TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having problems with my blood pressure, Tonight when itook it it was 209 over 96. Think i had better see my GP tomorrow.
 
I think you should....that's a wee bit high there Robyn! Hope everything is ok and it ends up just being one of those things...
 
I'm always having problems with my bp. I just took i again and its down to 196/84. I will go first thing. Why do you think emergency room as a matter of interest.
 
I just consider that a normal BP is 120/80---I would be concerned that it is around 200. Just my opinion, though. Why don't you call your personal physician and see what he or she says?
 
Actually, they now would prefer a BP less than 120/ 80----more like 110/70.
 
Okay Patricia keep us posted! Was anything different today/tonight/yesterday? Is your sphygmo one of those that automatically pump up or is the regular old fashioned type with a bulb you squeeze to inflate the cuff. Our paramedics told me that that is one of their most common house calls for people afraid of their b/P. Then the paramedics get there and take it on the city equipment and their readings are close to normal. So when you go in, be sure and take your b/p machine with you so you can compare it's results right after the nurse takes your reading on their equipment.
Did you have alot of caffeine or increased pain? Poor baby. Practice slow deep breathing. And let us know how it goes in the morning.:friends:
 
Hi Marianne, my bp cuff is the type that pumps up but I have known in the past it has been a different reading from the one in the GP surgery. That was why I was a little hesitant last nite to go to emergency room. That said it is really very high at the moment so am going to see GP 4oclock this afternoon. Ive been having a problem with my BP meds as they were making my ankles swell then after my TKR my ankle was swollen from the op so they balooned out. Hopefully sort the meds out today and get the bp down. My Mum died from a stroke at 62 due to high BP so I always keep an eye on it. Will let you knw I get on later.
 
Josephine; can you advise. Am going to GP later to sort my BP meds out, hopefully find one that dosent make my ankles swell so much. But while I am there I would like to try and sort my painkiller meds out. I am only on co-codamal 30/500 two four times a day and iburofen 400 two four times a day. I cant take tramadol. What is the bonsesmart cocktail that seems to suit most people or does it contain tramadol. I was going to ask for maybe more coidene and paracetamol. Would that be right. I am just not coping with the meds I am taking at the moment. Still a lot f pain at seven weeks post op. Thank you
 
One of the problems with automated blood pressure monitors is that they are too accurate. They can hit the difference between the pulse and the space between beats. See an excellent video explaining this here. Therefore you need to recheck the reading at least three times.

[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues


This can account for a considerable difference in readings and is often the reason why GPs and paramedics who are using spirometers think these machines are faulty. Mostly they are not though non-medical people often fail to have their machines recalibrated by the manufacturer every year. Paaramedics tend to use Wright's aneroid meters (below) which aren't so specific and, much like the old fashioned mercury machines in a wooden or metal box that has to be used with a stethoscope, the number can be 'grabbed' from the dial as the needle descends. Therefore (I argue!) it is actually less accurate than a digital machine.



Another factor is your position when taking BP. The arm should be almost level with the heart and supported on a table or chair arm and relaxed

[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues



As for the numbers, ideally, we should all have a blood pressure below 120 over 80 (120/80). When I started out in OH, the elevated numbers were considered to be acceptable provided it was 100+the patient's age (?) and under 100 or 2 digits. Over the years it has been reduced and reduced until now, it is only considered safe if the systolic is <120 and the diastolic is <85.
 
Josephine thanks for the information!!! You are right too, we sure never get our sphygmos calibrated! I was shown a way to do it where you press a paper clip into a little hole to zero out the dial but not sure if that is the only way it's done, doesn't seem like it should be.
Patricia, I had my surgery 3 days after you and I still have ALOT of pain in both knees so don't feel like you are alone on that. And I am making good progress with my strength, but the pain continues. I get swelling in just the operated leg/ankle, never in both ankles. Did you get that edema before your surgery as well?
Anxious to hear what the GP does for you today!
 
Arghhhh Conversation between me and my GP. My ankles are swelling a lot and my BP has rocketed. OK stop taking iburofen that makes you swell and can make your BP go up. But i need iburofen for the swelling on my knee. Well whoever told you to take iburofen is wrong with your high BP. Well auctually it was the Hospital after my. op. The swelling on your knee will go down eventually. Stop the iburofen. OK......... what about painkillers. Carry on with co codamol without iburofen. No sorry that wont be enough. Im in quite a lot of pain. Tramadol then. I cant take that. O well nothing else you can do. I said how about more codeine and paracetamol. O yes we can try that. O Thankyou. Reduced my BP tablets from 10mg to 5mg. See how that goes. I have had quite a big op i said. All ops are big. Dont make a fuss and dont give up yet. I give up. Sp codeine and paracetamol it is but not sure how much different that is from co codamol. Wish i hadnt bothered going.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
Noting that we are all different, I never found any medication that reduced my knee swelling. The only thing that really worked for me was elevating--toes above nose
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
--and icing, icing, icing
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
for long periods of time. I also made it a point to at least elevate--toes above nose--any time I was on my feet for more than 30 minutes. Don't know if this would work for you, but just thought I'd share.
 
Brownie51; what medication are you on Marianne. Is the co-codamol same as the codeine and paracetamol I have been given, I,m confused
 
See if you can try Voltaren for the swelling. I take it and it helps. My mom who has awful blood pressure problems has been able to take it too and it helps her. There is a generic of it that i use so it's only a few dollars.
Sorry your doc wasn't very helpful :headbang:
 
I love the Voltaren Gel. I found it over the counter when I was in Mexico. Was so impressed with how quickly it relieved my arthritic pain. Go see my GI the next week after we got home, and was told I am NOT allowed to use it and it could cause bleeding issues in my intestines (I have Crohns Disease)! I was so bummed!! Found out it is in the NSAID family and another one I could not use. But it works so well. I am allowed to use it once or twice a month only, and let me tell you I follow my docs and only use it once or twice a month, so I save it for those REALLY bad days. Hugs!
 
Hey I will defnitley try that. Thank you both. I am willing to try anything at this stage, Next time I will try and see a different doctor. She wasnt really very helpful at all today.
 
Patricia,
Co-codamol is a combination pill of codiene and paracetamol all included in one pill. Hope this helps.
Thank you Rose. So i was taking two 30/500 co codamol four times a day. And now I am taking 500mg paracetamol and 2 30mg codeine phosphate four times a day. That seems the same to me. Plus im taking minus the iburofen. So it seems Im worse off and it was all a complete waste of time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom