Revision THR One Down -- One to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary Jane. Amazing progress from the start of your thread it is inspirational to read how in difficult surroundings - stairs, you have cracked it!!Once you have got hose pills sorted you will be on the way. Good on you.
 
Sorry, I misspoke, they are 5 mg pills and the directions are to take 1 to 3 every 4 hours. Today I took 2 when I got up at 7 because I was having pain in the groin, and about an hour later I took 2 extra strength tylenol. I am feeling OK so far, have PT in 2 hours so will take 1 oxy and 2 tylenol before that. See what happens. Mary Jane
 
Much, much better....Whew!!
 
Ah, there it is now, so it must only show on new posts.
I have a couple of questions. I read somewhere that swimming in a lake for the first time may be painful, is that true? Second question: how long does it usually take before one is back to normal?
 
MaryJane.....there shouldn't be an issue swimming in a lake versus swimming anywhere. With swimming, though, you do need to discuss when you are cleared to do it with your surgeon. Sometimes they will limit you from doing the breaststroke because of the kicking motion. AFTER you are fully healed, you'll just have to carefully try things and see what works for you.
 
I agree with Jamie. My OS would not let me swim until the incision was fully healed and my restrictions were lifted. Then no breaststroke. Although every OS is different on this.

How long before you are normal - kind of like how long is a piece of string. Everyone is different. Some take months or a year some only weeks. We can't predict this at all I am afraid.
 
Mary Jane, wouldn't you prefer your photo as your avatar? Please?
 
I agree with the others Mary Jane. Talk to your doctor first. I am not allowed any more breaststrokes, boo hoo, that's all I can swim and backstroke. But you know what is really nice? Something to float, you hold onto (like a noodle, big ring, flutter board) and gently move your legs, very good for your muscles. Good luck.
 
I went in the lake last Sunday, just standing in the water. It was delightful, I floated a little, but no kicking. It was so hot and steamy and the lake was like bath water, I couldn't resist!
 
Mary Jane....I like your photo in your avatar. Would you mind deleting it out of your signature, though? It is no longer needed there and does take up extra space on any of the threads where you post.

So glad to hear you enjoyed yourself at the lake. A float sounds very, very nice!!
 
I tried to delete my photo from my signature, but it won't allow while the signature is in use. I don't understand that.
 
I've changed your signature - post again and see if it still shows.
 
Just want to update you all on my progress at 17 weeks post-op. I still have pain issues, but I think I am progressing well. I just needed to realize that it takes longer than I initially expected. I have low back pain that is not getting any better so I am seeing a chiropractor, who told me that I have scholiosis, and some of the same kinds of degeneration in my spine as I had in my hips, including bone spurs. He's working on relieving my pain, since I can't get my spine replaced! My right hip and leg are not as strong as my left and there is more pain there. I did some walking over the weekend and now have pain in my leg that the chiropractor says is my IT band. I haven't read the posts on this site about that yet, but will do so very soon. He did say to use a rolling pin which I saw noted in one of the other posts. I am back at work full time now, and have been for 8 weeks. Thanks to all for all the encouraging comments and for the wonderful advice. Mary Jane
 
I am still having a lot of pain in my back, middle and lower, and the chiro is not helping much. Pain in my right leg is on the side, above the knee and makes my leg very weak. I still think it is the IT band, but not sure. My left leg is fine. I am getting disgusted, and wonder what I should do next. Should I go back to my OS? I don't have a follow up appt until Dec.
 
Your OS or your family doctor Mary Jane. From your previous posts you said your back problems were diagnosed. Have you talked to your GP about this?

My back problems were very aggravated by my THR. It took quite awhile to get this under control. You may want to discuss this with your GP.

Good luck! I know it just no fun!
 
Just a little update on my recovery. It's a little over 7 months and for the most part I think I am doing well. I still have some problems with my back and sometimes have that pain in my right IT band. I get really stiff when sitting down but mostly I think it's my back. I have great range of motion with my hips, my PT was amazed at how flexible I am. I am not nearly as flexible as I was before, (I could put both of my legs around my neck) but I'm working on it. I went to PT until the end of the year and I think now I am on my own.
I have one issue that I wonder about, and that is a clicking or popping noise in my left hip joint, when I lower my leg lying on my back (leg lifts, the down part) Wierdly, I had the same noise in my right leg BEFORE the THR. I am assuming this is normal, but don't know for sure. This is the leg that has the greatest range of motion. Otherwise I am doing really great. Hope you all are too.
Mary Jane
 
Hi Mary Jane

My sincere apologies for not coming in sooner there are so many hippies, bilateral you are definately a star, I had the same problem with my back stiff when I sat down and it eventtimeually loosened off after 10 months and is slightly better now.
These things always take time a lot of hipies seem to have problems with clicking sure one of the top brass will be along soon to help out,

Billy
 
You sound like you are doing great Mary Jane. And wow on your flexibility. Were you a member of Cirque du Soleil in a previous life? As for the clicking, if there is no pain associated with it then it might not be anything serious. But we'll say what the experts have to say.
 
I need advice from the experts about the noise in my left hip, it is a clicking noise with various movements and it just started a few weeks ago. I read the posts on Noises and they referred to noise shortly after surgery, this started 7 months after surgery. Should I call my doctor or is it nothing to worry about?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom