TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your supervisor. Does he let you cheat? Lol. Wish I could still have a dog or two. I would've felt so much better during recuperation if I did.
 
@PegGar16 - He's from Mansfield, Connecticut, the Red Sox part of Connecticut :). My in-laws are in North Andover, MA. I *love* visiting Boston! I'm a history buff and the Revolutionary history there is like Disney World for me! We went to visit the John Adams house last time we were there and I got in trouble for taking photos inside. Worth it! hahahaaaa

@lovetocookandsew - Thank you! You're not a dog person, but Dakota knew you have a sweet heart because she just HAD to be close to you :puppysmooze:. hehehehe

I know you're frustrated with your knee and I hope you can get answers and help at your next appointment or the doctor in Texas. Then we can lap each other!!

@Pumpkln - I'm sure that's true and that was a helpful article, thank you! "Just keep it in mind---the “You are here” is from the knee’s perspective, not from yours. The knee is in charge." Yep! It's easy to get impatient, but I'm trying to be realistic. And good.

@birdwatchr - She's the sweetest dog I've ever had! She has a ton of personality and is the gentlest creature. She'd let me get away with anything for a TREAT! (I can't even say that word out loud :snork:).

Once my knee is good, I'm going to train her to be a therapy dog. She LOVES people and loves to be around kids and having her ears scratched. I mentioned that plan to my vet and she thinks Dakota would be a perfect therapy dog. My first experience with a therapy dog was when my Mom had surgery and two golden retrievers came by to say hello. My Mom was in a two-bed room and the atmosphere changed and everyone was so happy to see them. I would love to do that.


One month today! I walked around the block, .33 miles, in my fastest time, 13:22. I'm not trying to race or anything, but it felt great to have a comfortable pace and my knee felt good and the quad was just a little less tight toward the end of my walk.

I celebrated my making my dairy and sugar free frap :cheers: (pretend that's coffee! hehehe) and put my leg on ice.

I hope you are all doing well today! :loveshwr:
 
My daughter is avoiding dairy right now, and no Starbuck's is killing her. What do you replace the dairy with in your fraps? She isn't a fan of non-dairy milks, but if I could make her one that tasted close, she just might survive......:)
 
You are doing so well. Your supervisor means business. A no nonsense kinda guy. And adorable. He'd make a great therapy dog with his cute face. I worked in a psych hospital and the patients loved when therapy dogs came to visit!
I, too, love the gymnastics and watch the next day to forward through the commercials and chit chat.
Congrats on the anniversary. love the card. Yes, add in a knee scar or an ice pack on the knee.
He has a good sense of humor.
 
While I was in transition care a sheltie therapy dog visited. I absolutely loved it! I think that's a great idea for Dakota!
 
My daughter is avoiding dairy right now, and no Starbuck's is killing her. What do you replace the dairy with in your fraps? She isn't a fan of non-dairy milks, but if I could make her one that tasted close, she just might survive......:)

My favorite treat drink at Starbucks is a coconut milk flat white—less milk than a latte. I had an almond milk mocha at a different coffee shop on my first outing post-surgery, but I didn't care for it as much. I rarely get anything beyond black coffee when going out always.

To make my frap at home, I fill a cup with ice and add unsweetened cashew milk (I much prefer cashew milk to almond) to the same level as the ice. I then add around a teaspoon of stevia and a teaspoon of unsweetened Guitard's cocoa. I'm still working on the amounts I prefer. For a caffeine kick, I add some freeze-dried
coffee. Put it in a blender and viola! A very low calorie and chemical- and dairy-free frap.


I couldn't help myself! Those spotted bananas were screaming at me!!! So I thought I would see how my knee would handle a bit of baking and there's a loaf of banana bread in the oven. I feel fine right now, hopefully will tonight, too. It's a challenge to find the right balance.
 
I make mocha/mocha light fraps, caramel fraps and caramel frap lights at home for myself and others all the time, but always with dairy. I have a Vita-mix which makes the best fraps! I don't know if she'll like cashew milk fraps as she doesn't like coconut or almond milk. I'll have to ask her if she likes the cashew milk. Thanks.
 
If you have a bar or island with stools you can mix, etc while sitting. Banana bread sounds delicious! I've been craving baked goods, but it's been so hot I don't want to turn on the oven. I make a lemon almond pound cake once a year at Christmas, but that's what I'm craving.
 
Good morning!

I felt good this morning so walked a little farther, .46 miles, and still feel good! I won't push it much more, but that's one lap around our neighborhood and I wanted to see how I did. Plus I got to ogle a neighbor's new Miata :snork:

Up on ice now.

@KarriB - I love to bake and I've been looking forward to making a mess in the kitchen :). Banana bread is pretty quick and those bananas weren't going to bake themselves. I have a stool, but am using it as a side table while I'm on couch duty. It's been a great table because it's strong enough to use when getting up, which was necessary the first weeks of recovery. My husband is building some side tables and the stool will be in the kitchen when those are done. It will be so helpful.

Lemon almond pound cake sounds soooooo good. My husband loves anything lemon. I found a recipe for lemon zucchini bread that's very tasty. That might be next.


I hope you are all feeling good this morning!! :wave:
 
Washing windows until it started storming this afternoon. But I believe in a few days my Buccos will be playing your Giants in SF!

Sounds like you're taking it easy with your walks but trying to build up a bit. If you feel any pain or swelling slow down. Good for you! Did the hubs clean up after the baking? :yes:
 
Yes, starting Monday! The Giants' mojo must be at the bottom of McCovey Cove. ugh!!!!!!

I haven't felt any real pain, but it got a bit stiff, so that was a good distance and not longer at this time. It's still a bit swollen from just being post-surgery, but the walking doesn't seem to make it worse. I am being diligent about elevating and icing.

I did the clean-up because he wasn't home from work and it was very minimal. I wanted to surprise him with the bread. I love to bake just before he comes home so the house smells good. He loves that. He does do all the post-meal clean-up.
 
@KarriB - Vogie!!!!!!!! :loveshwr:

Love him and am so glad he's recovered from the come-backer he took in the eye. He got a big ovation.

Forever Giant.
 
I'm so glad they did that! Really didn't think he'd be back and neither did Hurdle. He started out as a Pirate though.
 
Five Weeks!

I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a hard time. I'm at the absolutely "OVER IT" phase right now. So much is going well, but it feels like a struggle with my impatience and frustration kicking my bum. It gets tiring always feel the discomfort of the knee and not being able to just get up and go to the restroom without undoing icing machine (especially in the middle of the night), or not being able to drive and do what you want.

I've been good with elevating and icing, yet trying to do more around the house. And by more, it's one chore a day: put dishes away/clean counters, a load of laundry, dust the living room. I haven't done anything too strenuous. I'll help with dinner by making a salad or some prep, but my husband does the rest and all the clean-up. That shouldn't be too much at five weeks, I would think.

I've taken some walks, but did a shorter walk today, just around the block.

BUT, the swelling is still there and the incision is still not completely closed up.

I took these photos this morning.

The incision (I put strips back on it, per OS's instruction):
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

The swelling and redness:
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling


I know five weeks is early in a long recovery, but I'm really ready to get of the couch. It's important to look at the big picture—the long view—and be good, but it can be hard.

Thanks for listening to my whine. Time to suck it up, eh?
 
It's perfectly normal to go through ups and downs in recovery, and ups and downs in emotions. It's a very frustrating recovery, and some days are going to be better than others. I totally understand your frustration and desire to get off the couch and just live. It will be a slow climb, with some pitfalls along the way, but you will get to the top of that long hill and then look back at all you've gone through and accomplished with the knowledge that even though it was a rough road, it was worth it to get your life back. One day you'll be doing all those normal things of life with little to no thought of your knee. Getting there is hard, but you will get there. Feel free to whine; we've all been there and venting here helps.
 
I'm so sorry you are feeling that 5week, "I'm over it" feeling. But 5 weeks is still so early. I did nothing at 5 weeks. Getting dressed in the Am was exhausting. The house can survive awhile without cleaning. I would suggest that with your surgical wound still open that you spend much more time lying down and elevating, to give that baby time to heal. You don't have to do a daily chore...that is not in The playbook. Lying down, elevating your leg, will bring blood back to your wound site to help heal. Your life will eventually enlarge and you will eventually be able to be your old self but right now you are still needing to baby your knee.
I felt that trapped feeling terribly. I had to depend on volunteer drivers to take me to PT, and a friend to pick up a few groceries when she was at the store, ordered in food, which was mostly awful. I live alone, so no one to take up the slack. The house was my least concern.

I have my life back now, as I couldn't imagine back then.

It will return. Right now you need to let others help or let those chores go.

This will pass.
 
You are allowed to whine, we have all done it at one time or another, I can understand your frustration and lack of patience. That's what so great about BS we can share our feelings without being judged because there is always someone that has already been where you are today and understands what you are going thru.

I agree with @mamazipp forget about chores, there will be plenty of time for that, concentrate on resting as much as you can so that your wound can heal. Are you getting it wet at all during showers/baths??? I remember at 5 weeks I knew that I had to go back to work at 7 weeks and I would have anxiety just thinking that I would not be able to do it, I felt so tired and just couldn't see the forest for the trees. You will soon start to feel better, you wound will heal, just give it a little more time.

Sending healing prayers your way!!!
 
I agree, you need to elevate and get that wound healed. Everything else can go. You have a husband that is willing to help, take it. Your health comes first! And at five weeks I was also sick to death of this trial we're going through. I couldn't drive yet, either and if I did anything extra during the day, I suffered that night. So, except for your opened incision, I think you are completely normal. And we are are here to listen to you. We are your friends and we care and we pray for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom