Revision THR One Down -- One to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's rather unusual, Mary Jane. I think you should get it checked out.
 
Is it a clicking or a feeling like something is popping into place? I had a popping sensation at around that time and it lasted for several months.

You may want to get things checked if you are worried though.
 
Hi Mary Jane,

Wondering how you went, did you get in touch with your Doctor?

Hugs, Sandy
 
I'm wondering about you too, Mary Jane....how are things going and did you check with your doctor?
 
Hi MaryJane,

I read your post over in Phillygirl's thread and just wanted to share a couple of the threads that are in the library about IT band related issues.

IT band info

IT band issues and pain

There are stretches listed in both threads that you may find very helpful in settling your IT band down some. I find the foam roller stretch particularly helpful and do it just about every day.

Sorry you are having so much back pain and I hope that you'll get some answers and relief from your network of doctors. Your surgery was around the same time mine was and it sure has been a year full of dealing with many different aches and pains as well.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi MaryJane

So sorry, you are having back pain.... it is not pleasant that is for sure, I feel for you. Do hope you get some answers soon :)
 
Hey, thanks you all for the referrals to excercises, and good wishes all around. I haven't been posting much and just looked at some posts in my thread so should update you all. Obviously, I'm still having back pain and leg pain. Both of my thighs hurt in the muscle along the side, or the IT band. I had an MRI of my lumbar spine and it said a lot of scary sounding things, like bulging disks, herniated disks, degeneration, atrophy of the gluteal muscles, etc. I won't bore you with all of it. I have an appointment with a spine DR June 21, and an appt with my OS on June 14th. The spine MD will help me decide on a course of treatment, be it, excercise, injections, acupuncture, chiro, surgery, etc. I have not seen my OS since January, and I am sure I complained a little about my IT band and the pain in my right hip at the time and he seemed to brush it off. My left hip clicks all the time, and this started AFTER I saw him the last time, so I haven't told him about it yet. It started a couple of months ago. The funny thing is, almost all of my joints below the waist, are clicking and popping! I have read that this is not actually the joints making noise, but the muscles and tendons, as they slide over the joints. It doesn't hurt, so I am not real worried about it. It's the pain that I get upset about. Last fall when I saw a chiropractor, he advised me to get a massage because my muscles were in spasm and so tight that he was afraid to work on me. I have been getting massages regularly and the tightness has not improved at all. My masseuse says that my IT band tightens up within minutes of getting it relaxed. To paraphrase someone on this forum, I think my whole body is just really mad at what was done to it. So, we'll see what the doctors say. In the meantime, thanks for the input, and I will look at those excercises and start doing them. And BTW, I am retiring from my job on JUNE 1st!
Mary Jane
 
Well a big congrats on retiring soon Mary Jane! Maybe a bit of relaxation will help all the other issues you have. Sure hope you get some relief on the back. I know how horrid back issues are!
 
Hi MaryJane

Boy, you have really been a patient little bunny.... Time for answers me thinks! - good luck with your apts.

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming retirement date.. wow not long now.. How fantastic for you. :)
 
I am no longer patient! It's been a year now. I saw my OS last Thursday and learned absolutely nothing! He bareley speaks, and never answers my questions. He sends in his Physician Assistant to talk to me about all my issues. I told her everything, including the pain in my outside thigh(IT band) pain in the groin on right side when walking and pain on left side IT band as well as the noise on the left side. He came in, said hello, and showed me my xrays, stating that everything looks good, and is where it's supposed to be. He did the moving around of both legs to check range of motion, telling her some numbers, which he did not explain to me. He told me the pain in my thighs was the IT band, which I already knew. He said nothing about how to fix it, just asked my if I wanted to go back to PT for awhile. I said no, not until after I see the spine DR next week and that was it!

I see the spine DR in 2 days and hope to get some answers from him about all this. If not, what should I do? Who should I see? I am not able to do much walking without getting pain in the right groin area and the IT band. It's been a year now and I think I am somewhat better, but surely not completely healed. I am beginning to wish I had never had this surgery.
 
Hi MaryJane,

Well, you sound a bit like me. I've been grouchy lately because I am at the 1 year point too. I still have issues. I had been telling myself for many, many weeks now "it takes a year" "give yourself a year" and now I'm at that seemingly magical point -- a year. Soooo, now we (you and me, both) may need to let go of the 1 year mark and give ourselves more time....

I think that what your OS was saying, perhaps without being very communicative about it, is that whatever issues you are still having are "soft tissue" related issues and that the aspects he's responsible for are all set -- done, in good shape. In actuality I always try to think of this as a really good thing -- I don't want my OS to have to take me apart again *ever* and soft tissue problems can be dealt with somewhere else by someone else.

When I encountered this phase of my recovery -- the "soft tissue phase" I began to rely on my chiropractor and a broken link removed: https://www.rolf.org/about to help me with my aches, pains & mobility. Physical therapy might also be a place for this kind of help, I didn't choose it because my PT had been very narrowly focused.

A few messages before this one I linked to the IT band stuff in the library, that's a good place to start reading & trying stretches. On the groin soreness I mentioned one of the stretches that I do for that problems in Mary Jo's thread.

I understand and share in your frustration as we hit the 1 year mark -- but, our work is not done :friends:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie, I needed that! I just get so frustrated when I see my OS. He is so hard to communicate with! You explained it very well, about the soft tissue, and that is what I suspected, since he did not seem to be at all concerned about anything, but he also seemed so unconcerned about my pain issues that it infuriated me and at the same time, he intimidates me. Ah well, I am going to let go of that and just keep on trying to get out of this mess I'm in. I looked at the excercises for the IT band and will try them, they are not at all like the ones my PT had me doing, so maybe they will help. I will study the other link you send and keep trying. I don't know what rolfing is but will follow your link to find out. Thanks!
 
It's really unfortunate, Mary Jane, when you get an OS who may be an excellent surgeon but who turns out to be a lousy doctor. I don't quite understand why a person would want to go into surgery if he/she doesn't want to connect with the patient on a reasonably personal level. And somehow these cold impersonal people do seem intimidating although we know they're just people. They are not imbued with deity, but we're afraid to speak up. So annoying, isn't it?

Please take it easy and be kind to yourself, it's still very early in recovery. Take your pain meds on a schedule, get lots of rest, ice, and keep exercises gentle and easy. Keep us posted, we care.
 
Mary Jane, how disappointing for you.. I do hope that with the excellent guidance from Cardie you maybe able to work out what is best for you. I always think we know our own bodies better than any Dr..
 
I don't know what rolfing is but will follow your link to find out. Thanks!

Hi MaryJane,

Rolfing is a form of soft tissue body work that deals primarily with fascia & muscle release. I hesitate to refer to is as "massage" because it is not really the same in it's approach, but is similar in that it's hands-on work at lengthening and stretching soft tissue. When I have an appointment my rolfer works on my legs, buttocks, back & neck with a deep pressure sort of pressing and "smoothing." At times she will have me do little movements to help deal with structural/postural issues.

Some people get a lot of massage/soft tissue work with their physical therapy programs -- I did not, but that might be an option for you as well.

Take care,
Cardie
 
MaryJane

I read your post in the Class of 2011 Hippies and have copied it into this thread and will tag Jo to comment... Josephine

I am so sorry you have this new concern and issue, please keep us updated when you hear from your OS :)

Just came back because of possible revisions of both my hips which I had replaced on June 15, 2011. Now found out that the Stryker implats that were used on both hips have been recalled and have tested very high levels of cobalt and chromium in my blood. Waiting for a call from my OS right now. Anybody else having this problem?
 
The latest wrinkle in my story is that I was notified by my OS in Sept. that my Stryker hips have been recalled. I had blood tests 11/6/12 for the first time and cobalt was 5.9 and chromium was 2.0. Had an MRI which showed a moderate sized fluid collection on the left hip possibly a seroma. Dr. Said to repeat tests in 6 mo and made no comment about results. I have been doing research and that indicated that cobalt levels over 5 are considered to be toxic so I called to have him order another round of blood monitors. This time levels are 8.6 and 4.0! Called his office yesterday to make an appt to discuss what next and was told he didn't have any openings but he or his PA would call me and both were aware of the test results. Nobody called......
I'm very upset. He told me at my last appt that the problem is with the stem, which would have to be replaced and that it's VERY difficult to get out. Research tells me that my cobalt levels are higher than what is safe and revisions should be done. I'm scared. Has anyone had this type of revision or this particular implant?
 
MaryJane some hip surgeons are a bit like plumbers - they will install a new sink or toilet but don't expect them to help you out when it comes to issues with the drains! You need a different specialist for that.
When I encountered this phase of my recovery -- the "soft tissue phase" I began to rely on my chiropractor and a broken link removed: https://www.rolf.org/about to help me with my aches, pains & mobility.
This would be my recommendation. Can't beat a decent chiro!
I was notified by my OS in Sept. that my Stryker hips have been recalled. OS told me at my last appt that the problem is with the stem, which would have to be replaced and that it's VERY difficult to get out.
Rubbish! They CAN be difficult but not inevitably. Besides which, that's his problem, not yours. You will be unconscious at the time, remember?
Research tells me that my cobalt levels are higher than what is safe and revisions should be done. I'm scared. Has anyone had this type of revision or this particular implant?
.This is true, I'm afraid. Early last year, the UK National Joint Registry issued a statement that no Metal on Metal hips should be used any more because of all these problems. And it could just be the explanation for your other pains.

My best advice to you is to make sure you get a good revision surgeon who has some decent communication skills to do your revision. The last thing you want going into this is someone who doesn't tell you what's going on.

btw, we have some material about the MoM issue. World wide, lots and lots of patients are being revised under the same circumstances as you
Metal on Metal warning (old but ongoing news) (thread in hip pre-op forum)
Metal-on-metal issues and DePuy recall: regulation of joint prostheses in Australia
Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacements: Solving The Uncertainties Dec 2011
 
Poppy, thanks for posting this where it should have been and Josephine for your helpful reply. I called the OS office today to ask again for a reply from him or his assistant, or an appointment. His PA called me and said my cobalt and chromium levels were a "little" higher this time, but if I was "really stressed out about it" we could schedule revisions, but she understood I wanted to see the Dr about it first, (almost as if they didn't really think it was necessary to talk with him) and I said yes. I am appalled at their responses. They seem to be downplaying my concern, but yet are ready to do revisions. I am going to meet with them one more time, but I don't think I will be using this surgeon.
How do I find a surgeon who is experienced with revisions of this type? What are the questions I should be asking? I blame myself somewhat for what has happened because I didn't ask enough questions or do enough research. I want to have the best possible outcomes for both of my hips.
Should I start a new thread?
 
Oh MaryJane you poor thing...I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. It seems to me to be a total waste of your time seeing your OS again, it appears that he couldn't care less about your cobalt and chronium levels and having read through this page, you have been very persistant, keeping him and his office updated on all your issues which they have pretty much ignored really. I will tag Jo Josephine; for some advice on finding a revision surgeon in your area. Personally, I wouldn't trust your current one, it seems likely he will just fob you off again and you will be back to square one

Take care, I'm hoping you can get this sorted very soon

Ann
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom