TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol, It sounds as though you got a thorough evaluation. What are the exercises he has you doing and what kind of heat do you put on the muscles - a heating pad or moist heat? I was wondering because my quads are tight right now (so much for strength training class and I've been using ice. And I'm sure I need to get my rear in gear and need some core strengthening as well. Just don't know where to begin with that.

Do hope you see some results soon. Hugs and Bugs, Dorohy

 
Hello Carol,
Your P.T sounds wonderful :) He gave you an answer to your question, Follow his
Advice & I am sure you will see results.:yay: I was told I had a weak hip, so I had exercises
For that. I will say nothing about your "Weak" butt :heehee: You have been through enough :rotfl:
Better Days ahead :SUNsmile:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
What are the exercises he has you doing and what kind of heat do you put on the muscles -

Hi Dorothy, As far as I know any type of heat will do the trick. The thinking is that I first get my knee muscles to expand by applying heat (I use a hot water bottle). The muscles are then more receptive to the massage (see @pumpkin had my brain engaged:wink:).

To strengthen the gluteal muscles (those in my bum) I have to clench my buttocks 10x twice daily. But I have found that I don't need to be standing to clench, so I'm doing many more than suggested. I was clenching today sitting on a seat in the park. I think I must look like a hen laying an egg. I do hope passers by don't get the wrong impression D'D @new knee in June if you comment on this you are likely to get chucked off BS :snork:.

The other exercise has me sitting on the bed. I then raise my leg about 12 inches. My foot is pointing to the 10 o'clock position. It works all the muscles on the inner leg.

Do hope you see some results soon.

Me too. Once my bottom starts to look perky I'll send you a photo :yikes::yikes:

Hugs and bugs C
 
I was told I had a weak hip

Hi Diana, Due to arthritis? Did the exercises work? I do exercises because I am told to, but I'm never sure if they help. That sounds silly - they must help. What I mean is that its easy not to do them correctly, and you can end up pulling something and ending up in pain. Are you familiar with an exercise called the clam? You lie on your side, legs slightly bent, and you raise and hold the upper leg for 5 secs then repeat. I did it several times and ended up giving myself groin pain.

Scooting over to BW2s thread - see you there. xx Carol
 
Dear Carol,
I don't have to comment on this :) Just picturing in my mind you sitting on a bench
Clenching your buttocks is enough for me.....:rotfl::heehee::loll::rofsign:
I honestly think this is your ticket to have a knee that will take you out dancing, & a
Pain-free life :beg:You truly deserve it.....:yahoo:
Wishing you well :friends:
Diana:flwrysmile: @patient 99
 
Hello Again,
My hip was weak from limping for 3 yrs. with a bad knee. ( no Arthritis ) I am very familiar
With the clam, I did it with rubber bands under the guidance of my P.T
You will find P.T. Are very knowledgable about how your muscles work together.:) I really
Feel this will help you :SUNsmile:
Are you still on that bench ? If you were here you would be frozen to it :yikes:
"Frozen Buns" get it....:rotfl::rotfl::loll::rofsign:
I Crack myself up.... Get it, crack:rotfl::rofsign:I could go on & on.....
Diana:flwrysmile: @patient 99
 
Hi Carol, sorry I missed you. Doing fine here, spirits are good although I've been very tired.I slept for 10 hours last night, went to the dr. yesterday, he couldn't think of a reason for the fatigue. I guess this too shall pass. How are you doing with your exercises? I'm going to chair yoga tomorrow,but I dropped out of the strength training, as it really messed with my quads, it's not a tight band but a tight muscle on the outside of my knee. Took your advice and am using heat on it and massaging it.

All in all though, life is good, maybe I should change my thread title to that. What do you think?
Hugs and Bugs,Dorothy
 
he couldn't think of a reason for the fatigue.

I can. Your TKR is still not there yet. It takes it out of you. On top of that you have been exercising more, and it wasn't that long ago you had a fall, which affects you more than you probably think. You have also had the strength exercises which haven't agreed with you. You have a pacemaker (don't know how that impacts on you, but it must in some way). Add to that that none of us is getting any younger. Is that enough to be going on with <chuckle>.

But the important thing is `life is good'. I think it would make a good thread title. C
 
I've come to understand that our bodies really are a system with one thing affecting the other. I've started doing some of my post op hip exercises b/c I know that weak hip muscles (a chronic problem for me) puts more strain on the knees.
 
Hi Carol, you're right about my reasons for being tired, I really overdid it and rested a lot this week and feeling much better. Did chair yoga and exercise (We don't sit in a chair all the time but use it for balance.) I thought about you in the class because it was all about tightening and isolating muscles while doing exercises, and not using the joints. She talks a lot about how doing these exercises whilst making sure we're breathing all the time, creates energy flow for our whole body. @kneeper - you're right on about how weak hips, quads, etc. affect our knees and that our bodies really a system with one thing affecting another. Hugs and Bigs, Dorothy
 
Knee not responding well to the new exercises and massage. I've been doing the new stuff for 5 days now. The result is increased nerve pain, more tightness and a pulled muscle in my bottom. So I have stopped. My next PT visit is in 9 days time. Don't know what the PT will make of it. The plan was to finish the 6 PT sessions and then make a decision on whether I needed to be referred to the surgeon. Struggling to stay positive.
 
Darn I was hoping this new stuff would miraculously take care of problems. keep strong. Keeping you in our prayers.
 
Hello Carol,
Sorry to hear P.T isn't going well :sorry:Positive thoughts heading your way :console2:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
The result is increased nerve pain, more tightness and a pulled muscle in my bottom.
Sounds like they gave you way too many exercises, with too many repetitions.
In your case less is more: Fewer exercises, few reps, increasing ex and reps over time would be more appropriate.
My gut feeling is you need a referral to an OS who is a revisionist (they are best spotting at probems).
Wishing you all the best, this long recovery is no fun,:console2:.
 
@patient 99 Oh dear, I did wonder about 10 mins of knee massage to be honest.

Does your knee feel as though it's in a vice or clamp, mine does? Mine is nothing to go by though, obviously getting virtually no exercise and to me it looks a little swollen and lumpy.
We need a magic cream:boohoo:I'd settle for one of these right now. :martini:
 
Hi Carol,
I'm so sorry you haven't found the exercises beneficial yet - do you think you are doing too many of them and too frequently? Your knee (and bum) are possibly protesting at this sudden exercise fest!
Keep positive - i'm sure you're on he right track this time.
Hugs
Speedy2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom