Guest viewing is limited

THR Onward, forward for NextStep

@NextStep As I was walking into the kitchen this afternoon using my hiking stick, I realized I feel more stable with it than a cane. While I was recovering from my knee surgery, Chris suggested using a walking/hiking stick instead of a cane because one stands up straighter with the hiking stick. Shortly before I started having problems with my knee, I had bought a beautiful hiking stick with a rubber tip (like on a cane) at Mount Nebo, which was one of my favorite places to hike. I definitely do stand straighter while walking with my hiking stick. I thought you might like to try one for stability.
 
So happy to find your update and you are not too worse for wear. How is your elbow? I was extra worried for it!
Walking sticks can be great and several members have loved using theirs.
I'm not certain a walking stick would work for you,though, just because of your healing right elbow. My reasons are because the walking sticks, which I love, can irritate my wrist, which then impacted the elbow. Maybe you will have a difference experience though.
My wrist can be a problem for me, and I actually have had the "good" luck to have fractured both elbows at different times.
I always felt confident with my cane.. and loved even more when I used two canes, one in each hand!

@NextStep
 
Last edited:
@CricketHip , strange that you ask about the elbow this evening it's been bothering me and feels like something may be "off" above the elbow itself, within the soft tissues. I sure hope nothing is goofy with ligament repair or such!
It will do no good to worry though, and tomorrow the priority is a radio-frequency ablation (unrelated to hip or elbow). If the elbow is still cranky though, I'll likely contact the surgeon for evaluation or to see whether we wait for the 6 week hip follow-up appointment. The knee and hip are somewhat painful tonight, yet that is within a normal range of the past week anyway. Today I've only been up and about doing normal ADL stuff inside, no longer outdoor walks due to the fall.
 
Last edited:
Re: a hiking stick, I have to chuckle just a bit. A sibling made sure I was supplied for "getting older" as I hit one of those "Hallmark birthdays," you know, the ones that end in 5 or 0? A nice tall wooden hiking stick, Geritol, some sort of liquid nutritional drink like Ensure or Glucerna.... and this was before I'd ever seen my surgeon. :heehee:
 
Geritol, hahaha! That brought back sweet memories of watching the Lawrence Welk Show with my great grandma as a young girl! Thanks for the memory.

Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a beautiful day! :SUNsmile:
@NextStep
 
Wow, one month and I'd nearly let it pass by! I've just been counting the weeks. And today felt nearly normal, with the post RFA pain as my primary challenge and the hip as a minor irritant...except for the conclusion of a meeting while sitting in quite an uncomfortable chair. As a friend says, "first world problem"--so quite a good day indeed.
 
The past couple days have really been encouraging! Although I did have pain at bedtime, daytime hip pain has been reasonable both days. Today I worked around 5 hours straight through, followed by 2 hours of errands. Even then I used only the cane. I'm moving with greater freedom than before surgery so I'd consider this a win!
 
Although I realize every recovery is different, I'm curious. For a posterior approach, single hip, how long do folks generally use a walker vs cane when outside the house? How about the "ice and elevate " routine? I had a friend who said she never elevated her operated extremity with her recent hip replacement, and expressed surprise that I had been advised to do so. It made me wonder a bit how much others have.
 
Hi NextStep, I hope you had a good week!
I experienced the posterior approach also. I transitioned from a walker to a cane around 11-12 days post op. I used the cane until I was about 3.5 weeks post op, but I did keep it in my vehicle "just in case' I ever felt I needed it. The use of assistive devices really varies from person to person for many reasons. There is no right / wrong or exact timeline involved. A benefit in using a cane while away from home early on is it signals people to stay away, allowing you space and less worry about someone bumping into you, especially in a crowd.

Honestly, I was not a great patient when it came to elevating, but we definitely recommend it and I do understand the benefit in doing so. I was a HUGE fan of icing. Iced pretty much non-stop for the first several weeks.
I'm sure others will stop by to weigh in also.
Have a great Sunday!
@NextStep
 
I'm 5 1/2 months post op still bring cane with me for visits where I have to navigate folks lawns, some are very uneven. Even going into grocery store, as Layla said, gives fair warning to give you some space. I put cane in shopping cart and I can get around grocery store no problem.
In the house I'm device free, but still ice once or twice a day as needed. I do keep cane next to bed at night for those bathroom trips in case I feel unsteady climbing out of bed.
I don't think there's a timeline, it's what works for you.
 
@NextStep My hip situation was quite different from yours since I had both done at once. I only used a walker for a couple of weeks and found it too awkward around my house (rugs over hard wood floors) so I changed to crutches (which I had used before the surgery). I used those for a month or so for inside and outside walking ... then went to a cane. At my last post op visit with the surgeon (at about 9 weeks) I was able to walk to his office carrying the cane over my shoulder like a rifle. His nurse accused me of showing off and I admitted that I was. :heehee:

As for elevating and icing ... I could not have gotten through recovery without doing both! I had rented a hospital bed and slept with both legs elevated and with ice packs applied for nearly 3 months. I found, for me, the elevating and icing helped reduce the swelling in my legs and helped with pain management.

Everyone is different so you do what works best for you.
 
Thanks, I had wondered if I was too far off track. I've been doing okay without the walker most of the time at home, other than that random fall which had made me more cautious when tired or at day's end. Around home, I'll either use cane or nothing, depending on fatigue, pain level and activity. When out I'd been using the walker most of the time until the past three days, and it seems the cane is now sufficient unless I'm walking a distance or facing fatigue/ pain.
Gut instinct said ice and elevate would still be wise for a bit; just wanted confirmation if that was within reason or not.
Thanks again for the peer support here.
 
@NextStep I kept my walker next to the bed for those late night bathroom breaks. Didn't want to chance a fall because I was a bit groggy. I also sometimes went back to the walker if I'd had a really long day and could feel the fatigue coming on. And I would put it in the car if we were going somewhere that might involve a long distance or crowds so I could switch over from the cane. Its definitely different for each individual. I thought I was ready to go cane only but the PT I was seeing at the time for my gait kept me on it a bit longer. Had to remind myself we're not in competition with anyone else and just concentrate on my well-being and recovery.
 
Longest walk yet, right around 3/4 mile outdoors (with the walker)!

Yes, for longer walks I still like the security of the walker, plus it seems my gait is more even on uneven sidewalks with the walker rather than the cane.
 
for longer walks I still like the security of the walker, plus it seems my gait is more even on uneven sidewalks with the walker rather than the cane.
@NextStep , being safe and steady is the most important thing I think. You will know when it is time to ditch your walker and move on to the cane. I am 8 weeks post-op and still use a crutch or cane when I go out, but am walking indoors without aid for 90% of the time. I started off walking without aids in my apartment, lightly touching walls and furniture and only doing it for a few times initially. I gradually increased the time for walking without aids indoors when could feel my left leg getting stronger over time.
 
It's almost unreal to me, today marks five weeks since day of surgery. Daytime, I'm beginning to feel almost normal. In fact, someone asked me this morning how pain is, and I thought -- it's more of an irritation along the line of a mosquito bite, so very different than life before surgery. Most nights are still a challenge, sometimes taking quite a while to fall asleep due to pain, yet I know "it's only temporary."
I chuckle when I think -- pain often waits till within an hour of bedtime to make an appearance, and sometimes waits till I'm actually in bed. It just doesn't play fair! Ah, well. This shall pass. Overall I am grateful for the progress so far.
 
@NextStep Five weeks. Yea! Have you talked with your OS about the pain you have at night? Since you feel almost normal during the day, if you aren’t a working member of the ODIC, the pain at night seems unusual to me, although you have made a great deal of progress. However, maybe having pain at night is more normal than I know.
 
I did talk with the OS about pain at my 2 week appointment, and he gave a script at that time, but said anything from there would be managed by my pain clinic doctor.

He and I both agree that my pain could be complicated at least in part by other ongoing issues. Since I have faced chronic neck pain for several years (in addition to chronic migraine), it's not a matter of simply getting rid of hip OA for a quick and easy pain-free life. That said, daytime relief is significant for which I thank God.
 
5 weeks is still very early in recovery...
As I mentioned before, Nights were certainly when I was the most uncomfortable...
So glad you are seeing big improvements from pre-op pain.:yes!:
Family and friends began commenting on how much younger I appeared even when I was still using walking aides and I was somewhat confused. I think it was getting rid of that grimace on my face etched there by pain and depression.

It took me several months to get a full nights comfortable sleep going... So keep the faith!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom