Revision THR One Down -- One to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Annie.

MaryJane,you don't have to start a new thread. This IS your thread!

As for finding a revision surgeon, you may have to travel to get to a decent one and you will certainly have to do some research. You can start with this instructional Using "Find a Clinic" to find revision surgeons
 
Hi Mary Jane,

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing a revision because of the metal on metal issue. Please don't blame yourself for this problem, I'm sure you asked the regular patient-type of questions when you interviewed your surgeon before surgery. As patients, we don't know all the details about what is going on within the industry.

As you work on identifying your next steps regarding the revision would it be possible to take your lab results to your primary doctor to see what other types of testing might be needed to make sure the metals haven't created problems elsewhere in your body? The last link that Jo shared in her message #58 of your thread lists some of the complications that high metal levels can cause.

Is there a protocol that is used to help one's body detoxify from this type of metal Josephine while awaiting surgery?

Take care and keep us posted, we know you are scared and will do our best to help support you through this time!!
Cardie
 
I blame myself somewhat for what has happened because I didn't ask enough questions or do enough research
I missed this comment. Cardie is quite right, MaryJane. when you had your hips done, there wasn't that much known about all this. It really came to a head late in 2011 when the medical fraternity got together in the UK and had a serious discussion about it (Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacements: Solving The Uncertainties Dec 2011) and out of that came the rather astonishing declaration from the UK NJR in March 2012 that we should cease using MoM hips forthwith. Until then, there were no blanket warnings about MoM and it was generally assumed that they were okay to use with problems occurring in only a very few people. So there is no way you could have known about it, no matter how much research you'd done or questions you'd asked. Indeed, there are still surgeons out there using them, unaware of the recent findings and warnings. Their staff will be even more ignorant of what it all means and how they should deal with enquiries. You know how these things take time to percolate down the ranks. Thus I am emphatically saying that in NO WAY was it your fault in any way whatsoever, so please don't lay that burden on yourself.
 
Is there a protocol that is used to help one's body detoxify from this type of metal @Josephine while awaiting surgery?
Sadly not. So long as the implants are in there, nothing a person can do. And not afterwards either but nature will take care of it in time.
 
Mary Jane, where are you in the US? My OS does most of the revisions in town - I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana.
 
MaryJane, how are you going with your search for a revision surgeon?
 
I am in the MPLS/ST.Paul area. I saw my original OS today. We talked about the revisions that I have in my future. He described what they will have to do, which is remove the stem, and most likely will have to do an osteotomy, which means they will have to cut the femor down the length of it to open it up to get the stem out, then wire it back together. I did ask him how many times he had done this and he didn't really answer me. He did say he had put in about 16 of these Stryker devices and 3 of us were having issues with them so far. He said that it is a difficult surgery and seemed to understand my concerns. My metal levels are above those recommended by some physicians, but there is no standard, so we agreed to have my blood levels tested in 3 months and if they have risen significantly again, we will seriously consider revisions. I know that I will have to do it eventually, but am not going to rush into it. I still want to get a second opinion and have only a few leads. I would also really like to sell our house and buy a home with only 1 level and I hope I have time for that.

I have done some research on the internet and found a list of good hospitals for orthopedic surgery and there is one in Minnesota, besides the Mayo Clinic, that has very high ratings. It also happens to be close to me, just outside the metropolitan area. The clinic that is most associated with it has many surgeons so that would probably be a good place to start. Mayo Clinic has 3 surgeons that are top rated in the country, so that is an option for me as well. This is where I am at for now. I am not in a lot of pain, just concerned about the damage that the metal is silently doing to my body.
 
MaryJane, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all this. It sounds like you are doing your best to be proactive and move toward fixing this bad deal so you can get on with your life. Please keep letting us all know how you are progressing....we all learn from each other.

Sharon
 
[Bonesmart.org] One Down -- One to Go
and wishing you all the best in resolving your problem. Please take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] One Down -- One to Go
 
Hi Mary Jane, Just wondering if you had your revisions yet?
 
Thanks for asking Ruby Red, but no, I haven't started yet. I found a surgeon with significant experience with revisions of the Stryker Rejuvenate and although I have not got a date yet, it will be in approximately 6 weeks. Last week he aspirated some fluid from the fluid collection that I have on my left trochanter and he will be testing it for infection. One of the tests is a culture that will take about 6 weeks to grow, so we will wait on results from that. He is going to do an osteotomy because without it the femur fractures in about 75% of cases and he wants to have control over where the fracture is. He is going to replace all of the components. My previous surgeon was only going to replace the stem but his DR thinks the liner will fail soon as well so he's going to replace it. If all goes well the right hip revision will be done about 4-5 months later. How are you doing?
 
I had my revision on April 23. I had a Stryker ABG II which was implanted in January 2011. I hope you have hired yourself a good lawyer who is experienced at handling these types of cases.

I had only the stem replaced. The cup apparently wasn't loose. I had tissue damage from my implant and had to have 30% of the surrounding tissue removed, but the femur was not fractured during the surgery, thankfully. I am up to 70% weight bearing with two crutches and tomorrow will see my in-home PT for the last time and will graduate to something ... not sure what it is yet though! I can't walk without a crutch, so maybe I will be able to drop one crutch for now until the leg gets stronger.

Sorry you have to go through this again. Once, the first replacement, is bad enough, let alone having to do it four times. I hope your surgeries go well and you have good outcomes with both hips!
 
I was just reading some of your other posts. Is your name Mary Jane? You're not going to believe it, but mine is too! I do have an attorney. He gave me the names of 2 surgeons who put in lots of Strykers and are taking out lots of them. It is, as you say, a very complex procedure and I want the best outcome I can get. I had both of my hips replaced at the same time, June 15th, 2011. I never really had a time when I "forgot" about the implants, although I thought I was doing pretty well. I complained about pain to my OS every time I went, and he would always say it was bursitis or my IT band and ask if I wanted to go back to PT. I received the letter about the recalls while I was on a trip to Europe in September. Then I knew why my leg hurt all the time if I tried doing any walking! My blood levels are elevated but the most concerning thing is the moderate sized fluid collection on the left side. These are the things that cause tissue damage, so I can't wait to get it out.
 
Yes! We have the same name! haha! How on earth do you get through having two done at the same time? I can't even imagine what that's like.

I wasn't informed about the recall until January or February of this year. I don't understand why I wasn't told sooner because I'm sure there was more tissue damage in the meantime. I was having pain in the hip as well with the original implant and really couldn't do much of anything by the time I had the revision.

I'm glad you have found a lawyer to handle your case. This is all pretty unbelievable what we have been put through.
 
Time is fast approaching for my first of 2 hip revisions (July 29) and I am getting scared and nervous. I will see my OS the week before my surgery and he is very good at explaining everything ( unlike my last surgeon) but I wonder about a lot of things. Since I am having an osteotomy, how long will it be before I can get around? I have heard no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Is that true? Will I need a walker at first, then crutches? My OS said 3 days in the hospital after surgery then home. I don't want to go to rehab, which I did do last time when I had both hips done. My house has 5 levels, and about 10 steps to my bedroom. It's a 1.75 hour ride from the hospital to my home. Will this be doable? Last time I was transported by ambulance to the rehab facility. Lots of questions. . . .
Anyone with answers?
 
emjayp, I really feel you should start a thread of your own. You and your questions and concerns will receive the attention that they deserve from a larger number of members. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

I will add you to the surgery list for July. Looking forward to your first post in your own thread.
 
This is my thread. It starts with June 2011. I stopped contributing for awhile and when I came back I could not remember my username or password and had lost the paper I had written it on, so I started a new one, and Josephine, or someone, combined them.
 
emjayp I was reading your posts and saw that you are also from Minnesota. I just had hip replacement earlier this year and I am doing pretty good. Those ads about the Stryker implants have been on TV. So sorry you or anyone would have to go through a revision for that reason. Take care and continue posting to let us know how you are doing.
 
Thanks SandyBeach, I am not looking forward to it. I just read most of your thread about your 2nd THR. I am glad you're feeling better. I live in a northern suburb of St. Paul, and I see that you are "up north" a ways. We are going "up north" this coming weekend to visit some friends at their lake home. I have only 3 more weekends to enjoy the summer and then who knows. My surgery is being done in Eau Claire, WI which is 1.5 hours from our home. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom