Guest viewing is limited

THR On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mondo_caine,
It is hard when you are so motivated and make great strides (pardon the pun) and then plateau! But Plateau is the 'operative' word! ( pardon pun number two). That means your body is just taking a breather and before you know it you will reach a new level.
I agree with Liveringer, stretches are really helping me. They let the muscles you have worked so hard to strengthen relax and loosen up.
Hang in there!
 
mondo_caine, It is hard to see light at the end of the tunnel when the blues hit. You have to be gentle with yourself. Play some relaxing music, read a book. Rest up as much as you can. It will pass soon. I am finding differences in my recovery between this hip and the first hip surgery.
Happy healing Barbara
 
Liveringer, you're right. Its been 16 days post op. The thing is that I was making such good progress, when it slowed down I feel bad. I know I am being stupid because its a natural part of the healing process. I'm trying to work my way back to my normal optimistic self.

The physio is going well and I expect to move over to a cane by next week. That's something I am really looking forward to because it means I can start going out a bit (being careful not to over do it) and best of all, actually make a cup of coffee for myself and have a hand free to carry it to of office room! Bliss.
 
Maeve & Barbara, Thanks, guys! It so reassuring to have people around who understand what its like. Friends try to say and do the right thing to cheer me up, but not having been there, they don't know what its really like.
And yes, I'm doing my stretches. I got an earful from the physio a couple of days ago for overdoing things last week so now I'm being careful and sticking to only what I am told to do both in terms of types of stretches and the quantity.
 
Ah Mondo Caine....you have had a stellar recovery so far...including this supposed plateau. You are still making progress, but it's happening inside where you can't see it yet. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other (literally) and you will get exactly where you want to go. You just have to rest a lot along the way. It helps to let go of any self-imposed timetables and just let yourself be free to be.

Sharon
 
Sharon, Thanks. I am trying to let go f my self imposed targets and just chilling out - at least for a few days!! I know I have been over doing it and expecting too much so I guess a reality check was in order. Fingers crossed for next week.
 
Hi All, Sorry for not having been around for a few days - I had lots of pending mails etc. to get through. Anyway, yesterday was 3 weeks post op and I am now cane free (unless I start feeling the strain, which I haven't). I am careful not to strain myself but I walk around the house quite okay with no support and for the last 2 days I have been going down to walk around the parking lot of our apartment block. My energy levels is still low compared to my pre-op state, but things are improving. All medication stopped a week ago when the staples were removed and all I take now is a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement.

I feel like going to a movie or the the pub but I think I better take it easy for another week or two before I start getting adventurous! :egypdance:
 
OMG mondo_caine!
Your progress is stunning. Seems like only 5 minutes ago you were about to move onto a cane and now you're strolling around with no sids. Guess the 'strolling' is a bit of an exaggeration! Good on you.
Don't forget all your slower hippy friends will you as you zoom into the world of the able bodied! :heehee:
I
 
Maeve, I'm waiting for the kick in the posterior that the doctor and physio warn me will come if progress is too fast. I'm trying to be as careful as I can and not get over confident. The physio says it due to the exercises I did before the op. When I was first diagnosed with osteoarthritis 4 years ago, I was told that hip replacement was inevitable but I could delay by exercising my legs and hips regularly. Ever since then I have been doing one hour of exercise 6 days a week and about 30 minutes of brisk walking - the pain subsided after a few minutes. I guess I really built up my muscles and stamina that way ( I also lost a lot of weight!) and unintended though it was it is standing me in good stead now.

By the way, I woke up this morning with a bit more pain than normal - guess I better slow down. I'll put off the pub visit by a week. :groan:

And I'll never forget my hippy friends - All of you have been such a source of encouragement and support from the day I started my pre-op thread.
 
mondo_caine I am soooo sorry that it took me this long to come to your recovery thread! You have been doing splendidly these 3 weeks! I'm bowled over by your exercise regime! makes mine look like Daffy Duck! I have been avoiding the treadmill for months-- after watching some members on here decline rapidly from doing lots of exercise, I decided that i'd have to suck it up and wait till after I had a new hip...so I'm NOT losing weight!
I really am glad to see that you are progressing just right :) chris
 
Chris, I did what I did out of sheer ignorance and was lucky it paid off. When I was told I had OA at the (young!!) age of 56, I was so shaken that I blindly followed the exercise regimen that the physio in the hospital I went to gave me. I was also told to walk for 45 minutes a day, as long as the pain wore off int he first 10 minutes. I never knew about the downside of over exercise and never knew that a site like this, which would have been such a blessing, existed. So I just exercised and walked 6 days a week for 4 years until the pain became so bad that I knew it was time for replacement. I guess in my case ignorance and blind following of advice for a long time helped me in spite of myself.
 
I can relate to that mondo_caine
My hip was on it's last when I went to the OS 5 years ago. Born with CHD operations as a kid, plaster, metal hardware etc but it kept on keeping on in it's own fashion. Had a period about 10 years ago when it 'potholed' to use the OS expression. Hit an area of no cartilage and ground away, bone on bone even causing a greenstick fracture of the femur. Was on a cane for 6 months and then it came good!
So....exercise was my new mantra...5 years later the OS said keep fit, keep slim and keep exercising. You will know when it's time. And so I did and had a reprieve for 5 years until finally there was no more mileage to be had and here ai am, almost 5 weeks post op.
Learning to deal with the extra 3cms and even onto a cane today! All good!
 
Maeve, Absolutely. Soon after I began the exercise regimen the pain reduced and movement eased up a bit. I was so grateful for that and so scared of having it get worse I just had to keep exercising. I soon reached a plateau where the pain was bearable and the limits on my movement did not interfere too much with my life. That lasted for about 3 years after which things went downhill again. When I went to the doctor, he told me the time had come! Anyway I kept on exercising till the day before the operation.

Still, I don't regret the exercise. It was like a lucky charm for 3 plus years - as long as I did it, I would be (almost) okay. Over 3 years is a good enough period. And as my doc and physio said, the strength and flexibility I got from almost 4 years of exercise is what has helped me recover so fast. Talk about dumb luck!
 
5 weeks post op and things are going great. Overall the recovery has been much soother and pain free than I ever dared to hope. But I wish I could sleep properly! :hairpulling: I have always slept on my stomach and I still can't get used to lying on my back with the pillow between my legs or being able to only turn on to the non replacement side with the pillow still in place. GRRRRRRRR!!! :gaah:
 
[Bonesmart.org] On The Other Side
Yes, mondo_caine, that lack of sleep thing is annoying---but a small price to pay in the long run for the pain free life ahead. Just have to depend on lots of catnaps during the day to make up for what you can't get at night. Won't be long before you'll be allowed to sleep on your sides and without a pillow between your legs. So hang in there my friend, it will get better.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] On The Other Side
 
Bottomshollow, Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I have been lucky in the ease with which I went thought the operation and the almost pain free recovery. I just get so frustrated when I am in bed at night dozing for a few minutes and then waking up because of the uncomfortable position I am in. Also, to be honest, I like to have something to grumble about.
 
Hi All,

Sorry for my long absence. My mother away, who was 92 and in ill health took a turn for the worse and I had to rush to her side. She lingered on for a few day with much suffering but the end, which was a blessing, came 10 days ago. No sympathy please. Like I said, she lived a good life and her suffering is over.
I have a question - I did over do it while I was with my mother, including carrying the coffin. But I was careful and there were no abnormal aches and pains. Some days ago I was able to start my exercises and walking which I had not been able to do while I was away. Again no problems. But now, after about 5 days, I have started a low grade fever -99. Had it for 24 hours now. I read some old posts here that this happens when a person overdoes things for a few days and does not rest enough. Any advice? Is this correct and will a few days rest make it go away? Or should I go to the doc and risk appearing like a hypochondriac?

Help!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom