TKR One year kneeversary

I also got "lucky" in that their inhouse PT shop was out of her work so I "had" to go find a place closer to home. Maybe you can make up a little white lie. :heehee:
 
You are the customer and boss. Your insurance will pay whoever you go to and that's your choice. I'd go to the one closest to home, especially where you have to travel and the gas you'll burn to get his group. PT is pt. You don't have to go to anyone except who you want to go to. You don't even have to go if you don't want to go. Don't let your OS intimidate you into going where you don't want to go. You are the only one you have to please! 90* at less than 2 weeks is outstanding! Phooey on that OS of yours for down-talking that!
 
Don't let your surgeon's Debbie-downer comments worry you. He's an impatient male!
Your ROM is really very good at this early stage.

As Paula said, you can choose which PT facility to go to, and I would avoid the one the surgeon suggested, because they will probably have the same philosophy as he has.

Go to the PT facility nearer your home and see how you get on there. Set your expectations from the start - no excessive exercising, no pain, no pushing on your knee - and remember this from the guidelines:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

It's your knee and you have the absolute right to say what will happen to it.
 
Both of my surgeons gave me a script to go to PT wherever I choose. First surgery I went to my own place because it was closer. This surgery I happened to like the in-house PT at my surgeon's office so I went there. I don't believe they can actually tell you where to go. It's your choice based on your insurance coverage.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
keefsmom ~ did you get the staples out? it didn't hurt me a bit. the nurse put some kind of ointment overtop and then removed them while the surgeon was talking to me. your r.o.m. is excellent. i would go to physio where it's most convenient for you and hubby and most importantly, that you like the therapist and she/he respects your wishes. i only started last week, 6 weeks post op. you might enjoy the different therapies they have to offer, such as massage, tens machine, laser therapy and whatever else. just let them know from the get go what your boundaries are and don't sign the consent until they agree. i know what you mean about not wanting to burn any bridges with your surgeon. i'll be facing mine tomorrow...sigh!:sos:
 
Uhmmm...wouldn't such a highly regarded OS have so many patients that he won't remember who went to which PT after some time?
By the time your next surgery is due he might not even have a contract or arrangement w the PT he works with now.
Go to your choice and IF he asks why explain family reasons. That should be plenty reason.
 
@keefsmom, why am I laughing? You ALWAYS make me laugh! Sick, I know, but you really got me with "Thanks a pantload Buddy." I am so wiped out from my stairs, the ride, the visit and lack of sleep I can barely type. More later after dinner which will hopefully provide energy.
 
90 at two weeks is great! Don't let Dr. Fussy Pants rain on your parade. You have a legitimate reason to not go to the PT group he suggested, husband is busy job hunting. You can call and cancel giving them the excuse and go where you want.
 
You are lucky. All mine hurt but 1. It was no fun at all!
 
@keefsmom, I know exactly what you mean about not wishing to alienate your OS because I feel the same way. I'm going to need his expertise over the next year and most likely within 2 years for another TKR. That said, I don't feel that choosing not to go to his PT team should make any difference to your relationship. Go to the PT place of your choice and if he ever questions it, just say it was much more convenient. It certainly sounds as thought it is!

P.S. Only been to D.C. once and cannot imagine voluntarily doing the Beltway; gasp!
 
My OS never even asked where or if I was going to therapy!
 
@sistersinhim, that seems so unusual to me? I'd say you were lucky! When I had my THR, the OS was outraged that I didn't choose his hospital's PT service. He was a real prima-donna type, but the best of the four I had interviewed with, so I went with him and his hospital's sterling reputation. I didn't go to their PT because it was terribly inconvenient, but he certainly didn't care about that. Once he discovered I went elsewhere, he was very chilly on all future check-ups. Though my hip was ultimately fine, I certainly wasn't going to go back to him for my knee.
 
I'd never have gone back to him either. It sounds like all he cared about was making money for his group and not you or your convenience. I would have run far away from him as quickly as I could have!

In all my 11 surgeries, and numerous different OSs, not one of them asked if I went to pt. They might have asked how pt was going, and I'd tell them just fine. Because it was. I was doing it myself! And my results were fine! Not that awful pain, plus look at the money saved for something that I did better for myself!
 
Right after my TKR I went to the closest PT group, just a mile down the road because it was easy for my family to drop me off. They had me doing squats, resistance bands and wait for it...heat on my knee with a weight on top for extention. I didn't know any better. I did say no to the squats because they hurt.

After the infection drama and a month in the imbolizer my family and I decided to use the PT that was part of my surgeon's group. We knew a doctor and PA would always be on site even though it was 7-8 miles away through a lot of traffic. With my issues it was important to know a doc was nearby. That's when I learned how gentle therapy could be, I never hurt during or after those sessions.

So @keefsmom changing or choosing your own PT is totally up to you and your doc probably won't even realize.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sistersinhim, I really admire your bravery, because I think you were truly brave to go against the typical, recovery scenario as it plays out in this country. I've had good luck in the past with PT for several different maladies, so perhaps have formed a somewhat different viewpoint. The therapists I've been involved with in the past all made reports to my surgeons, so I couldn't have gotten away with pretending I was attending. In this instance, I knew the Home PT was off-course, and I fired her. I won't hesitate to do the same if I should run into someone like her again. I have faith that I will find a therapist I can work with who will respect my wishes and boundaries, all founded on BoneSmart principles and my own past history.

@KarriB, heat and a weight? I am literally cringing; how absolutely awful for you! Of course, without a site like BoneSmart and without that negative experience, how could you know any differently? You couldn't, other than going by your own body signals. Even then, it's difficult not to trust the *experts.* Thank goodness you found the group you found after the infection; phew!
 
The therapists I've been involved with in the past all made reports to my surgeons, so I couldn't have gotten away with pretending I was attending.
But so what? It's your knee and your choice as an adult. You have the right to decide. You even have the right to reject your surgeon's advice.
If you choose not to go to the therapist your surgeon recommends, all that therapist can report is that you didn't attend.
 
@Celle, I fully realize I have the right to decline PT and reject my surgeon's advice if I so choose. The reason I choose to go along with his ideas at present is I believe they are sound and I don't wish to alienate what is a good relationship right now. If this course of action proves to be unwise, I will make the necessary changes.
 
That's fair enough - and it's your choice to do just that. Good!
 
I agree with you. If you have someone you trust and listens to you, it's a wonderful and beneficial relationship. It's great that your OS and therapists work together. I have no idea if any of my OSs knew whether or not I went to pt. They did know that I was rehabbing nicely!

I am single and couldn't drive to pt. after my very first knee surgery. I did ask a friend to take me to one, where I was shown some exercises to do. I explained that I wouldn't be able to come back, so they printed them out for me. I've not gone to another one since then. I have learned that I can do this myself. Those of us who don't have mates to take us 2 or 3 times a week had to handle our rehab differently. So, I'm proof that it can be done successfully.

It hurts my heart so much to hear how so many of you are suffering needless agony from aggressive pt when you don't have to. Everyone of you can do it yourself, if you have to!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom