TKR One year kneeversary

It sounds to me like an hour drive to the PT office itself would be counterproductive. All that time with your leg down is likely to encourage more swelling.
My OS was happy once I got to 90. He just said keep doing what you're doing and increase activity as you're able to. He encouraged me to bend the knee throughout the day but basically said ROM would continue to improve. It was up to me (in consultation with the PT) how much more PT I wanted.
 
so I figured out a compromise on the PT--I am going to the practice associated with my OS out in the hinterlands twice but then switching to another practice closer to home for a few visits and will eventually end up at that practice' location that is a mere 8 blocks from my house. All it took was an entire morning of phone calls!
Still not sure how necessary this rush to outpatient PT is since my in home PT visited today and is pleased with my progress! As she said, it's kind of ridiculous for the OS to pronounce dissatisfaction about my progress without knowing where I started from! TBH, I am getting a little bit of a "fat lady not trying hard enough" vibe out of him but I may be paranoid.
So beginning this Friday I have a steady progression of PT appt every week until mid July. Keeping an open mind!
 
@keefsmom, boy am I glad I'm not his patient with my ugly 30 degree flexion; egads! He should be shaking your 90 degree flexion hand as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you can BEND! You're Gumby! What more does this guy want at this point? So many surgeons are top-notch at their calling but so incredibly deficient with their people skills, eh? Of course, as a nurse friend told me many years ago, "They deal with unconscious people." Yeah, that sums it up nicely.

Here's hoping the outside PT works well for you and if not, onto Plan B!
 
P.S.: I also start Outpatient PT on Friday, lol!
 
I was very fortunate in that both my OSs had great bedside manner. The only funny part and I think it's a guy thing, my revisionist couldn't handle my crying. He either looked at his shoes or made up an excuse to leave the room. The crying usually occurred upon hearing bad news, so he probably felt bad himself.
 
Oh, KarriB, what a great story! How fortunate you were to have two such good surgeons. So many people, whether male or female are uncomfortable around tears, though I suspect most women have an almost automatic, appropriate response. You have just reminded me of an incident I had many years ago when diagnosed with bladder cancer. I was so stunned, I just spontaneously burst into tears. I actually couldn't process a word he said after this pronouncement because my brain had literally shut down. However, what I do recall most vividly is how he put his arm around me and said "Hey, hey, it's going to be ok. This is not a death sentence and I will see you through every step of the way." And he did and still does.
 
My surgeon is good, but I love my female PA. She is amazing! She takes all the time I need to ask any questions and if I call her cell phone I get a callback within 30 minutes, unless she's in surgery and then she calls before the next one. She always asks at every visit and on each phone call if I need any refills on my meds. She said her goal is to keep me as pain free as possible. I love her!! I will definitely go back to this same surgeon and PA for my next knee.
 
My PA, also a woman, is v supportive. How long do we have to wait until we have more women surgeons?!?:gaah:
 
I wonder if they'd have better bedside manor. Mine could sure use it. I didn't even see him at all in the hospital after my tkr, but his male pa, that I'd never met before. I had always seen and talked to his woman's pa. I'm not complaining about my OS's surgical ability, though, he did a good job!
 
I have not spoken with my surgeon since my surgery. Both he and the PA both spoke separately to my husband afterward and were very informative to him. I don't mind not speaking to him because my PA is so awesome. I'm probably getting more time and answers from her and she was in the surgery with him as well. He has two PA's and both are female, both very nice.
 
I've been very lucky to have seen my surgeon several times in the hospital. Of course, one of those times was during my recovery room mess up.....sigh. His PA (male) also scrubbed in on the surgery and that's who I saw yesterday. Both are very warm *fuzzies* and I know just how unusual a find they are. I was actually glad the PA removed my staples yesterday since I felt he probably had a lot more experience in that department than the surgeon!:yikes:

As to more women surgeons, I've had a few over the years and there are quite a few in my area, but given the medical community and college environment in Boston that's not really surprising. Regardless, there are still many more males. What I have noticed is a preponderance of female Veterinarians.:kittymilk:
 
I am also lucky with my OS. He's a great and caring doc. I was really impressed when he introduced himself to my family with just his first and last name - no doctor title. He also has a wonderful sense of humor which fits perfect for me. In all the times I've seen him over the years - I've dealt with him and not his PA.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My original OS who did the TKR came by to visit me in the transition unit/rehab. It was evening of his surgery day and he sat down to talk with me and my parents who were visiting. He probably stayed 20 minutes! Singing the praises of my revision doc and apologizing for the infection issue. He is a talker which means his appointments are always running late.

I am very blessed to love my surgeons and my ID doc because I've had a fear of drs and hospitals my whole life.
 
@IowaNana, he sounds like a great doc! Mine also has a good sense of humor and I appreciate that as well.

@KarriB, I'm impressed that the surgeon who did your TKR visited you after the revision. He gets big points for that in my book.

My cardiologist who is a bit of a drag in several ways, but well-meaning, came to see me, hahahaha! He thought I'd want to see a known, friendly face. I would, but not really his, lol. My immediate thought about seeing him there was "Uh-oh, something is wrong with my ticker!"
 
It was kindly meant, though. I give your cardiologist credit for that.
 
@Celle, oh I do give him credit for that, especially as he is a relatively new fixture in my medical life.
 
Say hello to my little friend!
I bought this ersatz bicycle well over a year ago so I could get some exercise at work...it sat idle most of the time. I hauled it home on my last day in the office thinking it might come in handy during recovery.
Two days ago I unearthed it and was surprised that I could successfully make a full rotation. It is on zero resistance and I sit as far back from it as my stubby legs can get but as of this morning I've worked up to a full 5 mins. It feels remarkably wonderful and although no ones measured my ROM since I began, I am feeling less resistance when stretching and based on my highly scientific method of measurement (how far I can slide my heel down the row of kitchen floor tiles) I'm making some flexion progress!
I wouldn't recommend this particular model, I bought it because it was pretty cheap and as a result the resistance mechanism is pretty useless, but it's a great little warm up before walking or doing my home exercises!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] One year kneeversary
    IMG_0359.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 142

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom