Guest viewing is limited

THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Liveringer.

The 99 degree fever is the only problem I have. No special aches or pains. No loss of appetite and no feeling of exhaustion etc. Took it easy today and plan to so so over the week end too. If the fever goes, I'll start exercising (gently) on Monday.
 
Normal body temperature may change during any given day. It is usually highest in the evening. Other factors that may affect body temperature are, Physical activity, strong emotion, eating, heavy clothing, medications, high room temperature, and high humidity can all increase your body temperature. It has been reported that most bacteria and viruses that may cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6 °F. If your temp rises over 99 °F and is consistently rising, I would suggest you check with your Doctor. :)
 
mondo_caine well there I go again, dropping you like a hot potato, when I did want to keep up! I would have said about the temp-- i have been told by more than one doctor that it's not officially a fever till it's 101F. My hip discharge sheet says call dr if temp of 101 or higher. My allergy injection instructions say hold shots if temp of 101 or higher. FWIW.,,
I understand about your mother, but I am sorry it happened when and as it did, for your sake. I hope you've got everything sorted out now, or at least in a holding pattern that will hold till you can get to it. Take it easy!!
 
Hi Mondo Caine. Remember too that you've just gone through the whole funeral process. I am thinking you encountered a lot of people during that time. Perhaps you've just picked up a viral bug. In which case, rest and fluids are your strategy. We can't blame everything on the new hip....although it's tempting. Keep us posted....it's always good to hear from you.

Sharon
 
Poppet, Zauberflote and Sharonslp,
Thanks to all of you. Sharon, that's exactly what I feel - 2 months down the road and things are going well so I don't want to blame the new hip for things like a bit of fever. And maybe its just a bug I picked up. Or just a reaction to the physical and emotional strain of the last 2 weeks. Anyway, yesterday was a bit better as the fever only came on at night - I was fine all day. And the feeling of being run down after after the strain of everything seems to be fading away. I plan to take it totally easy this weekend and then take a call on seeing the doctor on Monday. Hopefully the fever will fade away by then.
I wonder what I would do if it wasn't for this forum and the guys like you who make it what it is. I'll be back on Monday to tell you how things are.

On another note, how does one balance the emotional reaction with logic in a time of mental stress? I knew the running around in the hospital was not good. I shouldn't have helped carry my mother's coffin and should cut back on some of the religious ceremonies (my son could have taken over for me) but it was my mom! I was careful of the hip but I knew I was doing things I shouldn't have. I did see the doctor as soon as I got home and he confirmed that except for some sore muscles I had not done myself any harm. In similar circumstances would I take the same risks again? I think I would.
 
I have been hoping to see an update from you mondo_caine, as I wrote temps raise at night and with emotional events and you sure have been through a very significant life event.

I am pleased you are getting it checked out :) and yes, given the circumstances, I would have done the same.. after all we only get one Mother :)

Take care :)
 
Is this correct and will a few days rest make it go away?
Well, it's a little difficult to be quite that specific, I'm afraid. Best I can advise is to leave it a few days, rest it and see if the fever does go away. I think 48hrs should give you an idea. However, you are only 7 weeks out so I think it entirely likely that the opinions you've read will apply to you. You did a lot for a 7 weeker! And either way, I am sure your doctor won't be dismissive if you turn to him for reassurance.
 
I posted without noticing there was another page!
On another note, how does one balance the emotional reaction with logic in a time of mental stress?
You've done a lot for your mother and in addition you've lost your mother. In your shoes I would have done exactly the same. However, I suspect you are now faced with the bereavement which has a well establish mental and emotional progress which are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance (resolution). The road through this is not a straight line and one can go forwards, backwards and sideways in it until the resolution is achieved.

You can read about that here The Five Stages of Grief.
 
Thanks Josephine,
As usual you are right. A weekend taking it easy has sorted things out - its been 2 days now without a fever. And yes, I guess the loss of a loved one is often more a a shock to the system than one realizes or wants to admit.

Thanks again, Mother Hen! :thankyou:
 
mondo_caine I bet you knew it all along-- really you're fine, and now you can process the loss of your mother, for whom you did exactly the right amount, and you know it :)
My dad died at age 71, in 1997. I stayed with my mom for over two weeks, and we kept up a good feeling for that time, busy with estate matters etc. When I finally came home, I was able to feel all my own feelings, and spent one afternoon lying down, totally exhausted. My kids were 10 and 7, and they sensed that they should entertain themselves for a couple of hours (a rare event LOL). The music from the computer game they were playing haunted me for a long time. But it was all a help. You may admit the shock to your system-- people will come out of the woodwork to support you, here and at home :)
 
Zauberflote,
Maybe I did know it, but I didn't know that I knew it - if you know what I mean. Anyway, its been 2 weeks since my mother passed away and although I thought I had come to terms with it immediately - it had been expected for some time - I guess I hadn't. Its only now that's its all sinking in. Like when I tend to reach for the phone to make my daily 6 PM phone call to her before I remember that she's no longer there.
Anyway, my recovery seems to be back on track and while its tempting to cut back on the use of the cane, this time I'm going to play it safe and be a bit over cautious just to be safe.
 
I have now reached a stage of domestic chaos. The doc told me that I can now start walking a bit around the house without the cane, as long as I use it as soon a I feel any strain. The result? I leave the cane wherever I find I need to use both my hand for something and then wander around asking my wife if she has seen my cane. I wonder why she has that irritated look on her face? Can't be because of me! :angel:
 
Actually, I think I am okay without the cane all the time at home. But I know I tend to go too fast so I'm following the doctors instructions to the letter - leave the cane behind once in a while and build up time without it slowly so that after a month you are able to do without it about 90% of the time.

As for hanging the cane around my neck, luckily my wife doesn't see these posts!
 
Sounds like you are doing just fine Mondo... I sense your patience, so important with our recoveries :)
 
Poppet,
Its odd but when one stops trying to rush through the stages of recovery, it seems to go much smoother. I guess its a thing that impatient & stubborn people like me learn only with time. The last few days have been remarkable - I often forget about my cane for long periods of time. Now that I've learned my lesson, as soon as I do remember, I start using it again!
 
Well done Mondo.. You will reap the benefits long term from learning patience and slow and steady :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom