Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR One Year Update

Wow, putting on and taking off your socks since day 1 is amazing! I can hardly do that now! Of course, I'm on the heavy side and my tummy gets in the way. That doesn't help matters at all!

I got a FitBit today and a band to wear it on my ankle.
I don't swing my arms when I walk because I'm usually carrying something in my left hand. It felt weird to wear my GearFit on my right arm, so I bought a Fitbit Zip. I wear it on my pant leg or on the top of my socks. It's neat to see just how much walking we do and don't even realize it!
 
I have all the symptoms of UTI but the pain but I’m wondering with all the pain pills I’m taking, would I even be able to feel it?
 
I would call maybe the hospital Sherri where you had your surgery done and ask for the orthopedic surgeon on call....I say this because I am only assuming it is after hours of an urgent care being open. Even if the hospital has a nurse on call and she will know how to proceed after you have told her your situation. My ortho docs are very cautious with UTI's...just a thought
 
Yes, I think the pain from the UTI is different from surgical pain and the meds might not help it. I'd get to urgent care as soon as you can. UTIs seem to come easily to us after tkr patients. I had my first one about 3 months after my tkr. The sooner you get the antibiotics, the quicker you'll get rid of it. They are certainly no fun at all and you shouldn't put off getting it cured.
 
I went through the UTI protocol during my week 3 PO. I went to the ER and was placed on the AB for 10 days. Believe me you feel it! :censored::blackcloud::yikes: They asked me if I had a Foley cath. inserted for the surgery. My surgeon said that we are not in the OR long enough. They may do one in recovery. I have no recollection of any being used
 
Last edited:
Thank you all. I have message into my OS. They respond quickly and will give me direction on if I should contact PCP or if I should go through them. Either way it will be dealt with tomorrow. Thank you again
 
There was no waiting for me, I was in agony. To me, worse than PO pain. I hope you have some Depends on hand. No kidding.
 
Last edited:
Though I’m going to hope it’s not a UTI, just because it seems wrong to hope for an infection, I hope you get some relief today. :praying:

I’m so sorry to hear about your sweet pup passing. :boohoo: No other dog will ever take her place. You are truly her forever home.
 
Hi Sherrie, glad you are doing so well. I was going to say I was monitoring your movements to get an idea how I would progress but after some of your threads I could probably phrase it better
 
Was told to get sample to PCP but it sounded more like a case of not enough input = less output. Tend to agree but will err on side of caution. Thank you all
 
A UTI makes you feel like you have to go all the time and then it burns when you do. There can also be discomfort in the back area. Antibiotics will clear it up in about a week.
 
Last edited:
@SherrieT - a UTI can also make you feel disoriented. Hope it’s either not one, or you get some antibiotics fast.

@NickUK - it’s only 11 days? Oy!
 
Daughter took sample to PCP so should hear soon.

11 days post-op
Had PT today and went for another walk outside. 400 steps with my sticks. Super stoked about that. Went in the direction of the field I used to take Bashie for walks in. Made it seem much more real that someday soon I will be able to do so again.
This whole thing really is hard. I’ve been in the “why did I do this” frame of mind when I know perfectly well why I have done it and that it will get better. I’m a firm believer of crying it out. A good cleansing cry works wonders. Think I need one more to get me back to a better state of mind

I got a call and home nursing is coming tomorrow morning to release me. Just from the nursing, not PT. I’m going to tell them that I don’t feel comfortable with being released until my dressings have come off.

So that’s where I am now. Lots of stuff going on but nothing I can’t handle. Plus my OS is sending refill of Tramadol so that’s more good news
 
It sounds like things are under your control. You go, girl!
 
Hang in there, Sherrie! I too find my emotions are all over the place! Our knees are the unfortunate center of our world right now aren't they and it is almost impossible to get our minds off if them! Anxious to hear of your results, keep us posted!
 
Keep on top of it, you are doing great. Good to see that you are setting realistic goals and achieving them too

Good to keep everyone about you until you are happy without the visits.

I'm looking for a small bell ring so my OH can cater to my every whim if you know where to find one
 
Small bell to ring would work if OH could hear it. I've been known to call their cell phone to have something brought up the stairs. :heehee:
 
No UTI :happydance:
I'll be 13 days post op tomorrow and I think I'm getting to the place where some people have said they had the most pain - the 2 to 4 week mark. Pain levels have been increasing and I've upped my icing to help with it. Will be getting refill of meds (they are refilling Tramadol AND Dilaudid) in a few days and may switch to max dose rather than the min dose I've been taking for a bit. Thanks to BoneSmart the additional bit of pain didn't come as a surprise. Just another hurdle on the way to recovery.

Do any of you "vocalize" your pain? I remembered from my child bearing days that it was recommended that, while doing breathing exercises, we also vocalize when the pain is worse. Not out and out yelling but low-key to go along with the breathing. I'm not describing it very well. What I do is when I'm moving my legs or doing something that I know is going to be uncomfortable I'll do a little mantra along with my breathing (okay, most of the time the mantra turns the air blue). It really does seem to help. I've warned the kids that if they hear any noise from my living area don't worry, I haven't snuck anybody down here. :eyebrows:

Home nursing has to release me as they aren't doing anything the insurance will pay for but they said then the adhesive started coming off to give them a call and that will give them something they can bill and they'll have someone right over. I'm really curious to see incision, just not curious enough to "help" the adhesive along.

@Bionick Amazon has the bells. Don't they have everything? I wouldn't advise it. Your SO might "ring" your neck if you use it too many times
@Chattalyn - I use cell phone too if I need something really bad. Mostly use it to ask them to turn the stairway light off that they've left on and I don't feel like getting up for it.
@amymj - I haven't done any measuring, just walking a bit longer. I think with the additional pain I might have lost a bit of ground and don't want to get depressed over a temporary set back.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom