TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know what the difference is with the co-codamol 30/500 and codeine 30 and paracetamol 500 as a seperate medication. I took the latter and am feeling very sick and light headed. I have been taking the combination for years and never had these side effects. Can anyone help
 
HI Patricia
Gee that is too bad. That GP should go back to school. It doesnt seem like she addressed the fact that your blood pressure is way up and that both ankles are swollen. Couldn't this be a completely separate issue from the surgery. You needed that addressed and also better pain control. How frustrating! It seems like you need a diuretic? Are you on one at all?
I have Norco. It has hydrocodone 10mg/and tyelenol (same as paracetemol) 325mg. I also have Vicodin 5 mg hydrocodone/and 500mg Tylenol. So I take different variations depending on how bad the pain is. I can just take part of a Norco if I want and get those dose that matches my pain and my doctor agrees with this. I keep track of how much Tylenol, no more than 4000mg per day. I am on an anti inflammatory called Celebrex. It helps my over-all arthritis. I keep trying to get off of it and go on a mild anti inflammatory but it is the only one that helps me overall.
Can you make an appointment with your regular GP or do you have to see a different one each time? I don't see the difference between your taking the combo pain pill or them separately except that you can take 2 30mg codeines with just one 500mg para. Is your OS okay with you regulating your dose such as taking 1 1/2 codeine so you get 45 codeine instead of taking 2 and getting 60mg. Codeine is well known for causing nausea. We are prescribed the hydrocodone more often than codeine over here. I noticed alot of patients were getting the oxycodone for pain but I just had one dose of that in hospital, it's stronger than the hydrocodone. Those drugs are all related but not exactly the same. So when you just took the dose that made you sick and light headed, was it just one of each? Did you take it on an empty stomach? I keep doing that, and it makes me nauseated but when I have pain I just forget. But codeine is worse on my tummy.
What is your b/p med name? And again, no diuretic? What's your b/p today?
 
Marianne, thank you for your post. Had a rough couple of days trying to sort out my meds. I dont usually see the doctor I saw on Monday but beause of my very high BP I had no choice. So now I am on reduced BP tabs, Amlodipine 5mg instead of the 10mg I have been taking for months now. The ankle swelling has gone down and my BP today was 158/77 which is a big improvement. I do have aa diuretic to add to this bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg which I also have been taking for a long time. I only remembered yesterday that I had a telephone consultation with the same doctor and she recomended and gave me a prescription for the 400g Iburofen and then told me off for taking it. I wish I had remembered it was her when I was in the surgery .I am not taking any iburofen now just back to my co codamol which seems to be working. Taking the codeine seperatley made me feel very very sick. So all in all seem to be back on track. My 8 week postop this Saturday and had my first full day out today and managed very well with the cane. Out from 10.30am untill 6oclock and knee was a bit swollen when i got in but I was very happy with my progress made after an awful week of feeling sick lightheaded and BP thru the roof. Hope you are ok and your good knee is behaving itself. Take care.
 
Hi Abby, Hope you are well. My meds at last have been sorted and I feel like Im back in the land of the living again. Had a few bad days when it wasnt really my knee bothering me it was all the meds making me feel very sick and lightheaded. She has halved the dose of my BP tablets to reduce the ankle swelling, the iburofen i have stopped taking completely and my BP has come down a lot so everything seems to be working I wont take the codeine seperately again Im back on my faithful co codamol which is enough at the moment for the pain in my knee. Had a lovely day today with a friend from my schooldays. We have known each other 49 years. She is recovering from stomach cancer at the moment, just finished her last round of chemo. My daughter acted as a chaffeur and bag carrier and we toddled around the shops with our canes, spent a lot of money (well I have been housebound for over 6 weeks) and had a really lovely day. Icing at the moment as I type and knee behaved itself very well. That has cheered me up no end after an awful week. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Pat.... I was starting to worry.... sorry you had such a bad week:console2: . I find I need to eat before I take my morning pills especially if I am taking codine as well... nausea sucks!
Glad you got out for a full day... I am finding if I do a full day I am coming back to normal faster but it still needs a day of rest before I can resume my regular activities.
 
Nice to hear from you Joy. auctually i was taking some meds before eating some mornings and in future I will be eating first. My knees are quite stiff today after all the activity yesterday so a restful day today with lots of icing. Take care x
 
Another day out yesterday seeing my son and grand daughter who thinks her nannys cane is very funny for some reason. Shes only three and after looking at it for quite a while kept grabbing it and holding on to it. As its bigger than her she looked really comical. Like one of the shepherds in the nativity. She cheered me up. When is the right time to climb the stairs 'normally' instead of one step at a time. Im quite good at the stairs now as ive done it since coming home from the hospital but not sure if my operated knee is strong enough at 8 weeks to take the weight of coming down the stairs normally. Be interested to hear other peoples experiences. Other than that doing very well and seem to be joing the 8 week club when things start to settle down and improve all the time. Heres Hoping.:flwrysmile:
 
I think your knee will let you know when it's the right time. Try a step or two and see how it feels. If its ok try a couple more. Or do a few one day and add a step a day until you do the whole flight. Just be sure to listen to it when it talks to you.
 
Patricia that's great! Your B/P so much better. Oh boy I sympathize with you about not remembering that it was that same doc that told you to take the ibuprofen that told you you shouldn't take it. Gotta love it..grrr.
Yeah ,the steps...I am practicing at home on my few steps and then at PT. I wouldn't take on a flight of steps, I would just do it "normal" a few of them until I felt safe enough. When I get really good on my front porch steps that are deep then I will do more. I feel I'm going into the 8 weeks club too! This week was like another baby hurdle where I just felt stronger.
Carry on!!!
PS What do you think of the poor nurse who passed on the phone call from the radio pranksters? So sad. I bet Kate was devastated upon hearing about it. Tragic.
 
I think everyone feels horrible about the poor nurse. The Australian DJ's should feel guilty, although they could never have imagined it would go so far. I feel bad for them, really, but I hope this is a lesson learned everywhere about pranking people and laughing at them. Isn't it really a type of bullying? On top of the pressure of humiliation by the palace and hospital, the poor nurse! This isn't the one that gave out information, but if she told the other nurse it was the queen, why would the other nurse immediately question it? Unfortunate all round. Sad.
 
Patricia, this was good conversation about blood pressure. Mine has been elevated and variable, but more consistently higher than it used to be. I'm not on meds yet. At six months, and just having finished the last Celebrex in the bottle yesterday, I think I will see how I do with just tylenol as needed. I'd like to be off all drugs before making a decision on the blood pressure. I know I'm due to go back and follow up with my GP about it.
 
Patricia, Sounds like you are having a lot of fun getting out and about. You asked about doing stairs. My stairs have two bends in them so I started by just doing one of the sections normally everytime I went up and down. Down has always been the easiest for me, as the knee is stiff but does not hurt going down and I am really strong, but up hurts somewhat. So now, at almost 15 weeks I go up and down normally most of the time, although at night before bed when I am really tired I go up one at a time. But I don't do a ton of stairs in the course of the day, so it is not like I am going up and down 20 times a day!
 
I took my blood pressure pills all the way through... in hospital and after surgery. I take nefedipine and losartan. My blood pressure is just about where it always is. There has been some ups and downs but mostly the same. I started to do some stairs 2 weeks ago but on days where my knee says I have done too much I skip doing any I don't have to... there are a few steps at several places we go and I do not avoid them by using the wheel chair ramps any more.
 
It is awful about the nurse. She was a Mum of two kids and didnt auctually tell anyone any details. Literally just put the call thru. Of course our press is full of it at the moment. Most of it saying that it will spoil Kate and Wills memories of the first few weeks of their pregnancy. What an awful thing to happen and the two DJ's are now getting counselling because of all the comeback they have had and they have had to closee their twitter accounts because of abuse. Well I wonder if that poor nurses partner children and friends will have counselling to deal with all this. Probably not.
 
Patricia, I have read some stuff about the nurse, but I am confused. Do they think there is a relationship between her death and the fake calls? Or is it just that she happened to die of something after this happened?
 
No Lisa she committed sucicide because of all the trouble it caused. They found her yesterday in the nurses home. Such a waster of a life because someone thought it would be funny to put a joke phonecall into the hospital.
 
Patricia, All the things I read never said she committed suicide, they just said the police were withholding what the cause of death was. How awful and sad. Thanks for letting me know.
 
I can't believe people can be so uncaring!!!! Before my surgery I went to my hospital's website and they had a video of the surgery. It was narrated by one doctor and there were two separate surgeries done by two different doctors, one of which was my surgeon. All during the surgery the doctor explained in detail what he was doing. Then after the two surgeries all three doctors sat down together and answered questions. It was very informative, but also very scary to think of what they were going to do to my knee. I really liked my surgeon, but seeing him perform the surgery made me feel more comfortable with my decision having him do the surgery.
In one of my pre op visits, I mentioned to him about the minimally invasive procedures. He shook his head and said that as a surgeon it really angers him when he hears that. He said the incision might be smaller, but when they get in there they use chisels, saws, drills, and no way it is minimally invasive.
 
Patricia, All the things I read never said she committed suicide, they just said the police were withholding what the cause of death was. How awful and sad. Thanks for letting me know.
O they said that from the start here. On all the bulletins and in all the newspapers it was announced she had committed sucicide and there were pictures of her work colleagues arriving at work to hear the awful news. The hospital never once blamed any of its employees for what happened and the Royal family didnt want anyone blamed for the call. It was just a prank gone horribley wrong.
 
I guess the things I read were US news and they probably got it wrong, or maybe I just read too fast and missed something!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom