Revision THR one week post-op, 39 years old

Hi, wow its great you are without pain. I thought I was the youngest person in this forum to have a THR at 49 yoa. How are you feeling now? Stay safe during these hard times. God Bless you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello :wave:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Time sure flies. I hope you’re enjoying great progress. We’d love to hear how you‘ve been over the last three weeks. Please update, if time allows.
A great weekend to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I have my revision today with my surgeon.

I feel OK. I am still very stiff upon waking up or sitting down for a period of time. I'm not in any pain, but I am still limping. The more I walk, the less I limp. Walking uphill tires me out a lot.

I'm hoping with my appointment today I'll get the OK to get back to the gym and work on my abductors/adductors, the elliptical, getting more fit generally as this will help my gait. Also stretching to recover some flexibility.

I still have some firm tissue underneath the scar area and around the hip. I assume this is normal.

I was not told to do any stretching so I haven't, not really, for the duration of my recovery. I'm looking forward to getting back on track after seeing the surgeon today.

I'm still using the elevated toilet seat, though I'm not sure I need to. I haven't been given much guidance with aids but I'm no longer using walking aids, the elevated toilet seat is the only one I'm continuing to use.

I will update with the report from the surgeon. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply!
 
Hi :wave:
Good to see your update.

Oh my stars...I'm certain you mean a revisit or follow up visit. You worried me as I thought you were going back for surgery.:flabber:

I remember it was several months of feeling tight and those stutter steps upon rising....until those muscles fired. Normal and will lessen over time.

Uneven ground, uphill or downhill inclines stressed my quads...ithe same way lots of stairs could do.
Again, normal.
Flat walking much easier on new hips .:walking:

Yes ma'am...normal and will get better and better.

Still early days but you are getting there.
Bet you get a good report from your OS and we'd love to hear how it went.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
While living in Spain, my Engilsh has gotten worse and worse - yes, I meant a follow-up visit, the Spanish word for it is revisión, false cognate, but no worries, not going under the knife again any time soon!

I got a clean bill of health from the surgeon and he said I couldn't be doing any better. Green light to go back to all normal activity, do exercise as long as it's low-impact. I'm looking forward to going back to the gym to work on those muscle groups to get myself stronger, and lose weight, which will help things as well.

I go on vacation tomorrow to the beach for some (more) rest and relaxation, and when I get back I'll get started on a gym routine again. But I've taken off the toilet seat riser, don't need it, and am sitting in normal chairs, and sleeping on my stomach for the first time in months. I need to practice steps, going down is easier than going up. I need to learn how to trust my new hip, it still feels like a foreign thing (it is, after all), and I'm a bit paranoid it's going to dislocate.

I got to see the x-ray which was cool and I kind of couldn't believe it compared to the sorry state of the joint mere months ago.

Thanks everyone for your support! I'm sorry I've been inconsistent with updates. But you all have really been helping! I'm looking forward to the continued progress over the next few months.
 
Wonderful report. Enjoy the vacation with such a great report. Be aware walking on sand may prove challenging so be careful.
 
Hope you are well. It will take some time,for you to function as before. You are on your way to recovered. Try to go on youtube and they show you hood exercises to do after a total hip replacement. I also had my left hip done on Nov 5 2019. I have been loosing the weight I put after surgery and honestly it has helped me 100%. Now I dont have pain on my knees like before. I still do my exercises at home,because I took 8 weeks of therapy and it was very expensive. Im able to walk now without the arm crutch. It took me a while to feel confident about walking without it. I was afraid of falling. May you keep on on you recovery process, God bless you and keep in touch. Im here for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you enjoyed, or you’re still enjoying your vacay. :SUNsmile:
Be safe and stay well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone! Vacation was great! Though I fell once, there was a dip along the shoreline I didn't see and stumbled and fell on my right knee - the knee is scraped but no further damage. My friends were incredibly supportive. I walked so much one day the next day I was very sore, but I took the next day to rest and now everything is good.

One question - while floating in the ocean/pool, I'd find my left side would sink. Was I just off balance or was this a result of the prosthesis? I'd think the fat covering it would compensate and I'd float anyway? I have a ceramic prosthesis, so I think the density is greater than that of water so it would make sense.

Going to start back at the gym today, taking it easy, on the stationery bike and the adductor/abductor and upper body stuff. I know the key now is to keep moving as the longer I'm sedentary the more stiff I am when I get up.

Thanks, everyone!
 
Interesting, but the post only refers to metal and plastic - is it the same for ceramic prostheses?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I’m still having problems going up steps. I can do it, but the muscles aren’t up to full strength and there’s also a weird sensation when I step up - like a clicking I can only feel, not hear, if that makes sense. It’s not painful, just a weird sensation. Can anyone relate? Do I just need to hang in there and wait for the hip to get stronger?
 
Totally normal. The muscles and soft tissues take time to firm up around the new joint. The clicking will fade with time.

And you will continue to build strength. What seems impossible one day will be easy the next. Just keep walking to strengthen that new hip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Olá, clicking sound/feeling is very commom amongst most joint replacements, mine started in the very early days, and I worried constantly about it, with time it does fade (they say :unsure: ) however in my case now almost 1 year post surgery, it is still present, I only really notice it going up stairs, bending my knee or is I sway my knee from side to side.
It is not noisy but I feel it, hopefully with time it will go. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well since we last heard from you. Please stay in touch and update as time allows, we’d love to follow your healing journey a little longer.
A great end of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I turned 40 on Tuesday the 22nd and I’m mostly feeling ok.
I went back to work this week which means more time on my feet and stairs. My hip is not happy - it’s started hurting and my ankle is swollen. Resting seems to help - the pain is not extreme, and I’ve been going to the gym. I guess it’s more time on my feet and the stairs?
I hope this is normal and is just my body adjusting to a new routine.
 
I woke up and heard a bit of my first THR, it was during my recovery that it was determined that I have sleep apnea. I do remember the anesthetist warning my that if I was having some issues with breathing that he would lighten the sedation a bit to get it under control.
I wasn't bothered by it, I was in happy land and remember thinking "awwww, they are working on me!" Lots of loud clanging, and hammering going on.

Glad you have your brand new hip! Give yourself plenty of time to heal and use the almighty and wonderful ice packs. :ice:
 
You’re welcome! A belated Happy Birthday to you. :)

Consider stepping away from the gym for a time. I think the combo of spending more time on your feet and navigating stairs with your return to work AND the gym may be too much all at once. Since you’re back at work, your stuck there, I’m assuming, but you can step away from the gym until you’re feeling stronger, steadier, more energized. Give it some thought...also ice and elevate any areas of swelling or discomfort.

Happy Saturday! :wave:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!! Yes, I’ve decided to go on hiatus from the gym until I get used to being back at work. I’m a teacher so I sit when I can but it’s not my preferred way to teach.

I’ll keep this post updated!!!:wave:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not so sure about your body adjusting to the new routine. At 3 mos with my first THR I was on the same page until I overdid it and really had a setback. It didn't take much, just doing more and more each day until I was in pretty bad pain. Of course I thought I messed up the implant but sitting,resting and icing proved it was just soft tissue that was angry. It set me back almost a month and proved to me that my OS and this forum was right about the 1 year recovery or longer.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom