Guest viewing is limited

THR Onward, forward for NextStep

@Mojo333 , thanks! Last night I managed sleep with no meds for pain (not even tylenol) so that was huge, even if sleep was interrupted a time or two. Slight discomfort over pain, that was progress!
 
It's been a busy week. Today I scheduled a rest day, knowing that I had something to do the other four weekdays this week, either work or an appointment out which would require focus and decisions each day.

Last night I felt emotionally spent as night fell. Nothing big, just drained. This morning brain fog is real, concentration takes more energy than normal, leaving me with an odd question. (I might know the answer, but it's not what I would have prepared for two months ago, so once again I'm sort of checking in with those who've been through this path before me -- seeing if I'm off base or not.)

The question is: With a joint replacement like this (total hip) -- does recovery involve just the physical recovery (perhaps with side effects of mental/emotional just coming along for the ride, as it were) -- or does optimal recovery take physical, mental, emotional into account all along the way?

If the latter, how did you implement that in practical ways when physical, emotional and mental energy were somehow out of sync on a given day?
 
@NextStep That is a good ... and very complex .... question. Yes physical, mental, and emotional factors play into every recuperation. And every person's recuperation is different. Individual personality traits, how they handle stress, other stresses in their lives in addition to joint replacement, how their physical health is other than the surgery, what kind of support system they have, what medications they are taking (and the side effects if any to those) etc, etc. Lots of things play into how any given individual handles the whole gestalt of joint replacement.

One thing that helped me personally was having realistic expectations of what joint replacement recuperation was going to be like (thanks BoneSmart for giving me that!). I also had worked in a big medical setting for many years and was probably more medically knowledgeable than some others.... not on a nurse or doctor level by any means. I also knew that there would be a LOT of physical and emotional energy required during recuperation and expected that to sometimes hit me out of the blue. It is totally normal to have down days after any surgery! It is also normal to have doubts and worries about "how am I doing? Will it ever get back to normal?" Just trust the process! Things will get better! For me the new normal of having pain free hips (and later pain free shoulders) was so much better than the old "pain filled normal" that I rejoiced with every new "Whoopee I can do that and not hurt" moment that came along.... even if I felt exhausted and needed a nap after what ever moment that was.

So when I had down time I'd invite a friend over (any one of my upbeat, encouraging ones), or watch a funny movie, or listen to my favorite "improves my mood" songs, or sink into a really good book, eat chocolate, take a walk, sit in the back yard and enjoy my lovely space, or take a nap ... it would depend on what I felt I needed. I also tried to stay focused on my own progress and not compare myself to anyone else ... especially not to those who seemed to just skip through everything and be back to everything normal in just a few days or weeks ( I guess there are those who do that but mostly think such stories are urban myths).

I hope this helps you! From what I've seen read on your thread it appears to me that you are doing very well! Chin up, ear lady, all is progressing nicely. :friends:
 
Today it's that I feel like I've spent my mental energy (concentration, focus) for the week. Not so much "down" as just needing extra time off to recharge but not due to pain. Does that make sense? Maybe the physical recovery takes some of the reserves I'd normally use in other areas so allow extra grace there? Otherwise overall recovery may slow or stall? Just thinking out loud.
 
Maybe the physical recovery takes some of the reserves I'd normally use in other areas so allow extra grace there?
Well put thought.
And a legitimate strategy for healthy recovered folks too.

I needed this today.
I've had alot of stress that has been stretched across family illnesses and dynamics but the last few weeks at my job have been very physically taxing and we have had ridiculously hot weather that exhausts one.
It certainly has been harder on my mental acuity and emotional stability.

Think I'll give myself some grace too!:) :-) (:
 
It is indeed a mental as well as physical journey and only those who have experienced it can speak to it. "Friends" who have best intentions but never had any type of surgery can never advise only encourage which I hope you have a solid "friend" base.
In the beginning I was in a big hurry to just get on with it and then realized it wasn't going to be a speedy recovery.
Many crying jags in early recovery.
Now when I know I'm going to have a busy week I try and give myself a "mental and physical health day" Like yesterday, really overdid it this week so yesterday I did very little.
We are going to a 50's sock hop type outdoor event this afternoon so I just relaxed yesterday and today my body is feeling much better.
Please talk about your feelings, it helps cause more than likely we've all experienced it.
All my best.
 
With a joint replacement like this (total hip) -- does recovery involve just the physical recovery (perhaps with side effects of mental/emotional just coming along for the ride, as it were) -- or does optimal recovery take physical, mental, emotional into account all along the way?
If we're not doing well mentally / emotionally it definitely can affect the physical. Joint replacement is an emotional journey for most with highs and lows. First there is the pain and loss of mobility, then the reality of the diagnosis, followed by if / when to schedule surgery. Most often once surgery is scheduled there is anxiety over the process of surgery and recovery and concern over possible complications. After surgery, while most are relieved, we face recovery which initially can feel monumental. We wonder if were doing it right, PT, or no PT, push it more or take it slow. Some days it feels as though we are progressing at a snails pace and can become easily frustrated with the effort it takes to do everything, longing for our independence. The good news is it does all fall into place along the way, weeks turning into months as we heal, regain our strength, stability and the ability to once engage in all we love. It just keeps getting better and you are on your way! :happydance:I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Stay in touch, we're here for you always.:)
 
@Mojo333 i am thankful if my wondering encouraged you to offer grace and self care. That's part of community, iron sharpening iron.

Thanks to all for the confirmation and encouragement. It helps. I'm not sure how I'll do it yet It seems wise to slow down for the next couple of weeks at least. Momentum is just hard to fight.
 
6 week update: I saw my OS today. X-rays look good, healing is on track and he saw no problems after the fall from two weeks ago. He removed several restrictions though he cautions against bending and twisting at the same time. Stairs, walking longer distance, lying on operated side are all fine as tolerated. He felt I was doing really well and will see me in December unless something comes up or I think I need to be seen sooner. I went out for soup and salad at Olive Garden to celebrate!
 
Great update! Good to hear all is looking well and you're progressing as you should.
Thanks for sharing an update. Enjoy the rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@NextStep
 
Back before surgery I had debated whether to fly to a conference this week, at not quite six weeks post-surgery. I made the decision to cancel my flight and attend what I could via livestream. It was a wise decision even though I am walking around the house without cane or walker most of the time and the OS is pleased with progress. I've found myself worn out by the end of each day, even without the travel or necessary walking at venue. So far I've viewed around 15 hours of livestream and still need to catch up on one extra session.
I'm grateful for the collective experience of folks here, as well as a general attitude that encourages each person to consider their own situation to find what will work best for them.
 
I'm grateful for the collective experience of folks here, as well as a general attitude that encourages each person to consider their own situation to find what will work best for them.
Yes, that's the great thing about this forum. It certainly helped me in my recovery. It's easier to trust those that have "been there done that", rather than trust a one size fits all approach, because as we all find out...it doesn't work that way. I believe you made the right decision for this point in your recovery.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend! :)
 
Hey there. Just wondering if at this stage the type of mild ache or "pulling" in the hip area is likely just those soft tissues still settling into a new normal? I do know the old hip had to make do with life as it was for quite some time, likely 4 to 6 years at least as I look back. It seems I notice it mostly after extra busy times or at end of my day.
 
Yes, I certainly had the sensations/discomfort you describe at 2 months out and for many more months although it became more intermittent.
Still early days, my friend.
 
This evening I opted in for an experiment: I mowed the front and side lawn. Opted to hold off for later on the back yard till I see the 24 hour reality check on tonight's escapade. The slightly uneven ground with all the turns proved a little challenging but not bad.
 
Good idea! Let us know how you feel today.
I try and push a little further each time I try a new chore/job/adventure.
And I try to schedule quieter days day after. Seems to be working.
 
Well, there was no need for pain meds last night, and I slept ok till around 5 or 5:30 so that's decent.

The big challenge is that I ran out of steam around 8 or 9 this morning. Took a nice long nap and it seems I'm out of steam again by 3 this afternoon.

I suppose that's not too surprising after the equivalent of working full-time last week between online conference sessions plus working from home and in office. Oh, and toss in a few errands for work - two to three days of running here and there to get this and that. Th en figuring out technology that was new to me. All of this would tire me out, I suspect, without involving any type of yard work. So today I've managed one online meeting...and am headed for a second nap.

I'm feeling like "things are back to (nearly) normal, I should be good to go." The doc doesn't need to see me again till December, after all, right? Yet I'm fatigued. And I can already hear someone saying "it's still early days." So how long do "early days" last, I wonder? Help me put them in perspective, please. I suspect I need to reset my "back to normal" meter for sake of long term recovery.
 
@NextStep "Early days" varies from person to person. Those "nap attacks" for me lasted for about 6 months after my BTHR and about 3-4 months after each shoulder replacement. It take a LOT of energy to heal and the healing is not limited to just the incisions. Much internal healing needs to occur too. And the body does much of it's healing during periods of sleep. And when you add working, normal "taking care of house and family business" into the mix you get fatigue. You have had 2 major surgeries within 6 months ... so try ( yeah right?) to pace your self a bit better for a while longer. Truly this too shall pass.
 
The back yard still waits. A 24 hour reality check was not a bad thing to do before proceeding. Pain ramped up Tuesday afternoon and evening, slowly but enough that sleep pretty much eluded me till 4 a.m Wednesday. After working till 1 Wednesday then running an errand, I surrounded to the increased pain once more. Called it a night by 8 pm. Or that was the plan.
Whether a "bug" or simply a combination of heat, fatigue and pain, I ended up sick. Thankfully a Covid test was negative but today has been nothing but rest!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom