THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are doing so well. Someplaces such as Amazon sell trays that hook on the walker so you can carry a plate or cup. They also sell covers that have pockets and baskets that attach to the walker. I used the walker that has a bench built in it so you carry things on the bench or sit on the bench if you need to. Good luck, you will do fine. It's funny how we figure out how to do stuff when we need to :-)
 
Mondo caine, thanks for the list of exercises. Looks simple enough and I'll give them a try. I can tell as soon as I wake up if I have a backache. Usually it sorts itself out once I'm up and moving a bit, but if I can get it to sort out faster, so much the better.

In the early days, for transporting kitchen items, I placed a few chairs in strategic places along the route from the kitchen to the couch, so I could just move an item from one chair to the next. But you may be surprised at what you will be able to manage in another week that you can't manage now.

And you mentioned carrying the coffee to your desk. Are you picturing that you will be sitting up at a desk for very much time that soon? You do realize that you will need tons of rest for the next several weeks, yes? Otherwise you'll be posting here about how fatigued you are all the time and is that normal, and what can you do? And we will tell you that it's completely normal and expected, and not to fight it. It's your body's way of making sure you get the rest you need. Nap, nap, and then nap some more.

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon, I hope the exercises work for you.
As for spending time at my desk, I know I tend to be over optimistic and to overdo things. I went wandering around the hospital yesterday to break in the walker my wife bought for me. My doc gave me hell for it. Also I get bored very easily. What I have done is to clear my desk of everything till the middle of May (I'm retired and write and edit for fun/money/and to keep out of mischief.) What I plan to do from Monday - I go home on Sunday- Is to spend short periods at my desk just to make sure that there is not too much of a backlog when I really return to my writing.

And yes, I will probably overdo it and spend a couple of days collapsed in bed, but that's the only way I ever learn. Anyway, thanks for the warning and I'll do my best to behave myself. My wife who is watching me type just burst out laughing!!!

I'm going to try out you chair technique - it sounds practical and easy.

Best,
Mondo
 
A month before my surgery time slowed down - another month with pain seemed like forever. A week before the operation it moved too fast - how was I going to get all the stuff I needed to do done before I went into the hospital? The day after the surgery time sped up even more - the anticipation of returning to normal life and the excitement of learning to use the walker and walking with out the pain I lived with for years gave me a buzz. Now its Saturday and I go home tomorrow after the dressing is changed. The clock seems to have stopped! I have to force myself not to show my impatience.

I know things will be tough at home at first, but just being there will give me the feeling that I am on the road to recovery.
 
Absolutely, going home is a big milestone in one's recovery journey.. Just remember though, slow and steady :)
 
Mondo, the exercises are definitely useful! I wake up with that backache that sends a piercing stab through me, and after less than two minutes of running through those exercises, I can get out of bed with ease. Amazing! Thank you.

Do you have an extra cushion for your desk chair? Or is it already well-padded? That will make it much easier to be up and sitting for longer periods. We will expect you to overdo it....just about everyone does....in spite of our very sensible warnings. :)

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon,

Glad the exercises helped. Will pass on your thanks to the Physio, next time I meet her.

I have a padded chair with a big extra cushion - for comfort and to raise the sitting height. I haven't spent any length of time in the chair as yet, but I hope it works. I'm feeling far better than I thought I would and that makes me sacred. There is major discomfort around my hip and thigh, walking (even with the walker) is tough and sleeping with the pillow between my legs is going to take some getting used to. But the is no major pain - I have pain meds for emergencies, but its been 24 hours since I took one - no need. And overall, till now, my experience has been much better than others I have read. There is no reason for me to be so blessed. I'm waiting for the big let down.
 
mondo_caine It is good no pain meds but please be warned that once you start moving around or even your PT you may need those pain meds. I'm not sure if I need mine or not as I have not had pain since my operation 11 days ago. But I don't want a set back once I start my outpatient PT which is going to happen this week. Believe me when I say the only thing I had used to cope with pain was Aleve maybe 3-4 times a week before the operation. THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME THOUGH
 
Glad things are going well with your recovery. Hopefully you will be home soon
 
Liveringer, You couldn't be more right. Yesterday I started moving around the home and also kicked up the PT a notch. And of course the pain set in. I've been reading so many posts here about the importance of taking pain meds, so I will take them. My problem is that my doc told me to take the pills when I need to. But what does that mean? Everyone has a different pain threshold. I guess I'll take the meds when the pain becomes "uncomfortable" whatever that means. I suppose I'll know if I have reached the point when it happens.
 
Welcome to recovery, Mondo! It sounds like you're doing very well, but I think we're going to have to work on "patience" a bit :heehee: . Please, please allow yourself time to rest and recover. This is such major surgery and overdoing things will only make you experience unneeded pain and swelling.

Ideally, you should take your pain meds on a set schedule whether you are "uncomfortable" or not. That allows a steady stream of medication to be in your system for those times that you do get up and around. If you opt not to do that, at a minimum take them BEFORE you feel discomfort. Pay attention to your body and you'll know when pain is starting to set in. You may become restless. Or maybe a little "testy" in your attitude. Or you might feel slight muscle spasms or tightness. Any of these (or maybe different things) can occur to warn you that pain is building.

If you wait until you actually feel pain or discomfort, you'll have to use your meds to overcome it before you can relax back into a maintenance dose. I hope you can see this is not a good way to deal with pain, as you'll be constantly chasing it, using more of your medication to get relief than if you just took a steady stream of maintenance dose, and you'll be constantly going up and down. Consistent, even pain management is the goal.
 
Hi@mondo_caine,
@Jamie's advice may well have been meant for me too.
I hate the groggy feeling the pain relief gives. I 'm on 5 mg Oxycontin morning and night...slow release. Panadol for any breakthrough pain.
Did ask the dr at the Rehab facility if it would be better to delete the oxycontin and take endone on an as needs basis. It is exactly the same drug, same strength but not slow release. He said we can talk about it tomorrow when I start my Day Patient rehab...1 hour gym, 1 hour hydro. I figure I could take an endone before and that should be all I need bar the panadol. I dont have any sedentary pain, just the odd ache that icing fixes. What do you think Jamie?
I found it easy be patient in hospital where being but finding it harder at home. I am very tired, can't sleep on my back and bored witless as well as hating how infirm I am. Very frustrating and not a good day for me. Going out has it's challenges... Car travel, appropriate seating etc, what to wear with TED stockings :thud: can't wait for the Ok from the OS re the implant. Of course I have a long way to go with 3cm lengthening. Muscles don't like it.
Good luck with finding the appropriate balance. Fran
 
Fran, you certainly could give the change in medication a try. But.....you must realize that you JUST HAD your surgery a few short weeks ago. You are going to have pain and need to keep it managed. The point of taking the meds is so that you can relax enough to sleep and rest. It's purpose is not to mask the pain so you can resume a normal load of activity. Because of this, you need to try and change your mindset so that you go with the "groggies" when they come and take that as an opportunity to nap. Your body does its best healing when you are snoozing.

Also....I don't suggest that you go out of the house too frequently. While that might help your mind a little, it's a huge strain on your body at this early stage of recovery. No wonder you're tired!!! And if you allow yourself to get overly tired, getting good rest is going to be even more difficult.

This is YOU time. You need to put yourself and your successful recovery first. Chores and other activity will be there later. If you get bored, come here and chat. That's what we're here for!!! This is all only temporary. Each week will bring increased strength and less pain IF you take good care of yourself. You'll get there....honest!
 
Jamie,

Thanks for the advice. I know what you says makes senses and I'll try to use the pain meds the way they are meant to be used. The only things is the whole post op blues scenario has left me in a state where I am mentally and emotionally fine and physically on the way to full recovery, but coordinating the mind, body and spirit is a huge task. Still, with the help of this forum, I am confident of getting there.
 
Touche@mondo_caine, Jamie's advice...and all the other wonderful advice on this forum puts everything into perspective. So hard for me to do.
Thank you@Jamie! I agree about the going out . Lots of friends offer to "get me out of the house" and I just feel too feeble to do it really. Have a play...part of an annual subscription ..on May 4 but I think it's too big an ask.long walk to the end of a converted wharf with all the original floor boards, sitting in a theatre seat etc.
I will try the change of meds though. Might get some hours in the. Day when I'm not zonked!
 
mondo_caine and Maeve Jamie is giving some sound advice, he also brings up good points as to why we should be taking our meds. I will also pay close attention to when I get to weeks 4-5, as so many on here, have posted a tendiouscy to overdo it and feel like they have had a setback. I want to learn from them, that is what so great about this forum. So lets be good patients meds, rest, ice, rest, elevate, rest, nap and nap some more, then start all over again :tada:
 
I had a shower! Anyone who has had their first post op shower knows how good that feels, so I'm not going to say any more. :happydance:
 
I was warned about the blues during recovery, but I wasn’t prepared for the way I got hit. Ever since I was diagnosed with OA 4 years ago I have tried to keep a positive outlook. I never for a day stopped doing all the exercises the first physio gave me. That really helped strengthen my calves, thighs, but and hips and was one of the reason I sailed through the surgery and was out of the hospital so soon. Ever since I’ve gotten home, progress has been good with mobility increasing every day and very little pain. Then a couple of days ago I found that I had reached a plateau. I knew it was coming but a couple of days with no significant progress has got me down.

I was warned about the blues during recovery, but I wasn't prepared for the way I got hit. Ever since I was diagnosed with OA 4 years ago I have tried to keep a positive outlook. I never for a day stopped doing all the exercises the first physio gave me. That really helped strengthen my calves, thighs, but and hips and was one of the reason I sailed through the surgery and was out of the hospital so soon. Ever since I've gotten home, progress has been good with mobility increasing every day and very little pain. Then a couple of days ago I found that I had reached a plateau. I knew it was coming but a couple of days with no significant progress has got me down.

I know I’m being stupid and expecting too much, but no matter how much I keep telling myself that I’ll pick up pace again soon and the pause is only natural, I still feel blue. Its funny how the head and the heart, each aware of the other, operate on different levels, and do not allow themselves to be influenced by each other.
 
mondo_caine Don't be so hard on yourself what are you about 16 days post op. You are doing wonderful, you may not see little improvement here and there but believe me ones around you do. Keep up with the exercises. Have you or are you going to outpatient physical therapy? They do stretches on you (they are felt) but later on in the day, next day you go wow. For example, I now can do the golfer's stance which I can reach for things approximate a couple inches from the floor. So be patient, you had major surgery and you will get there, I promise. Continue to keep us posted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom