TKR One year kneeversary

So I made some good improvement on my measurements after yesterday's regimen--gained 10 degrees of flexion and am close to zero on extension. I told the PT how happy I was at 80 since my goal is 90 by the end of week two and she laughed at me ( not in a wicked way I think she just couldn't repress it)! Told me she thinks they shouldn't have discharged me from hospital at less than 90! Whatever, she's a sweet and sincere soul and I do like her, just need to keep asserting my wishes and the BS philosophy.
Sun is finally shining here on the east coast today! Heading to the backyard to get some vitamin D :cool::cool::cool:!
 
Enjoy that beautiful. We have it here, too. But, boy is it muggy. I don't like that summertime humidity!
 
Most surgeons are happy if you achieve 90 degrees by 6 weeks, so don't try to rush getting ROM. You're doing very well.

After my last TKR, I was discharged from hospital after 5 days with a knee that hardly bent at all - maybe 5 degrees. I didn't have any formal PT sessions, and just let everyday life be my therapy. As my knee swelling went down, my ROM gradually increased. I now have two TKR knees, one of which had a small amount of PT, the other having had none. Both knees are strong and reliable. I can do anything I want to with them. They extend fully and bend to somewhere between 125 and 130 degrees.
 
Your flexion is just fine. It will just get better and better. Sounds like you and your PT get along, and she's chill with you keeping control. Way to go!
 
Sistersinhim how far south are you? I'm in DC which is pretty hellish with heat and humidity, but My younger son lives in Richmond and its worse there!
 
I'm about 25 miles SE of Richmond. Hot and humid! It's bad enough that I have my 'personal summers', but to add this to that is miserable!
 
I know that I am more than a number...but I fretted about getting 90 flexion and am relieved that I achieved it today!
My PT was very pleased and admitted to me that she was worried that I Was resting too much and not exercising enough to improve my ROM.. I explained that while I was listening to her advice I also had a set of precepts I was following that emphasize rest/ice/elevating over activity and credit my progress to that. She took it pretty well but I may have hurt her professional pride a little bit!
 
She'll still take credit for your increased ROM, I bet! You know what works for you and you see good results from it!
 
The best reason for celebrating that 90 flexion is that now you can relax about it. I kind of had that number in the back of my mind, too. It's funny how something as arbitrary as a number can have such a hold on us.
 
The power of pajamas?
Had best uninterrupted sleep since surgery last night so am retracing my steps. The one thing I did differently is change from my ubiquitous mid calf-length athleisure wear and tee to an actual pair of pajamas. Wondering if that sent a message to my brain that we were gong into a unique time frame called " night" when we sleep for a longer stretch as opposed to the days and nights endlessly running together when we nap on and off? Anyway, you can bet I'm wearing them again tonight!

Post op appt tomorrow hope to get rid of the staples! Makes my stomach churn a little to think about it, shall I bring something to bite on? I've been through worse, I know. Courage!
 
@keefsmom, I believe PJ's have power. Of course, I believe in little green men as well...Leprechauns, specifically. Lastly, I believe in "Whatever Works!" I'm pulling out my PJ's tonight, hahahaha!:rofsign:
 
Just don't look :) I had glue (happy dance)
My mother had staples last July - she was so happy when she thought they were done based on where they were on the knee with their tool - ha... nope, nurse explained she skipped every other staple going down to make sure it was healed before coming back up and removing the rest. At that point she was only half done. It will be over befor you know it.

And yes, I would follow the pj mantra if it worked
:yay:
 
Aaaah....stitches-out party! :beer: I shall say for me the idea has always been worse than the event. But, mine are still in. They *may* come out tomorrow, if not, then Tuesday! Let us know in vivid detail how you fare.:rolleyes:
 
Interesting how some surgeons use staples and others don't. I didn't have staples with either my PKR or TKR.
 
Does it hurt when stitches or staples come out?
I'm supposed to get mine out in 14 days post op but DH's schedule to drive me to this clinic would mean 16 days. Is leaving stitches in a bit longer better or worse?
 
You'll be so glad when those staples are gone. Everyone experiences their removal so differently, just... get it done. (I had glue, but have had staples in other surgeries.). And PJs, yes! Let's hear it for normal bedtime rituals. I sleep much better in my PJs. Maybe the body has a kind of textural memory and nestles in with nighties.
 
You will definitely feel like celebrating when those staples are out! You don't realize how much they pull until they are gone.
 
I agree, I didn't know they pulled until they were gone. And happy to be done!
I had glue for my PKR but they used staples for my revision to TKR. Going over the scar tissue from the first surgery, the OS wanted staples to ensure closure.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
News flash: a surgeon was unkind.

Back from the initial post op where my surgeon observed what I've been regarding as my excellent 90 degree flexion and said, "Oh you're not progressing quickly enough. If I had to grade you I'd give you a C." Thanks a pantload buddy!

He then insisted that I make 5 appointments with the PT associated with his practice so I could jump start my ROM before I begin outpatient PT at a place much closer to home in two weeks. (He also was very dismissive of my in-home PT whom I still have 4 more appointments with and whom I like very much and have a good rapport with.)

So I made 4 appointments but not sure if I'm going to keep them all. For one thing, the drive to his practice is a bear, an hour each way (if there are no accidents) on the most congested highways in the area (DC Beltway). I can practically see DH's blood pressure climb each time we do the drive. DH also actively job hunting and interviewing so it's less than ideal for him to have to spend literally half his week driving me to and fro.

PARTICULARLY because There is a very highly regarded PT practice less than a mile from our house!

Oh, and did I mention that I am quite pleased with my ROM? In fact, if I had to grade it, I'd give myself at least a B plus!

I value this surgeons skill and most likely will be looking for him to replace the right knee in the next 12 to 18 months. Trying to figure out best way to assert my wishes and preferences in this situation, what do y'all think?

Oh, and staples came out easy peasy!
 
My surgeon is a big pusher of No Pain, No Gain. I just nod and smile with him and the PA when they go on about pushing the Pt and working my knee. I like his overal methods and he's highky regarded for his skills. But I just ignore the parts I dont agree with.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom