Bilateral PKR One Year Update

I too thought of you last night, and first thing this morning I looked in to see how you’re doing. What a scare you had! But of course you were trying to take care of your dog. You were doing exactly what you were supposed to be doing, a daily activity, and using your knees. Accidents happen, but still... no one needs them. You are so very fortunate you were wearing a coat and fell the way you did, covering your face.

Let us know how your poor knees (and of course you as a whole) are doing.
 
Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. How scary for you!
 
How are you today? Were you able to get any sleep? We're all hear to listen!
 
Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I stretched the last of the Diluadid out through the night and got some rest. All through this whole BTKR thing my sleep hasn't suffered much. I'm very lucky for that. My knees are very sore but it doesn't look like anything weird is going on. I'm walking slower but still walking so that's good. Was able to walk up the stairs but I can't stand as long as I could before fall

@Nick-UK Yes, I'm calmer, still a bit shaky. Confidence in my knees is still high but confidence in myself is pretty low right now

The Dr office just contacted me and want me to go to ER for x-rays. Daughter is taking off work in a few minutes and will take me to Boston. Not going to be a fun trip but would still prefer to have check up done there than local Urgent Care or ER where they probably don't know diddly about TKR's.

Did I just perform a Manipulation w/o anesthesia? :groan:. Thank you again for all being here
 
Be safe rather than sorry, even forgetting your knees its worth getting looked over for a head injury so be sure to explain the whole incident.

Your progress to date has been amazing so I am sure you will be back on track soon
 
I’m so glad your doctor is being cautious and ordering X-ray’s. I think we are all afraid of falling, I know that I am. I’m glad you had family there that was able to get you out of a very precarious situation. I shudder to think about what could have happened if you had been alone.
 
I thought by documenting this that it might help the next person this happens to. Plus I really needed to be able to talk it out with all of you. I think most of our families would be horrified at what we all really go through but we try to protect them from the worst of it.
 
I'm planning on leaning my portly frame on you lot too. Good to have a group of kindred spirits

Given my weight you could all be pressed into the ground up to your newly replaced knees though :heehee:
 
Please let us know what you find out. You are doing the right thing going to the ER. Are you having any bleeding?
 
I'm so glad you're all right, @SherrieT. That fall could have been so much worse!

It's only a couple of weeks since you had this major surgery. Please don't start trying to do any of your regular routine yet. For the first month, you should do almost nothing apart from rest, ice, elevate, medicate on time, and take short walks around the house. Your knees need this time, so they can start to heal.

Just to remind you, check your activity against this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
I don’t know what kind of device I have
Pretty substantial. Like a house brick? Trouble is, if you take a tumble, most of the pain is from the soft tissue being squished between the metalware and the concrete! So you might be bruised some but your new knees will be just fine!

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update
 
I really picked a great hospital and Ortho team. Daughter drove me to Boston and went to Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital ER. Took awhile to get the xrays done but as soon as they were several members of my Ortho team were right there checking them out. They didn't put me in a regular ER room because they said that they would know soon if I would be going right upstairs or out the front door :thumb:.

And luckily it was out the front door. Hardware looked perfect. They took off my bandages (finally) and incisions look great. They gave me scripts for enough pain meds until the scripts in the mail were delivered and gave me small lecture on "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should". Let me know that more soft tissue and muscle pain would be popping up and to let them know if something seemed not right.

They were sure right about more aches and pains. By the time we got home legs and thighs were telling me to take 2 pills and go to bed.

On the way home daughter asked me "so when you fell you ended up on your knees and sitting on your heels, right? How much flex is that and if you could do it then why couldn't you do it before you fell. And why can't you do it now?". I didn't hit her over the head because she was driving.
 
So glad to hear that you are okay. We all fear falling.

Take care of yourself.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom