TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
What wonderful news that your incision is nothing to worry about! And certainly it flattening out is a load off of your mind! Isn't Josephine a blessing?! And she is still on here comforting us when only 4 days out of surgery! She's truly a very unselfish and caring person. Thank you, @Josephine!
 
Yes, she had shoulder surgery on Aug. 1st.
 
Happy Sunday!

My sweet husband got me out of the house yesterday. We went for coffee (coconut milk flat white—yummmmmm), then later went to look at the new Fiat 124 Spider. I'm an absolute sucker for a roadster, and we had to eyeball it. I like it.

Then we went to Whole Foods. I hadn't done a lot of walking at once so was curious how I would do during the trip and after. I felt very good, but at the end, I knew I was done. I sat down while he checked out and he brought the groceries in and put them away. It was more walking than I have ever done since the surgery, but didn't feel like I joined the club :happydance:. I did pass out later and elevated and iced.


My knee felt good, as well as it has, this morning. I've taken TML's suggestion and sit on my bed and let my leg relax. It seems I'm about 80* or so while sitting there. I haven't measured it yet, tho. I'm resting my leg on a rolled-up towel for a couple minutes at a time for extension stretches. That's a big improvement!

I took my first walk in the neighborhood this morning! wooohooo! I had been very nervous about my driveway because while it's short, it's quite steep. I walked for ten minutes and it felt awesome. I'm looking forward to making walking a part of my morning routine and gradually walking further.

I'm elevating and icing while watching the Olympics. I *love* the women's orange bikes that turn yellow in the heat. So cool!
 
@Josephine always has just the right article and graphic to explain things. You are amazing, jo!

When my kids were little we camped across the US from NY to Calif, then back...3 kids in a VW camper, youngest child 8 months old.....it was fascinating to see the country. Later we moved to Calif and drove the southern route because it was winter....no VW camper then, We stayed in motels, but again, seeing the other side of the country....
 
Another great report! Now take it easy today after such a busy one yesterday. Knowing how to balance is half the battle. :egypdance:
 
@KarriB - Exactly! I'm trying to find that balance between resting & healing and working towards strength & ability. I still have swelling and stiffness, so need a lot of icing and elevating. I do admit to at times feeling at my wits end for being on my bum! But I know it's important to let my knee heal, so I'm being good. I've read other recovery threads in which people haven't given themselves time to heal and they suffer months down the road. I don't want to do that.
 
@dianehelen - I hope and pray that you have a smooth and steady recovery!

I'm blessed with a supportive and helpful husband who just wants me to recover well and doesn't complain about his additional chores.

I will be the happiest camper when I can drive and even happier when I can drive my Miata! It's a small thing and is harder to get in and out of it, but is the ultimate three-pedal therapy :driver:.
 
@LoveGiants you had a great weekend, good for you, it does feel amazing the first time you get out of the house to do something special, it's nice to get a little bit of normal back!!
 
I totally get the feeling of being "at your wit's end for being on your bum", I actually was looking forward to doing nothing but it's getting old fast! So, my surgery was one day before yours and we are doing similar-my son's birthday was today so we went to a movie, I was able to save a seat in between for my leg and I brought an ice pack and a pillow. I've been walking around a more this weekend, too, but haven't braved a store! Sounds like you are doing great!!
 
@uva55, it sure is wonderful to do more normal activities!

@LaylaHips, at least the Olympics are on now, so I have something to entertain me. I find I have a hard time binge-watching anything. The Whole Foods near us pretty small and I have my list organized by the layout of the store, so it didn't take too long and my hubby did all the lifting, loading, etc.

Movie sounds like fun and a great idea to bring ice and prop the leg. smart!

@mamazipp, I do! I haven't been able to drive it regularly for quite some time, so am hoping that my new knee will make it possible. My first car was a '65 MGB and I *loved* that car. I wish I still had it! I'd love to restore one when I retire. But in the meantime, a reliable roadster is a joy to drive.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling


My knee this morning:
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

It's still swollen and red. The incision is looking more closed, but not entirely. There is an open spot below the knee and that flap area is not quite done. I'm grateful for Josephine's input that it's sealed below the surface, but I put some strips back on it per my OS's office instructions.

I went for a walk this morning, a little farther than yesterday! .33 miles in 14 minutes. It felt great to walk and not have that grinding bone-on-bone misery! :happydance: I can feel surgery-related stiffness and soreness, but what an improvement from before surgery.
 
It looks better than the last photo, that's for sure. I love your little car! My nephew has a little black and orange scion. Ivy can be difficult to out of, but I manage.
 
Thank you for your encouragement. I was sooooooo happy to see the incision looking better.

Getting in and out of the Miata took some twisting of might right leg, which didn't help my hot mess of a knee. I can't wait to try it when I get my ROM back!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom