THR One down, one to go

I would definitely see if they would let you work from home as much as possible and then go in for those things that you absolutely must be there for. These days so much can be done online and via teleconference.

Now 7 weeks post surgery and 5 weeks pre! CT scan tomorrow.

Mood keeps swinging depending on whether my focus gets stuck on where I am now and the hill to climb or whether I can shift it to thinking about a view from the top!

I never envisaged myself needing to deal with two major surgeries in three months. But here we are. I’ve just booked overnight accommodation for a concert in May though. Excited to picture being able to walk to the venue and back without planning each step carefully! So today’s mood is optimistic!

:hi:
Mood keeps swinging depending on whether my focus gets stuck on where I am now and the hill to climb or whether I can shift it to thinking about a view from the top!
I can relate.:yes:
I'm sure many members can...not looking forward to surgery and recovery, but as it is the vehicle by which we can get our lives back, we take the ride!
I certainly am glad I did.

I’ve just booked overnight accommodation for a concert in May though. Excited to picture being able to walk to the venue and back without planning each step carefully! So today’s mood is optimistic!

Atta girl! Planning ahead while moving toward your bright future! :SUNsmile:
Wishing you a great week. :)

Hello @Redd
How are you doing these days? With almost three months recovery behind you with your right hip, I noticed surgery for your left is coming up on Monday. Nothing like having one recovery roll into the other. I wish you comfort as you await Monday. We're here to cheer you on all the way.
Sending a hug and warm wishes for a peaceful weekend! :)

:hi: Hi...Happy Tuesday! @Redd

It's a special day...Happy Three Month Anniversary to Righty. :happydance:

I hope you and Lefty are resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
Shoot us an update once you're feeling up to posting. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Sending best wishes. :)

Hi everyone,

Sorry I have not been around; I have been intending to update though!

The last couple of months have been pretty tough, some has been about some ongoing difficult challenges in my life, some has been exhaustion and low level depression, dealing with the left hip. Had reached the point where I really couldn’t do anything to help my right hip on its recovery and my left was causing more and more pain. Dark times.

Anyway! I’m now back!

Left hip replacement a week ago today. Surgery went well on what was a “horrible” hip. My acetabulum, rather than being cup shaped, is pretty flat. So as well as the diseased bone on bone, I had lots of displacement. Also, some big chunks of sheared-off bone causing additional pain.

So I’ve been told to keep using two crutches whilst walking for 3-4 weeks.

Blood pressure went low again, but nothing like last time. No crashing No transfusion.

I’m keeping up with my exercises and walked approximately 2.5km this morning, with crutches. Resting and icing now!

Also spoke to my GP (doctor) this morning and have been prescribed a short course of sleeping pills to supplement my painkillers (which do nothing to help me sleep at night). I’m really hopeful of some sleep.

I know I’m just starting my recovery. And the rest of my life is still a bit grim and challenging. But I really do feel like I’m on my way out of pain and disability.

A thought struck me yesterday when I was on a (shorter) walk. Does this mean I no longer have arthritis?!

So I’m now back to this lovely forum and starting to feel like I’m on a journey back to myself.

Last edited:
Also... I can’t tell you how amazing and lovely it was to log back into here and find so many supportive messages waiting for me.

Made me very emotional. Thank you.

I’m now a double hippie. Even bought myself a t-shirt, declaring the fact, to wear when up and about in hospital.
D4A5207A-C76F-4B94-9E0C-697CB6CB9550.jpeg

So glad to see your update, my double hippy friend.
:chuckmarch:Happy chicken dance for you.

Sounds like that hip was absolutely wrecked:nah:so it's no small wonder the first recovery has been so tough.
Nothing to do now bit settle into a slow steady recovery routine. :ice:
Your hips are good to go now, just have to heal up from all that surgery trauma and you will be on your way.
Glad to see you back !

Oh and...
Here's a refresher course for your recovery.:ok:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:chuckmarch:Happy Chicken dance, indeed! You did it and now you are a double hippie and I love your question about not having arthritis any longer! Very true assumption!

I also love your t shirt. Did you get this custom made?

Enjoy your recovery,.. seriously, I viewed mine as something to enjoy and appreciate. Yes, I am weird like that. But it helped my mind set.. most days!

Happy to see you back and congrats on getting rid of that second troublesome hip! Now on to recovery! Hoping you can get some good sleep now to help with the healing. Awesome shirt! :chuckmarch:

@Mojo333, it was indeed wrecked! We had gone for the right one first because we thought that was marginally worse. However, after the operation, the Consultant wasn’t so sure! The loose bone chunks weren’t visible on the X-ray but, fortunately, were clear on the CT scan, so he expected them. One was apparently the biggest he had seen... Still, all gone now.

Lots of healing to do now and, when I’m eventually ready, some champagne waiting!

But I’ll stay on here now with progress reports!

Last edited:
Hi @CricketHip and @Elf1 pleased you like the shirt! :) It went down very well at the hospital! I didn’t have it custom made, but did spend a while searching on line for something appropriate and which made me, and hopefully others, smile!

Hi @Redd :hi:
Its so nice to hear from you. I’m sorry you’ve recently struggled through a few less than desirable months. Hopefully losing the pain of a deteriorating hip through surgery is helping to lighten the load.

A thought struck me yesterday when I was on a (shorter) walk. Does this mean I no longer have arthritis?!

Your arthritic natural hip was replaced with a prosthetic hip so the arthritis in the hip is gone.

Love the t-shirt! May your days continue to brighten and hopefully you will soon be enjoying a glass of champagne. Please stay in touch. We’ll be here.:)

Thank you @Layla , it’s lovely to be back actually.

I don't have arthritis in my hips. That’s surreal to write.

I’m in lots of pain and on lots of painkillers. The sleeping pill last was, I think, effective but I was pretty disoriented when I woke in the night to use the bathroom and in pain, so might have been lying too long in one position.

However, for the first time in five years, I know that there’s a point - maybe even soon - that I should be able to stop ALL of the drugs. That this pain will leave, not insidiously make my body its permanent home. Another surreal thought!

Plan this morning is have my cuppa, allow the medication to do it’s job, then shower, do my exercises, then think about a walk.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back