TKR One year kneeversary

@keefsmom ~ your story is my story regarding p.t., but i like mine. they are being taught the same things as the surgeons, going on about the scar tissue and if you don't break through it, you will be stuck. (i don't believe it but i don't have the medical degree to debate). you are so much further ahead than i am (8 weeks). i'm enjoying the physio, the massage, laser and tens and i really like the young woman treating me. i keep her up to date on what my surgeon says, so she is trying to increase my r.o.m. by pushing a little further each time. to answer your question about "who has not done p.t." ~ i had no physio until week 6 because i was too nauseous, constipated, then diarrhea, losing weight for the first 3 weeks, stopped all meds, took another 2 weeks to feel better. my first physio appointment, my r.o.m. was 70, the second a week later 76, and today, another week later 79. so you see, you are doing much better. my surgeon is not happy with me and keeps wanting to schedule me for m.u.a. even though i've told him "no". it really is a fine balance deciding what's best and at the same time, not burning bridges with the surgeon. i share your frustration but i think you're in a pretty good place with your r.o.m.
 
@liam2015 kudos to you for making so much progress after an entirely difficult start! Not sure how I would have fared under those circumstances! I'm going to talk to another clinic tomorrow and try to determine if they would be more supportive of the way I want my PT conducted. Will let you know how it goes.

As far as the rom number...I m going to try to focus less on that and more on function as a measure of progress, as @Celle's surgeon wisely advises.
 
Those staples are NO FUN that is certain! Aren't you glad they're in the rear view mirror! Good for you for speaking up to the nurse, I'm sure they get desensitized despite their training.
 
As most all of you know, I did no PT after any of my 11 knee surgeries. I know you don't need it, but many enjoy going. I was and am again divorced and had no one to take me, anyway. So, I just used my knee as I needed to and have done great!
 
My ROm went pretty fast, but I tend to have hyper mobile joints anyway and did a lot of yoga before surgery. So I don't credit PT But I let the PT take the credit, bc like keefsmom said, I have another surgery coming up so I wanted to give the appearance of following Drs orders. Most of my early Pt focused on waking up my dumb quad and no one ever pushed me. I used a machine where I turned a crank and it flexed and extended my leg and had a readout with the numbers. I liked it bc I got some nice stretches, but I was 100% in control of how far to push. And I never really did any exercises between my twice a week Pt. Just my (admittedly overdoing it) ADLs bc my kids don't let me rest. Lol. I was at 90 at 2w and 125 by 6w. But again, I went into surgery pretty flexible. (And ftr, my surgeons PA still grumbled about MUA when I was at 90° at my 12 days post op appt - so there's really no pleasing these guys!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't keep that little cycle doodad from moving away. I gave up on it. Lol.
 
Oh and I loved the KT tape after my injury before surgery. If you can see in my profile pic, I got taped up by teh KT people at the disney race expo and I felt so good for those two days until I ran 5/13.1 miles of that race. After that, the knee was toast again. I was skeptical, but that tape is great.
 
@Pheebs52 - I do understand that you want to keep on good terms with your surgeon. It is important. But, if push ever comes to shove, it is more important to do what's right for your knee. I didn't intend to lecture you, just to point out that sometimes you have to choose to go against advice. You are a partner in looking after your health, not an employee, and you do have the right to choose.
 
@Celle, fair enough. To date, I feel fortunate in my choice of surgeon and his recommendation of this particular PT group, which happens to be one I have used successfully in the past for a different ortho problem. I seem to be benefitting right now and hope this continues. If, at some point it doesn't, I will make the necessary changes. I do know my rights, perhaps better than some, because I spent 20 years working in a healthcare environment though in a non-medical capacity. Bottom line? I'm not trying to please anyone except myself and my knee. My knee is Numero Uno and will continue to be so throughout this long recovery.
 
@keefsmom, I really do hope you can find a PT who will work with you. I know they are rare birds, but they do exist, and I feel the massage alone is worthwhile for loosening, as is the use of their bikes. Because you are at 90 degrees flexion, if you cannot find the right PT, then I see nothing wrong with doing your own based on the Bonesmart philosophy. If this is the case, I'd buy a real exercise bike instead of the piece of useless fluff we both own and will most likely toss tomorrow.
 
Well back from the dreaded standoff with PT. Began with massage of scar, kneecap, hamstrings, all good. Then onto manipulation in service of increased ROM, specifically extension (I'm at 10). She tells me she's going to push down on my knee and hold for a count of ten. I stop her almost before she starts counting because it feels like way too much pressure. That brings on the usual lecture. I wish I could hold my tongue like many of you do but it's just not in me so I start arguing with her and telling her to educate herself on other philosophies. To her credit, she takes it in stride and then asks me if I'm ready to try again! No, hon, I'm not!
Moved onto heel slides and she instructs me to go as far as I can, go a bit further, and then she will exert a bit more push but not as much pressure as with extension. These exercises worked out fine and after 10 reps I was able to achieve 110 flexion which I'm pleased with.
I left with instructions to let legs hang off end of bed from a position of laying on stomach for 5 mins 2x a day to help with extension--I have no problem with that because it makes sense to let gravity do its work.
Rest ice and elevation for rest of day. I have 2 more sessions with this woman before I move onto another PT at yet another location. Maybe third time will be the charm!!!
 
@keefsmom, I was just about to knock on your door for an update! Talk about great timing! For what it's worth, tongue-biting isn't all it's purported to be. The tongue needs exercise, just like any other body part. I'm glad yours was active today. I'm not glad you will have to search yet again, but perhaps if the moon is full, the sun sets in shades of coral, and the Red Sox win, the third time will be a charm? Seriously, how can you miss?:roseshwr:
 
I'm glad you spoke up and stopped the PT from hurting you. However, your flexion, at 110, is already very good indeed and there is no need to let her push on your knee at all.
The extension exercise that she suggested you do is one that we also recommend

We have an article about extension that suggests several ways of helping it. Choose one or two that you like and just do them gently, never to the point of pain. Don't use the weights until at least 3 months post-op.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
 
i think you're doing great for so early in your recovery ~ a little improvement each time. your session sounds similar to mine but i'm almost 9 weeks out and i need the motivation (push). i think i'm lucky in that i like my physiotherapist and i trust her. she works really hard with the massage and the treatments, laser and tens. by the time you're finished with this therapist, you might be good to go and at your ideal r.o.m. :fingersx:
 
@Celle yes I looked at that article on extension and it made sense to me so I'm happy the PT and I agreed on something!
@liam2015 im happy to have gotten that measure but I feel like it was only after a whole lotta stretching so I don't feel like I own it just yet. At least I can look the OS in the eye and tell him, truthfully, that I got to 110!
@Pheebs52 i think the Sox have left Philly, which was very good to them, so we will have to see if they can keep up their streak until I find the right PT!:giggle:
 
haha keefsmom...i'll be doing the same when i see my surgeon on monday. i might even embellish the number my physiotherapist measured, just a couple of degrees and maybe he won't test me himself lol. (wishful thinking).:no-fin:
 
At not even a month post op you're doing fine. I'm happy you spoke up! I sucked in a big breath as I read your post! :thud:
 
@keefsmom, my OS would label you a flexion Superstar! He was delighted with my 75 degrees yesterday. Now, if only I had seen him today when I hit 78, lol.
 
speaking of socks....So glad it's summer on this hemisphere. I could at this stage, 17 days post op, only put one sock on.!
I built myself a put on 'sock aid' but have not tried it yet. Just getting panties and shorts on is a struggle.
 
I formed my panties and pants on the floor the way I needed them to come up. Then, I stepped into them with the bad leg first, then sat down put my other foot in the other side and pulled up as far as I could. Then stood up and pulled them up. Of course, I did them one at a time! Hope this helps.
 
Ahh. Yes that would work too. While sitting down,
I use my gripper thingy ( whatever it's called) and put it inside the panties, basically to keep the leg hole open, and then while holding gripper on op leg side slide panty up to knee level, step in with other leg. VoilĂ . It's lifting the op leg just enough that's the struggle. Soon I hope, that thigh muscle that does the leg lifting will heal.
 
Back
Top Bottom