THR One year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's okay, Diane! I'm sure Cathy will still be able to find your comment.

You know, I had an incision from one of my other surgeries (not my THR) that was angry for a long time. It would just zap me once in a while for no reason at all that I could tell. Then, one day when I was about 18 months post-op for that incision, it was like a lightning storm in there. It zinged and zapped like crazy for about ten minutes. Then it just stopped and I never felt anything from it again. Those nerves can take a long time to settle down, so try to be patient. I guess that's easy for me to say. :rolleyespink:
 
Thanks for sharing Alex. I will spare telling you about the plethora of weird symptoms from the nerves but the great news is I haven't had any "lightning" like zaps or symptoms for quite some time now...only dealing with the numbness which is weird in it's own right. And over time that is getting better also. So, lots to be grateful for.
 
Going back to yoga poses for a minute...

The August issue of Yoga Journal landed in my mailbox today. There is an interesting article about hip openers and modifications to Pigeon Pose. It's definitely worth a read if Pigeon isn't quite working for you.

One suggestion they have is to do the Figure 4 stretch with the foot of the bottom leg planted on a wall, so you don't have to use you hands to pull your legs in. I like that because I see a lot of people straining their necks and shoulders in that stretch.
 
Do you mean the Figure 4 lying down like this person?

[Bonesmart.org] One year post-op


and her left foot is resting on the wall instead of as she is, holding her leg?

Thanks,
Cardie
 
Exactly, Cardie! See the strain in that woman's arm and neck? That is exactly what we want to avoid.
 
Thanks for stopping by about my spasms. There is no pain now, just the middle of the night spasms and the memory of the pain in my body if that makes sense. Do you still think at 14 wks I cannot ride my bike for more than 5 minutes? Could I have just been dehydrated?
 
Night spasms can be a form a delayed-onset muscle soreness. It can happen to anyone engaging in a lot of a new activity without giving their muscles a chance to adapt. I don't have any advice other than to give your body a chance to recover and then ease into cycling.

Even at 14 weeks post-op, you are not fully recovered. Most people seem to find that it can take many months to get back to previous levels of athletic ability. THR surgery causes a lot of soft tissue disruption and that takes a while to recover from that. For that reason, I think it makes sense to take new activities slowly.

You are at the point in recovery where we see people returning to the forum complaining if repetitive-stress injuries, like tendinitis, because they thought they were fully recovered from THR and tried to jump back into things. I know you are feeling great now and you want to get back to things you love. You're still vulnerable to these sorts of injuries if you overdo though, so try to find some balance, okay? You will get there. Last weekend I biked 2 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. I sure wasn't doing that at only 14 weeks post-op though.
 
Thanks again. I know you are right, I just wanted you to say something different :th_heehee: , cathy
 
It's okay. If you just take a week or two to ease into it, I think you'll find that you are able to progress really quickly after that.

There is a book by Gale Bernhardt (former US Olympic cycling coach), creatively named "Training Plans for Cyclists". If you can track down a copy of that book, her 30-mile training plan might be a good choice for you, once you've adapted to the bike a little.
 
Hi Alex congratulations on your first anniversary and carrying on doing pilates I've been wanting to do a class but was unsure if I'd be able to do any if any of the exercises il be 15 weeks post op next Wednesday and once I finish pt I think il look into finding a class near me thanks to your post I hope you carry on enjoying your new hip I'm looking forward to my first anniversary
 
Thanks, Angie! I'm actually a little more than two years post-op now. I started this thread a long time ago and didn't expect still to be using it now. Maybe I should have given it a different title to make it less confusing, but I didn't know. :what:

Have you asked your surgeon about doing Pilates? If he says it's okay, then why not give it a go? I have gotten a lot of benefit from it... just getting some range of motion back in that hip. When I first started, I couldn't do a lot of the poses, but I just concentrated on doing the best I could with the things I could do. A lot of the Pilates poses are the same thing you would get from physio. It's just a different, more gentle, approach.
 
I'm leaving in the morning on a bicycle tour in Idaho and Wyoming. I'll have my phone with me, but I'm not expecting to have much time for Bonesmart. See you all when I get back.
:bicycle1:
 
Have a fantastic trip! Did u have to rub it in with the bike smily person, haha, just kidding. Maybe by the time you get back I will be safely riding my bike with no spasms. Cathy
 
Have a wonderful time, Alex!!
Glad to see you remembered your helmet :)
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hope you have a fab trip Alex

Take care

Ann.xxx
 
We've made it to Yellowstone! I'm off for a swim now, but I'll update more about the trip when I get a chance. :)

:bicycle1:
 
Alex THE CAT takes to the water, truly a milestone!!

Have fun :)
 
Whoop dee whoop...great to hear from you Alex.....You go girl... :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom