THR On the other side of surgery

What a great update, Barbara! Things are looking up in the early days of this new year.
Not posting as often usually means you're getting back to living life, which is our goal post surgery. With that said, we love updates and especially reading about the progress you're making, so stay in touch!
Happy New Year!
@barbloki
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Barbara!
How are you doing and how is PT going? I'll bet you're getting close to wrapping it up with PT.
I hope the new year is off to a good start for you. :thumb:
Happy Wednesday!
@barbloki
 
Hi @Layla
I'm healing up nicely. I was supposed to finish up PT this week but my therapist has been out of work with sick child all week so I didn't have PT. Now he's booked up so my final appt will be Feb 2 so he can do the evaluation for my medical record (and I guess for the insurance company). I still have a little "pinch" feeling in the groin area but I saw the surgeon on Tuesday and he said it's nothing to worry about and will resolve with time. Also, when I first stand up, it's kind of "ouch" on that first step until I get going/walking. I just keep doing my leg exercises, bridges, and squats to strengthen everything and I do feel a lot stronger. Hard to believe it's been 3 whole months! So grateful for this wonderful group.
Barbara
 
Glad to hear you are doing well and getting your life back. Sounds like a week off from PT has not been a problem, your therapist can do your discharge on the 2nd and answer any questions you may have.
 
We're thankful you joined us, Barbara! It's wonderful that you're doing so well. I'm happy for you.
Remember how you were concerned before surgery because after your first THR you fell into a deep depression? You didn't have time to be depressed after this THR :wink: You were busy caring for hubs while working on your own recovery. You're stronger than you think and you're doing awesome!
@barbloki
 
Great update and I wanted to say I’ve had that little “pinch” feeling you describe off and on after my replacement as well but mine was on outside of my hip. I found once I started moving around for the day it went away.
As fellow replacement participants here we share many similarities even though we all have very individual journeys. Continue on your road to recovery!
 
Hi

Just wanted to check in and give an update. My final PT appt has been changed/cancelled 3 times now due to the PT being out sick and last week's ice storm and this week's snow storm. I am now scheduled for next week Feb 9 for my final evaluation and release from PT. I've been doing the PT exercises here at home and I'm amazed at how much stronger I feel. Little things like I can stand up from the chair without using the arms of the chair. I'm sure it's because of all the "sit to stand" and squats he has me do. 3 reps of 10, 3 times per week. Now that I can get down on the floor and get myself back up, he has me doing side leg lifts. Those are still a little tough and I struggle on the last few lifts. I get to 8 and I'm list UGH, 2 more! But yes, I can get up off the floor now which I'm sure I couldn't have done before I started all this PT. So all is good on that front. And I've lost 17 lbs since starting all this exercise so that's a plus. I had gained weight before the surgery because I couldn't do much of anything.

My incision is healed up good now but there's one area that is sort of raised up. That's the area where I had a lot of drainage and soaked my first bandage and had to go to the surgeon's office for a new one on week 2. They cleaned my skin with chlorhexidine (which I'm allergic to) and I got that awful rash and redness. Anyway, the surgeon said to massage the raised area to break up the scar tissue.

I only have 2 lingering issues.

1. I still can't put my sock on. I can't lift my foot up to my knee yet because my hip is still very tight. I wish I had kept a diary of my other hip replacement in 2022 so I would know when I was finally able to put on a sock. (Yes, I have the sock device.) I'm just concerned that it's taking too long to loosen up and it seems like I should be able to do it by now. It's been almost 4 months since surgery.

2. I get groin pain when doing one of the PT exercises. It's call the Supine Piriformis Stretch with Leg Straight. I have to lay on the floor with my right leg straight and pull my left knee up and over to the right. It pinches in my groin. I told the surgeon about this and he said it's still healing and not to worry. I never had this problem with my other hip replacement so yes, I'm concerned. I go back for xrays in 3 months.

I have cabin fever right now. We had the ice storm last week and the snow storm this week so everything is cancelled and closed. The senior center was closed all last week and this week. They haven't delivered mail for almost 2 weeks. I had to go to the post office yesterday to pick up mail and the parking lot was icy. I was nervous walking on the ice. There were about 10 people in line ahead of me because no one's mail is being delivered around here so I had to stand in that line for quite a long time. My hip was getting a little tired which tells me I'm definitely not all healed yet.

Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Great update but please be careful walking on ice. You don’t want to slip and fall. That will set you back considerably. We had 18 inches of snow and then freezing temps. Fortunately I’m on vacation now in very warm climate. But I will have to return next week! And the temperatures are still in teens and wind chills below zero. I’ve never seen such a prolonged period of frigid temps.
 
@myglasshalffull Lucky you to be in a warm climate right now. Most of the U.S. is freezing, even parts of Florida.
You are exactly right. I don't want to fall on the ice. I cringe at the thought of it. But can you break a titanium hip or would it just pop out of joint? I don't want to try it and find out.
 
I wish I had kept a diary of my other hip replacement in 2022 so I would know when I was finally able to put on a sock.
I never had this problem with my other hip replacement so yes, I'm concerned. I go back for xrays in 3 months.
My hip was getting a little tired which tells me I'm definitely not all healed yet.
Hi barbloki, It sounds like you're doing really well overall. Great news!

The quotes above are intended as a gentle reminder that no two hip recoveries are alike, even with the same person and you will notice improvements throughout your first year post op and possibly even beyond. It's not quite four months yet since surgery, so you do have time to enjoy more progress.

What helped me get a sock on was to sit on the sofa, or bed, back in far enough so that when you raise your leg up on whatever you're sitting on, your ankle is right at the edge of the bed / sofa, your foot is dangling off the edge, giving you the ability to put the sock on. It may not work for you, but It's worth a try.

Regarding a fall. Falls are more likely to fracture the bone around the implant rather than breaking the implant itself. It could also loosen the implant, or as you mentioned cause a dislocation. So please be very careful.

I just mentioned this to another member in hip recovery the other day...
If you don't already have a pair, look up traction cleats, gripper spikes, or ice cleats, as key words to search for these products online, if interested. If you're unfamiliar, they're relatively inexpensive and normally slip on over boots or shoes for better traction on icy surfaces.

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice to hear from you. Stay warm and also stay safe out there.
Spring will be here soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Layla for the sock tip. I just tried it and it worked! Ugh, it's been so frustrating. I don't remember having this trouble with my other hip replacement but like you said, no 2 surgeries are alike.

I will look into those cleats. I definitely don't want to slip and fall and it's been really icy around here. THINK SPRING!!
 
I don't remember having this trouble with my other hip replacement but like you said, no 2 surgeries are alike.
One thing to remember when you're feeling frustrated...My OS's PA reminded me very early on that while the prosthetic hip can get really close, it will never match our natural hip. So keep that in mind as you continue healing. It's very possible you'll always have one hip that under performs a bit. I view it as, if the pain is gone and I can do most things...I'm good! You will be too, Barbara! :wink:
 
@barbloki Even when one has both hips replaced at the same time, no two replacements are the same! It took me much longer to get right foot onto left knee than it took to get left foot onto right knee! My right hip was worse than the left to start with - and the muscles around it were more debilitated. And you will get to a point were you don't notice you have newer than original equipment hips :) These days, 14 years after hip replacements, I rarely even think of the hips .... until I sign in here :snork:
 
Hello @barbloki :wave:

I think you are doing marvellously! As you say, no two hips are the same. My left side done March 25 is still a lot stiffer than the hip I had done August 25. When I spoke to my surgeon recently, he confirmed that our ability to do certain things will return over time and often overnight. He said it related to different internal soft tissue healing at different rates. Soft tissue healing doesn't always follow a set timeline. That makes sense to me because I can imagine one area of soft tissue staying tight because the body is protecting another area that isn't yet healed to cope with the associated stress. Everything is connected like a team and is often held back by the weakest member.

You'll look back in a couple of months and be amazed at your progress. The weather will be better too!
 
You'll look back in a couple of months and be amazed at your progress
I hope you're right. I just feel like I shouldn't be having any pain at this time. I don't think I had any pain at 4 months after my right hip but I can't remember and I didn't document that surgery. I wish I had.
 
Pain at this point is certainly not unusual, Barbara. Maybe you just lucked out with your Right THR and this time is different for any number of reasons. You may have ramped up activity too quickly as you're feeling better?

If you're still doing PT exercises at home, consider giving it a break. If you're able to go somewhere for a walk daily, it may be all you need right now as your body continues to heal over the next several months.

In regard to your regrets over not documenting your first recovery, you can request copies of your OS visits for your personal records and you may glean how you were doing at those points in time of your first recovery, even though no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. Bet you're tired of hearing that. :wink:
I hope you have a great end of the week. :thumb:
@barbloki
 
@barbloki My right hip at 11 months post op will still sing out if I really overdo it. Most of the time, I forget I've had it replaced now but it does surprise me some days. In my experience pain in either hip has a direct correlation to my level and type of activity. Squatting type exercises, can trigger both hips. Lifting and carrying things can also be a pain trigger. You're doing quite a bit of exercise and so as Layla said, maybe ease off a little. I have what I call a reset if things flair up. I have a quiet couple of days and then build back up again watching what I do and trying to spot the thing that is a trigger. All kinds of things make a difference, wearing a pair of shoes that are a bit heavier than usual, going for a walk on rougher ground, bending over and pulling something, pushing something or lifting something. All these things and things I can't recall readily have triggered lingering pain. Top of my list is doing physio type exercises. Something seemingly innocent like a few squats can trigger discomfort that lasts a few days. We're all different, your triggers may be different to mine but I expect you may have some hidden in your routine.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Barbara :wave:
February 14th is a special day on which to celebrate your four month anniversary. Hopefully you and hubs can do something fun on this Valentine's Day to celebrate all you've made it through together over the past several months. I hope you have a nice weekend! :loveshwr:
@barbloki
 
Happy Seven Month Anniversary, barblocki!
I hope life is pretty much returning to normal for you. We'd love to hear how things are going at this point if you have the time to update.
Have a lovely Spring and Summer 2026! :flwrysmile:
@barbloki
 
Hi @Layla, 7 months has gone by fast. It seems like yesterday I was dealing with a new hip and then dressing my husband's surgery wounds while I was still on a walker. Glad that's over with.

My hip is doing great. I still have the occasional twinge of healing pain but mostly it's gone. It's still VERY stiff. I am still struggling to get my left foot up onto my knee to put on a sock. I practice stretching every day and it's definitely helping, just slowly.

I had blood work done April 29 and found out I now have stage 3a chronic kidney disease. So from my clean bill of health annual physical in December to April 29 I developed kidney disease. I did what everyone does and went to Google. I could have caused this myself by taking too much Advil after surgery. I was taking 3 Advil/2 Tylenol every 6 hours for several weeks. So that could have done it. Or it could be the daily electrolyte drinks I started drinking in January with too much sodium, potassium, and phosphorus. The soonest I can get into a kidney doctor is Aug 12 so I'm on my own to treat this new condition. I need to follow a low potassium, low phosphorus, low sodium diet now. And drink lots of plain water. Awww... the joys of getting old.

But the hip is doing GREAT. I'm back to exercising every day. I've lost 27 lbs since November 8th when I started going to PT and now exercising at home.

Happy spring and summer to all the bone smarties!

Barbara
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom