THR One week on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific cake. I know it doesn't help right now, but you will sleep again. It just takes time. Remember, this is all temporary and in your good time you'll get better and better. I'm nearly 6 months down the line and am contemplating gardening for the first time in years. Just need hubbie to dig some holes. Hang in there.:kittykiss:
 
Hi daykat! Congratulations on your new hip. I just wanted to send some good wishes from NZ. There's another Aussie here too, Allycat. I love the cake, very artistic! It's just gorgeous, what a beautiful colour. How are things going today? I hope you are still getting 4 hour stretches of sleep, it's good to feel slightly human again, isn't it?
 
Hi daykat. Welcome to the recovery side. Fabulous cake, looks yummy.
I'm almost 9 weeks post op and still only get about 4hrly stretches at a time. I seem to wake up when it's time to turn. I can't turn in my sleep.
Hope you're going along ok.
Ally
 
Thanks for all the positive comments and encouragement. Like most of us things are going in fits and starts, some days I am doing great guns, other times feeling weak and feeble and discouraged. I'm beginning to realise this is all normal, and learning to go with the flow, rest when I need to, exercise as I can, and allow my partner to fuss and hover! I'm usually a fiercely independent person and this is a learning curve. I am a little surprised at my emotional vulnerability but realise that's probably very normal too. I read a post about the possible causes of sleep deprivation , which included all the emotional reactions to what is a fairly extraordinary process. Very helpful, thank you whoever posted it.

It's a beautiful sunny autumn day today and I'm sitting on my back porch soaking in the peace and watching our resident kangaroos basking in the sun. It's very soothing.
Cheers to you all
Daykat
 
Hi daykat,
I think you've nailed it with the comment"go with the flow". Seems that's the best way to handle all the ups and downs...physical and emotional.
If I feel frustrated that my progress is slow I try to sit back and mentally tick off all the little incremental improvements post op and set myself some small achievable goals to work to in the short term.
That way I can kid myself I have some control,over the recovery process.
I also do the same for my gym and hydro sessions.
Enjoy the sun and the kangaroos. A lovely sunny day here too but not too many kangaroos in downtown Five Dock. Lol!
 
Just catching up with the Aussie and Kiwi community here: so pleased you are dropping by :)

Yes, recovery from a THR is a 'go with the flow' kinda experience. I still find that at 17 months. Of course for me it would help enormously if I could retire: but still some time away!

Daykat, the emotional roller coaster is very normal, so normal, in fact the medical world have different terms for it!

Post-surgical blues can be from: the after effects of anesthesia (anesthesia seems to bring out our sensitive sides and our anxiety); medications; post-surgical traumatic stress syndrome; constipation from the medications; and a general sense of disarray.

Plus being instructed to rest and restricted to low impact activities, doesn't make things any better. Throw on top of that that you are all bruised up and sore. It is no wonder we tend to feel the "Surgical Let Down Period", the adrenaline period from pre surgery is now over.

Also, keep in mind that almost any form of surgery can adversely affect one's notion of health and invincibility. In some ways it's like being afraid to drive again after a motor vehicle crash. For us, we have to learn to walk and live again whilst we recover. The "blues" seem to come in waves, like the tide.. But they do settle down..

Enjoy the sunshine and the kangaroos.. It has been a lovely Saturday "down under" :)
 
Welcome, daykat. Wow, what a beautiful, creative cake that is! Thank you for sharing the picture.
I hope your sleep issues abate soon. I too have lower back pain sometimes and often it is at night while trying to sleep on my back. Haven't found a solution yet, but if I do, I'll pass it on. I'm only starting week three post-op; the first week was rough. The second saw some improvements. I wish you the very best in your recovery. Stay tuned here--lots of compassionate, informed voices to help you alone.
 
Hi Daycat: Just eight weeks from my TRHR and I do identify with what you're going through. Advice from Poppet and others has helped me a lot. The first three or four weeks for me were the hardest -- fighting the feeling of being an "invalid" along with pain, low (no!) energy, blue mood and poor sleep were rough; I had to learn to slow it down and let nature take its course and let go of my expectations of a "speedy recovery." Taking the pain medication as prescribed is so important (took me a while to get this), and just not pushing it. I learned to keep an interesting novel by bedside so I could just read a while when I couldn't sleep instead of fighting it; and still do, although my sleep is much better now that I can sleep on my sides. Pain at this point is negligible for me; walking is still shaky but I really just bring the cane along for balance (and I get doors opened too). Going back to work part-time at four weeks was good for me because it gave me something else to think about, plus more of a sense of being "normal." We all do it our own way -- but the biggest help for me throughout the changes and questions that come up each week is the support, good info and validation you can get here on the Forum. BTW, that cake is a work of genius -- so funny!
 
Hi daykat! Just checking your thread to see if you're coping with those post-op blues. They are a very real part of this recovery. As everyone says - just go with it. This too shall pass!
 
Hello daykat Glad you got yourself regulated on the pain medication and got a little sleep. You'll find yourself sleeping better bit by bit. It's a real challenge at first, but once the pain is better controlled and you get your positioning right, you'll sleep easier.
The cake is just too unbelievable. How creative and fun! It's a great color and looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Keep us posted on your progress. Everyone here is just great, so helpful and welcoming.
 
daykat what a cake! That is really inventive. Let's hope she never gets asked to do one, for, say, a kidney transplant LOL.
I'm hoping you're still sleeping better, and have gotten your pain meds rolling along well. You will love it here! :)
 
Another Aussie - fantastic, welcome, has Poppet been out touting for business.:snork:

Hi dayckat glad to hear your sleeping arrangements are on the up and they cakes do look tasty.
Billy
 
Hi there Billy forbesy... Yes, I am gathering the 'down under' members under my wing :)

daykat, how are you doing, hope you are feeling a little better, would love an update. :)
 
Hi everyone, thank you all for all your support and encouragement. Have been quiet for a bit as I come to grips with what is happening. 3 weeks post op now and I am feeling a bit stronger, sleeping is still an issue, pain not so severe. Heading in the right direction. I do get impatient though, but keep reminding myself how far I have come. I can shower now without using shower chair, which is a whole lot more pleasurable - hot showers are one of life's major miracles! I actually managed to cook half a meal today, lamb shanks in red wine (yum) , with my partner 's help with running around gathering ingredients and lifting heavy casserole dish into the oven. A major achievement! I am experiencing a fair bit of swelling in the operated leg and foot, and the last two days pins and needles in the foot and lower leg. From what I've read this is common - I'm dealing with it by rest and elevation. I have up days and down, still often feel weak and feeble and teary, but I'm trying to be patient with myself, and remember the mantra -"this too will pass". In the meantime I'm keeping occupied knitting for my gorgeous grandson. I find reading and concentrating on anything at all complicated is difficult, but I assume this too will pass. Love to everyone
Daykat
 
Hi daykat, I've been knitting too. In the social room there is a sewing thread (lol) where you can put up pics of completed work for us to Ooo and Ahhh over.
Well done on all your achievements - you're going great guns!!
 
Sounds like you are doing great, Daykat. Keep resting heaps, there's lots of healing going on right now. Another milestone achieved, no shower chair! I love my showers too, the first one after surgery (about day five or six) was bliss! I couldn't really concentrate on anything for very long in the early weeks, but it does come back. :)
 
daykat, It sounds like you are doing really well. I agree the shower is so good. I still have the TED's so I have to have help taking them off to get a shower then reluctantly getting them put on again.
Patience is the hardest isn't it? we feel good and want to be doing more but end up in pain cos we overdo it.
Our surgery was the same day. The time has gone really quickly for me.
 
daykat Your report sounds like you're on the right track for your recovery. And as octopus said, the resting is very important to help the healing process. Listen to your body and rest as much as you need to.

Patience is the hardest isn't it? we feel good and want to be doing more but end up in pain cos we overdo it.
That's very true. Take care of that leg and keep it iced and elevated, just like you're doing. It will really help the swelling go down. The more you rest it and keep it up, the bettter. And as one of the moderators said "it's not a race, it's a marathon." Slow and steady.

Allycat posted some pictures of her knitting handiwork. It is so sweet, you have to look it up. You both are lucky to have that skill to keep you occupied. Your grandson will look adorable in your creations! :)
 
I completely understand the blues ... and wonder if now that you can really shower, if that will help? Isn't there some truth to water as therapy? I hope so. The blues hit me really hard and so far haven't found a solution. But the "this too will pass" sounds like a good first step. Maybe writing down in an actual list all of the milestones will help, too. And look at that list each morning or evening or whenever the blues hit. It's easy to forget all the milestones we've reached. Best of luck to you, to all of you.
 
Peaches You're so right about the blues. I get them on and off because this recovery seems to be dragging on for so long. No one prepared me for this, or for any setbacks that might occur. I even had them on Mother's Day, unfortunately! But I had a good cry in the AM (alot of it was from not getting much sleep) then took a nap, and was able to enjoy a nice day with the family. So I have to keep reminding myself that things will get better, no matter how long it takes - "this too will pass".
And yes, a nice shower is a wonderful thing daykat. I find that it helps relieve the soreness, too, as well as being refreshing and relaxing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom