Revision THR one week post-op, 39 years old

Reading this freaked me out slightly. I have started feeling as though I have passed the moment where this is likely to happen so I now feel anxious again. Also at 3 months. I’ll have to try and remember to move slowly and gently and not throw myself down onto a soft, low settee like I did last night.
Really sorry to hear it happened to you but glad that it was sorted without surgery.
Take care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply! Take care of yourself and be conscious of what you’re doing. Best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone have any idea why I’d have this bruise on my sternum after a hip reduction? The bone beneath really hurts.

[Bonesmart.org] one week post-op, 39 years old
 
They may have had to "man handle" you aggressively to get that hip back to where it should be.

Was the date of your dislocation March 26 and was it the left hip? I'll put the information in your signature for you.
 
They may have had to "man handle" you aggressively to get that hip back to where it should be.

Was the date of your dislocation March 26 and was it the left hip? I'll put the information in your signature for you.
The dislocation happened on the evening of the 25 and the reduction was performed the 26. Left hip.
 
They may have had to "man handle" you aggressively to get that hip back to where it should be.

Was the date of your dislocation March 26 and was it the left hip? I'll put the information in your signature for you.
After my THR, from about day3 to week 4, the area that was most painful was my sternum. I asked the surgeon at my 6 week check, and he said this is common. I think they quite often use an arm or knee on a patient’s chest when they’re dislocating the hip for surgery.
 
I hope you're hanging in there and having some steady progress on this four month anniversary of your revision.
I am sorry to read of the dislocation. Ugh...shudder, it had to be painful. :sad: I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out. Take care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for checking in! The dislocation was not pleasant. Neither was my surgeon’s reaction to it. I think he’s tired of me, honestly.

I spent two weeks not doing much for fear that it would happen again. My GP (who I have to see to get the paperwork for my medical leave) was shocked my surgeon didn’t send me to a PT. So he recommended one to me.

PT has done wonders. Muscular pain in my right hip is gone, confirmed overbearing from protecting the left. Exercises are working, slowly but surely gaining confidence again in my left hip and range of motion is improving. I’m able to walk fine without pain to and from the appointments, about 3 miles. My body wants to move but I don’t want to overdo it. I’ll be off work a bit longer - my physio doesn’t think I’m quite ready to go back until I improve my endurance a bit more.

I don’t ever want to experience a dislocation ever again in my life.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They may have had to "man handle" you aggressively to get that hip back to where it should be.

Was the date of your dislocation March 26 and was it the left hip? I'll put the information in your signature for you.
After my THR, from about day3 to week 4, the area that was most painful was my sternum. I asked the surgeon at my 6 week check, and he said this is common. I think they quite often use an arm or knee on a patient’s chest when they’re dislocating the hip for surgery.
Ugh. This is, quite frankly, disturbing.
 
Oh dear, try not to dwell on the "manhandling" part. Sadly it is a necessary part of surgery of any kind, from what I hear. I try to focus on the fact that we do heal and our bodies are amazing with what they can overcome.
So sorry to read about your dislocation! It sounds horrible.
Please take care of yourself and give yourself grace.
Oh! Your PT sounds so helpful.. so happy it's helping you.
 
Thank you!! The bruises have faded and I almost don’t need painkillers anymore. I’ll probably be on leave for another couple of weeks I’m guessing. I’m taking the time to take care of myself.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom