Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR one week post-op, 39 years old

I live close by Philly, how about you?
Funny memory I have was getting down on the floor for something and then was confused as to how in the heck I was going to get back up!
I was further along in the recovery but definitely not strong enough to just get up. I did a downward dog of sorts and walked myself up and was so proud! Haha. In hindsight, I should’ve thought it through before getting down on that floor. I was anterior approach so thankfully that worked for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I live close by Philly, how about you?
Funny memory I have was getting down on the floor for something and then was confused as to how in the heck I was going to get back up!
I was further along in the recovery but definitely not strong enough to just get up. I did a downward dog of sorts and walked myself up and was so proud! Haha. In hindsight, I should’ve thought it through before getting down on that floor. I was anterior approach so thankfully that worked for me.
I was born and raised in Mayfair in northeast Philly! I’ve been in Madrid for over 8 years now. So many good hospitals in the area; I’m sure you got great treatment.

I’m glad you figured out how to get back up without hurting yourself - we figure out the solution if we listen to our bodies. ☺️
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm laughing, I looked at your info earlier and wondered why you moved back to PA. , after being in Madrid!
I envision Madrid as being very beautiful.

Hopefully your wallet stays put in your pocket. :egypdance:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary since your revision, ravenina.
I hope 2023 is off to a good start for you and your recovery is going well.
Take good care, stay in touch and have a wonderful week!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I feel great and have started going to the gym and doing the treadmill to move more - very slow and easy, nothing strenuous. February 10 is my follow-up appointment with my surgeon.
 
I hope you had a good appointment on February 10th.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Enjoy the rest of the week, :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the message!

The follow-up went great. The surgeon warned me to be vigilant with my right hip as I have the same prothesis in that hip as the one that broke in my left. With the left hip, I’d feel a kind of popping sound once in a while if I was sitting low and getting up from that position or if I extended the leg a certain way. It didn’t hurt and I never thought anything of it but I should have. :-/

I went back to work on February 14 and it’s been okay. With the last two surgeries I had all summer to rest further and get used to life again but not this time, and it’s stressful in a way I didn’t expect. I teach so I’m always standing, walking, using stairs. My left hip aches once in a while and my right has been hurting, too, more frequently, though no weird popping. It started about the same time I went back to work and I feel it’s maybe I’m unconsciously relying on it too much. I’ve been doing more at the gym, too: stationary biking, adductor, abductor, and upper body exercises.

I have a four-day weekend now so I’m going to rest. If I go to the gym I’ll take it easy. But any weird thing has me so paranoid that something is wrong.

Yesterday after work I skipped the gym and rested. Thursdays I give pub trivia games and it was fine, no pains. Slept well and no hip pains this morning, but general aches from being on my feet all day, which I’m still getting used to.

I may go to the ER this weekend to get an X-ray for my peace of mind. I just don’t know what’s normal. I’ve been taking one paracetamol each morning which helps throughout the day. Today, no paracetamol, because there is no pain.
 
My thought is that since you're only two months post op and you've already returned to work, the gym is just too much right now. You seemed to notice the aching after your return to work, so I wonder if you'd consider your ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) suffice as your exercise and therapy for another month, at least. Being on your feet all day is a lot to ask of that newly revised healing hip at this point of recovery. Give it some thought.
Best Wishes, ravenina!
@ravenina
 
Thanks!! It’s something to consider. It feels longer than two months - to be clear it’s the other hip that’s bothering me, not the revised one, which feels fantastic. I need to keep in mind the small amount of time that has passed.
 
I just re-read this entire thread and realized that I have been through A LOT.

My right hip (replaced in May of last year) continues to bother me. Went to the ER for X-rays on Friday, everything looks fine. They’re moving up my follow-up with my surgeon anyway. Told me to avoid carrying heavy things and to take Tylenol. The left, revised hip is fine.

I don’t know why the right would start bothering me now. I only just got it operated on in May. It’s possible, I guess, that I’m still unconsciously relying on it too much. I wish I knew!
 
I'm sure having two hip surgeries and back to work already might have something to do with aches and pains.
I admire you for getting back at it so soon.
Take care of yourself!!!
 
I'm sure having two hip surgeries and back to work already might have something to do with aches and pains.
I admire you for getting back at it so soon.
Take care of yourself!!!
Thank you!! Trying to find that balance between staying active and letting my body rest.

I have a trip to London planned in a month; I hope I’m okay!!

My next follow up with my surgeon has been moved up to March 28, so hopefully I’ll get some good news and peace of mind before my trip.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, ravenina!
Good luck with your appointment on the 28th and safe travels to London. I hope you have loads of fun. :) :-) (:
@ravenina
 
My hip dislocated last night. Luckily they were able to pop it back in without cutting me open.

No London. I’m on another medical leave. I still have my appointment on Wednesday with my surgeon, luckily, as the ER attended me.

It was my own dumb fault; I sat on a surface that was too low. Was there for about an hour and turned and then got hit by the worst pain of my life.
 
:sad:Oh my stars... I'm so sorry to hear you this.

I've heard it is excruciating!
I hope you are resting and icing and have your pain well managed.:console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pain is manageable. I’m resting. Trying to listen to my body.

Are blood thinners really necessary after a dislocation?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, so sorry to hear this!
I've heard how painful dislocation is and hoping to never have it happen, I'm almost too cautious at times.
Hope you start feeling better soon.
I can't help on blood thinner question, but I guess each doctor has their own recommendations.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom