THR On the other side of surgery

Hello and Happy Friday Barbara,
By this point in recovery, and since your restrictions were lifted, PT is likely the same for both anterior and posterior as you move toward the same goals. Strengthening exercises, increasing your range of motion and working on your balance and gait.

Do keep this in mind -
In most cases it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.

The other thing we discussed is why my right thigh is still numb since the surgery. He said it could be from when they gave me the spinal shot in my L2/L3 area. They may have hit the nerve. He said to give it 6 months to heal. Huh, never heard of that before. I sure hope it heals because it's very strange to have a numb thigh. Sometimes it tingles and sometimes it feels like an electric shock.
The tingling and electric shock sensations are usually signs the nerves are regenerating, so give it the time your OS suggested.

But overall I'm doing well. I didn't even get depressed this time around. Last hip replacement was brutal. I fell into a deep dark depression and I was afraid that would happen again.
Without knowing details, which is your personal business, you were likely less focused on your own symptoms and recovery due to the responsibility you were forced to take on with your husband. Less time to be plagued by negative thoughts. With that said, no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. This time around you probably had less questions and less anxiety through the knowledge of experience from your first recovery. You know the pain and limitations improve, rather than fearing that your life will never feel normal again. That alone gives you more confidence in the healing process.

Glad to read all is going well to you. I hope you have a pleasant weekend!
Keep practicing heel-toe waking for the limp. :thumb:
 
You might ask the current therapist for a few exercises to print off so you could do them at home. Then just do that on your own until you see your surgeon again. Some stretching and walking are really all you need along with maybe some quad and glute strengthening exercises to do in moderation.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing so well. This has been a really tough time for you, but you’ve handled all your challenges so well. Hope hubby is doing well too. Your surgeon has the best guidance….just do what you want to, but listen to your body and stop if it hurts. Use the walking aid so you have a good, strong stride and then you can move to a cane. There is no time frame for any of this. Recovery is always unique to the person and that particular surgery.
 
Welp, I'm in the ODIC again. I had PT on Friday and was feeling good and strong so I did 3 reps of 10 squats and 3 reps of 10 clamshell (lying on back with theraband around knees). I rode the bike and was able to go all the way around with the peddle for the first time. Things are finally loosening up. We did a few other exercises like stepping up on a 3 inch step and that was pretty easy. Today, 2 days later, I'm struggling to even put my foot down. My left thigh muscle and butt muscle is killing me. I can't even do heel-to-toe without pain. Back to the ice pack and Advil today.
 
Ohhhh….I’m so sorry to hear this. But the good news is you know what happened and what to do to get better. I know it’s frustrating to have this happen when you felt so good. But that’s the way with recovery. Even though things are going well, you still have healing to do and things can go south pretty quickly if you try to go faster than your body is ready for.

Just do gentle bends and stretches and walking around the house in between your resting and icing and things should improve in a couple of days. Then once you’re not in pain, exercise the most important muscle of all - your patience muscle. Go slowly when adding new things to your exercise and activity routine. Just one new thing at a time until you see how you do. Keep in mind that pain is usually not going to appear if you overdo it until 24 or 48 hours later. If you’re really hurting, you can add some Tylenol to the Advil for your pain. The combination works well on pain.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Sorry you're hurting as you hit this milestone. Ice your glute and thigh muscles, take it easy and feel better soon!
@barbloki
 
I've been icing both muscles and took a pain pill. Feeling much better and ready for PT tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to tell him I need to take it easy this time. I don't feel as strong as I felt on Friday.
 
That's really wise, Barbara. Taking it easy will allow your soft tissue to repair themselves where trying to push with exercises could delay that process and maybe even make things worse. Just be sure that you don't take any pain medication close to the time you go to therapy. You don't want to mask your body's signals that would tell you when whatever you're doing is too much for right now.
 
Great news! Amazing what a little ice and rest can do. Glad you're feeling better, and hopefully even more so this morning. Hope you have a good PT session...slow and easy.
Happy Monday!
@barbloki
 
don't take any pain medication close to the time you go to therapy
Thanks for reminding me of this. I was going to take it before I went but you're right, I wouldn't be able to feel any pain. I had a good session yesterday and when it started to hurt, I told him so and we stopped. He didn't have me do anything that would irritate my thigh muscle. He isn't sure which exercises I did on Friday that would have caused such pain all weekend but we avoided that muscle. He did some massage on it and that helped.
I'm still limping without the cane so I'll keep using the cane.
I was able to get rid of the raised toilet seat with arms and can use the toilet normally now. Baby steps.
 
You’re absolutely right. Good for you for taking charge of your recovery.
 
I need to vent. So I went to the Christmas party at the senior center today. Lots of people and loud, lots of talking. I was there 4 1/2 hours and it about wore me out. Sitting in that chair so long was not good either. I wanted to leave but they saved the gift exchange for the end so I stayed. I did get up a few times and walk around to stretch a little.

Anyway, there's a woman who goes there who complains about everything and gossips about everyone. You know the type. I'm sure she gossips about me because she does it to everyone else. Anyway, many people were asking me how I'm doing since the surgery because they haven't seen me in a couple of months. I said I am doing well but not all the way there yet. Someone asked me know long it's been and I said "9 weeks." That woman said "I'd be walking without a cane by now." grrrrrrrr I bit my tongue. Then later they took pictures with santa claus up on a stage and the steps to go up there were higher than a normal step. Like someone took a wooden box and made homemade steps. There was no way I could lift my leg that high yet. I'm not even doing regular standard stairs yet. I said I wasn't getting my picture taken because I couldn't go up those steps. She's said she would just go do it. Well. That was it. I lost my cool and told her that I am a rule follower and my surgeon has told me NOT to walk without the cane yet and NOT to do stairs yet and I wasn't going to jeopardize my recovery for a picture with santa. I said some other stuff but I don't remember what I said. I was so mad! Her face got red and she shut right up. I'm sure she will gossip about me next week when I'm not there. She's never had a joint replacement so she has NO IDEA how she would react. But if she did get a hip replaced, she probably wouldn't follow the rules and would end up with a lifelong limp. I prefer to work on my gait and get it right so I can have a good quality of life going forward. Ugh, some people need to just mind their own business. She had no right to judge how I'm handling my recovery.
Thanks for listening.
 
I think every BoneSmartie here will relate to your anger at this clueless busybody. She sounds like a person to avoid if at all possible. Obviously you know your decision is the right one. But it’s still rough to have to endure comments like these. Hang in there….maybe one day she’ll need a joint replaced and you can have the joy of telling her, “I told you so.” when she gets to recovery.
 
Hi Barbara,
I fully understand your feelings. Her comments were insensitive. Each persons recovery is unique, so you didn't deserve that. Using a cane while still limping is what you should be doing and you're certainly not the only person using a cane at only nine weeks post op. Avoiding a high step that made you uncomfortable is wise until you feel stronger, steadier and more confident. You're still healing, you're not behind. If you see this woman again and she offers her unsolicited opinion, consider telling her that your OS and PT are happy with your progress, you're right where you should be and their opinions are the only ones that matter to you.
Happy Weekend!
@barbloki
 
@barbloki It never ceases to amaze me how easily people offer their unsolicited advice and disinformation. My MIL is always sharing crazy ideas about things that we know she got from the busybodies at her senior center. Unfortunately, she takes what they say as gospel. I’m glad you spoke up to demonstrate that they aren’t the experts they purport themselves to be. Others will be helped more by what you said and will say because it’s coming from actual experience and expert advice from your surgery team and BoneSmart. Hang in there. You’re doing just fine.
 
Good for you standing your ground! We’ve all had encounters or comments like that while in recovery. And majority come from people who have never had ANY surgery let alone a joint replacement.
Let her gossip. Who cares.
If only she knew what you have been through with your husband being hospitalized twice and jeopardizing your own recovery to care for him. You are a good woman & wife. Im proud of you!
 
There's a great quote I use to remind myself when this happens to me:

"Other people's opinion of me are none of my business. They don't define who I am; only I can do that."

You're doing great.
 
Time has gotten away from me. I can't believe I haven't posted anything since my birthday. We got through the holidays which are always rough for me. Hubby's wounds are mostly healed. The 2nd one is still bleeding a little but it doesn't need daily dressing anymore. My nursing services are no longer needed.

I've been going to PT twice per week and doing my exercises at home. My muscles are getting stronger every day. The therapist has slowly increased the step from 2 inches to now 6 inches. Step up, step down, step up, step down. Then sideways... up and over to the right and then back to the left. Those were the hardest because they were using a totally different muscle. I'm easily doing the 6 inch step now so at home I'm practicing on the stairs which are 7 inches. I can go up but I feel it a lot in that left hip muscle so I'm taking it slow. My goal is to be able to go up and down the stairs without any issues. He also has me doing stretches for my left leg so I can get my foot up to put on a sock. I can't quite reach it yet but it's better than it was. And I'm almost ready to ditch the cane. My heel-toe walking is greatly improved and the limp is almost gone. I have 2 more weeks of PT and I'm sure I'll be ready to graduate.

My new focus will be on losing some weight and starting an exercise program. Once I get rid of this rented hospital bed from my office I'll have room to start exercising again. They are supposed to pick up the hospital bed on Tuesday and then I can get this room put back together. I am so glad I rented the bed for my recovery. It was really helpful to have the hand rails and to be able to adjust the head and foot of the bed those first few weeks. There is no way I could have gotten into my regular bed after surgery. It's too high up and I would have had to hop or tippy toe or something.

Oh, the one thing that has not improved is my right thigh. It's still numb as if I had a shot of novocaine. I think I previously mentioned after my last visit with the surgeon that he thinks it is related to the spinal shot they gave me. He thinks they nicked the nerves. So we don't know if it's permanent or if it will eventually get the feeling back. I'm kind of disappointed but it's not life threatening and I guess it could have been worse, right?
 
Thanks for your update, glad to see how much better you are doing.
You should be lifting your leg to put socks on in no time, I found with time I was able to increase the range and suddenly my leg was crossed over my knee to put on my socks.
Glad to hear your husband is mostly healed.
 
You are doing really well! This is so good to hear after all you’ve had to deal with on top of surgery recovery. Nerves heal so slowly it may be months before you know the outcome of your numb thigh. I know it’s frustrating to try and be patient, but this is one thing you just have to wait out. It’s still possible for things to improve or resolve completely, so don’t give up hope just yet.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom