TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
His office just called, my OS saw the photos and not to worry and keep the Steristrips on it, to let them know if it looks worse, and it can take up to four weeks to look better.

That doesn't seem too normal to me, but I'll keep the Steristrips on and trust him. I'll keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get red or abnormal-looking. I was really hoping to get rid of the strips because I'm wondering if the latex from the strips and the bandages that I wore with staples might be causing the redness and I can feel the strips pulling when bending my knee.

I'm also wondering about working on bending my knee. Could that cause this? or at least not help?

Another bummer is that I can't get into the pool anytime soon. Yeah, not feeling all that patient right now :sigh:.
 
I agree it doesn't look right. Why don't you tag Josephine and let her look at the photo? She can give you much better suggestions than I could.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks pretty ugly, but it does look dry and not weeping/draining. I'll take that as a good sign. When I went thru my hip nightmare, it began from the incision constantly oozing drainage. I think you are ok, but glad you are watching it and are in contact with the OS office.

And really you are not even a month out.

Keep us posted
 
I would ask @Josephine for her take on the picture of your incision. Since there's no drainage I don't think there is anything to worry about. Follow your OS directions and just keep an eye on it.
 
I was thinking the same thing, Marian. Glad I read through all the posts. I can imagine that really bother you while bending your knee, Julie.
 
I understand your concern and frustration...I hope you start to see improvement soon... I agree with the others, tag Josephine...

You were very patient to just send a picture to your doctor, I would have parked myself in his office...

Feel better soon mmy friend :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, everyone. @Josephine, I would appreciate any input on the photo of my incision on the previous page.

I'm thankful it's not weeping or otherwise nasty. It's gross enough :). I just ordered some more steri-strips and will take another look at it next week and will be in contact with the OS.

@uva55 - I still can't drive yet :driver: and hubby is at work, so I'm stuck! The OS is out of town, so wouldn't have done any good anyways. He checked the photos while on a plane.
 
Jo may be in bed at this point, but she'll see it in the morning. How long is your OS gone?
 
Can't comment on the picture since I have no clue about it, but hopefully you get it all settled. I remember the frustration of not being able to drive and always having to wait for someone to either drive me or run an errand for me......but it'll soon be behind you. I am glad I can drive myself, even though I still have pain with the up and down movement required to accelerate, and I'm still braking with my left foot as I can't brake with the right yet. Did you watch today's game yet? I don't want to comment if you haven't.....lol. I watched it already, believe it or not, since I usually watch it late at night.
 
@KarriB - I'm not sure, I didn't ask.

@lovetocookandsew - I did and my lips are sealed. I get alerts on my iPhone for scoring, etc., so I always know what's going on.

I have a stick shift, so I have to use my right leg a bit more than with an automatic. I wish I could drive! And it's perfect top-down weather. There are twisties calling my name :driver: (I seriously love that dude)!!!!

I'm going to re-check my incision on Tuesday, which is exactly four weeks, and will call if it hasn't improved. I'm not going to worry about stretching/heel-slides until then and really give the incision time to heal.

In the meantime, I'm dreaming about campers!
 
I'm dreaming about them too. Hubby and I decided we need to go back to the RV place and seriously look at all the 5th wheels, see what their gross weight is, then go find a truck that'll pull the one we want, then buy the truck, etc. We decided a trailer is great for vacations, and 5th wheels are great to live in. And we want to live in ours for a year or so after he retires, and travel the country, plus take many month long trips before and after. So, it's likely we'll get a large 5th wheel.
I purposely avoid the internet, phone scores, etc, until after I watch the game as I hate spoilers.
Let us know how your knee does. I see my OS later this month, so we'll see what he has to say.
 
It's been a week and a half since my staples were removed and the incision still isn't healed or closed, and part of it doesn't look all that great.
The only thing that's wrong with your wound is that it's been closed clumsily. Instead of keeping the skin edges opposed, he has cause one side to be pulled under the other. In other words, it's a bit like a pleat in cloth. So don't worry, the wound is fully healed and where it looks like it's pulling apart, it's just the fold in the skin that's opening up. It's called an inverted skin edge. Ultimately the skin will flatten and spread out and that will look a bit ugly for a few months but in time it will even out and begin to look normal.

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling


You don't even need the Steristrips on it as you can plainly see the wound is perfectly dry and fully healed

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
Thank you, @Josephine! I'm glad to hear that it will be OK, if ugly for a bit.

@lovetocookandsew - that sounds like a great plan! 5th wheels do seem like a livable trailer. I like the separation of bedroom and living/kitchen area. It's so fun to look at them! I can't wait until I am able to window-shop campers :).

I would love to explore the US on wheels, too. I want to go back to Maine! My in-laws have a place on Frenchman's Bay, across from Mount Desert Island and that's one of my favorite places on earth. It's so gorgeous!! What an adventure to drive there and back and see the sights in between.
 
We have kids/grandkids from coast to coast, so we would not only see the US as we went along, we would see family, too. Our youngest just moved to Maine, so we would go there, also. I wish the heat would let-up as it's so hard to look at RVs in this heat.
 
@uva55 - Yes, so much relief! It's hard to see things clearly when it's your own knee. And I'm a complete and utter wuss when it comes to anything remotely icky and to me, that was icky! :rotfl:

I'm going to leave the steri-strips on it because otherwise that lose skin would drive me bonkers!

@lovetocookandsew - What fun to be able to see family along the way! Most of mine is in Canada, so it would be fun to cruise up there, too. My husband's brother and his family live in Maine and I'm looking forward to going back. We've talked about possibly retiring there along the coast, but that would be a little far from our daughter (and hopefully **future** grandkids :)).

It's going to be cooler for the next week or so, which is awesome! Perfect RV shopping weather :yes!:.
 
You are so right..I was terrified of infections so I was always super careful and followed OS orders even when I thought he was being a little over cautious, better safe than sorry!!!
 
You have NO idea of MY terror of infections from this, after living thru the infection nightmare year of my hip. Im so glad josephine had a great explanation.
 
I'm glad Josephine reassured you about your knee-it didn't actually look open to me but I really know nothing about all that stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom