THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi zauberflöte,
Funny the English language or at least each country's useage! Bub is indeed baby! :)
 
can you put some Arnica cream on them providing the skin is not open?
heh heh I'm not sure i can even reach them! They are tiny and of no account compared to the enormous gravity-fed bruises on my right leg. I'm going to ask you, over on my thread, if it is safe for me to use arnica yet-- is it a blood thinner? Don't answer here, let me tag you on my thread... :)

Bub is indeed baby!
Here in US, Bub is used for "brother" but not saying "he is my bub", as in saying, "hey brother can you spare a dime?" could be "hey bub your shirt tail is hanging out!" My younger son's baby nickname was "Bubbins" from "Bubba", an American South generic name for brother, or, a generic name for some redneck friend of yours... "Bubba" and "Sissy"-- brother and sister...the list goes on :) I love words!
 
Funny, today I had a visit from a very close friend, her daughter and the daughter's new bub. Lovely BUT it was ver obvious during the coffee chat that there was an expectation I would have been far less immobile than I am...i.e. using a cane! Go figure!! Lots of comments like....so just another week before you'll be back to normal.
It's hard not to despair of others's lack of understanding about how long and hard this recovery is!
So tiring too to explain just WHY you need to use the cane


Hi, Maeve ... may I ask how on earth you responded to your close friend/daughter when they made these comments? I really sympathize. I too have had similar comments. I am expecting many more when I return to work and I honestly don't know what to say.

Hope you're doing well, dreaming about your upcoming trip!
 
Hi Peaches,
My usual response is just to ignore it or try to explain that the important part of my full recovery is the long term result. Not the short term outcome that might make others feel better and that I would in fact compromise the longer term recovery by removing walking support too quickly.
I think people's reaction/comment says a bit about their vulnerability.....
Still it gets wearing. I know they say old age is not for sissies, but from my experience neither is Recovery!!! :gaah:
 
On a happier note had a good day today. Went to a very interesting Author Talk....Applied Ethics. The book raised some key ethical issues across a range of occupations from engineers, vets, lawyers.....right across the spectrum. Some interesting discussions followed!!
Felt like I had a day pass from jail. Drove,parked bought some sushi and coffee and up to the library. Then had a coffee with a friend followed by a short shop in KMart to buy an ironing board cover then home. Almost like a normal person!
I did have good intentions to use the Hydro pool at the weekend but they were not realised. The weather was too lousy!
Still did do all my exercises. Tomorrow another physio session.
 
Hello there, Maeve! I'm 6 months out and still recovering - don't need any walking aids but it is taking ages to get any sort of stamina back. If I sit for too long, walk too far, etc. - my muscles and joints complain.
I do believe that the correct response to the "back to normal" comments involves using a stick/cane but not for walking! :heehee:
I may also need my knee replaced at some point but not yet, need to get over this first.
Now be a good girl, do as you are told and REST!!!! Seeing you on-line now and given the time difference - well, I'll say no more.
Happy healing
Anne
 
Well Maeve You certainly are doing well. You must be so glad to get out and about. Good for you! I hope all continues smoothly for you.
 
I do believe that the correct response to the "back to normal" comments involves using a stick/cane but not for walking! :heehee:
yup! I make sure I tell everyone I talk to that I may be walking ok and look good to them, but recovery can take up to two YEARS! So when I see them down the line and am still toting my cushion or being tired, I can remind them of what i said the last time.
I have a neighbor friend who had a knee a few years ago. He recovered just like the old soldier he is-- worked hard immediately at getting around and doing yard work. The result (I'm assuming that's what it's from) is that his knee is permanently bent about 15 degrees. But he's happy as can be-- it doesn't hurt, and he gets around. This is what counts in the end anyway, patient satisfaction. :)
 
Aargh feel really silly now, just made a sad sack post on my own thread about feeling sore....at 7 weeks bahahaha, I am as bad as your friends at thinking I should be fully recovered! Geez it can be tough somedaysI need to be a little kinder to myself! Xx
 
Yes kiwigirl,
Do be kinder to yourself! I know it's easy to say when I'm not good at it myself...but as the old saying goes"do what I say not what I do! Lol!
Love your suggestion Nannyannie about the best use for the cane! I'm a bit of a night owl hence my postscat odd hours. Have to say I'm sleeping well now. On either side with a pillow but the physio put the fear of God onto me today about the way I should put the pillow in case my knee drops over onto the mattress as I sleep! Also told me some horror stories about failures to keep with the 90 degree rule and dislocations.
Still Perhaps they are salutary warnings for the 8 week point where you do tend to think all may be OK.
He was however happy with the way I am walking and said I can be 'sans cane' inside the house and for short walks where the ground is even, smooth and flat.
Yeah right....not many Sydney streets/ footpaths meet that criteria!
Love your upbeat attitude zauberflöte. Everyone needs a zauberflote in their life and luckily we've got you on bonesmart!
Thanks ByGosh. It IS good to feel normal....whatever that is! :egypdance:
 
Maeve what a sadist, your physio-- but maybe he gets good results from scaring the snot out of people...LOL no cane at home is great!! You have come such a long way. That long trip is quite the motivator, isn't it? :)
Thank you for your kind remark :) I feel quite two-faced, as I can be upbeat as all getout on here, when at home I have just reamed out the 23 yr old kid for teasing the cat with his hot dog. One day at a time......
 
My energy levels are improving so today I did a lot of cupboard sorting and have a pot roast in the oven.
Also finally removed the over toilet seat. Good riddance I say.
Went for a drive yesterday down through one of our National Parks south of Sydney to some pretty little villages on the south coast...as did everyone else who was still in Sydney. It is a long weekend and lots of people go away.
No chance of lunch at the scenic hotel so we went cheap and cheerful to the local club.
Thought I 'd see how I go in the car. Fine for two plus hour stretches but stiffen up after then so that's a good guage for our trip to Armidale next week. It's about a six hour drive inland and north of Sydney. A very nice drive. I have a client there and I'm doing a site audit of their HR compliance. It's a very successful regional Credit Union. All financial service providers in Australia need to demonstrate behavioural compliance including documented training and assessment of staff who provide financial advice and high standards of competence and continuing professional development for all key managers and executives. These are mandatory conditions for maintaing their licence.
So it will be a working trip. They're a favourite client though and know my husband well so he will chauffeur me and enjoy a game of golf with the CEO while I do the hard graft. Still nice to get out into the country and I'm feeling quite up for it!
My physio is going well. Have orthotics on order to correct my knock kneed stance.My knees will be happy during this relearning processs.Only minor corrections compared to the pre op horrors of my old orthotics...and no heel lift!!
My weakness is still my glutes. Most noticeable trying to walk up stairs on my operated leg first....especially can't go up without using baby steps. The physio has pointed out the specific exercises that work on the glute in isolation so I need to concentrate on them.
After a busy day I've now run out of puff so will get my husband to to chauffer us to the supermarket for some groceries. Was going to do it by myself but the trolley, travelator, car packing sounds a bit much on my own.
No cane at all today but will take it shopping.
Planning hydro tomorrow at 10. Will pop my head in and say Hi to my old Fitball group before I head for the pool and some hydro and then refresh with a coffee before saying Hi to the Pilates group.
Happy to have dinner sorted as I've still got the extensive exercises to do after that!
Then I think a Chardonnay is warranted.
 
Maeve, just finished reading your post and I am [Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum . Wow, what a schedule!!! Happy to hear you're doing so well and feel able to do so much---but be careful---don't want you to really overdo and have regrets.

I think I'll drop by and join you in a glass [Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum Sounds just the ticket after such a busy day.
 
wow Maeve indeed what a schedule! You are getting well warmed up for that wonderful trip later. How nice that hubby can distract the CEO with golf while you stick it to 'em LOL.
Glad the orthotics will be less intrusive!
When I am 8 weeks I will come back and read this, and I will STILL be exhausted:rotfl:
 
Well quite a while since posting on my own thread but I've been having fun contributing to the thread about churches, stairs, atheists ....such a widevrange if humorous friends on this forum. Can't remember whose thread nor all the contributors but Peaches , TeeEm,ByGosh, sandybeach,zauberflöte, Nannyannie, BarbaraR come to mind!
I'm away in the country wt the moment on a small consultancy job. 6 hours drive from Sydney. Got a bit stiff but stopped to stretch every couple of hours so not too bad.
Busy week before.
Thursday I cooked and packed food to take to my daughter's for dinner -a chicken chorizo and white bean casserole, crumbed chicken pieces and a large macaroni cheese! Yummy they all thought. After an early dinner we went to the Performance of The Year!! Fletch starred as Alf Bueller....one of the "regular" kids" in the school's production of Back to the 80s. For those who don't know this show there are cool kids, regular kids and nerds! It's all narrated by one of them grown up now and as a flashback.
The killer song was The Proclaimers 500 miles. What a hoot!
It was SO good. Amazing talents among high school kids these days, their own orchestra, fantastic lighting, scenery singing, dancing and acting. I was blown away. Fletch, my grandson of course was fantastic. So what started as a grandparent's duty turned out to be a great night.
Friday was a Heartmoves class and packing for my country work trip.
On Saturday I went to the Sydney Theatre for a play called Maids. I know critics raved and I agree, the acting showcased every vocal, facial and bodily skill ever taught at NIDA to our Cate Blanchett. The french import also acted her heart out. But I just didn't connect with it. A stella performance, innovative staging and direction but no heart. I think it might tour to NY as most of Cate's plays seem to!

I sat in a sunny office looking today out at a freezing day. Minus 3 last night. My bottle of water in the car was frozen this morning when we drove to my It was 6.8 degrees today. According to the weather site I just looked up it that feels like 4.5 with the chill factor. Brrrrrr. Could NOT live in a cold climate.
More work tomorrow.

Driving back on Wednesday, unpacking and washing Thursday and back to exercise and physio.
Walking well...so everyone tells me...as long as there are not too many stairs.! Lol. :)
 
Hey a@mondo_caine,. How's it going?
Remind me what your thread is titled and I'll check out your progress! :SUNsmile:
 
Maeve this is a stupendous update! You are doing now, practically as much as I did before I "retired" at age 50! I love Cate Blanchett-- I only get to see her films, more's the pity.
Fletch, on the other hand, made your heart glow, it's easy to tell :) You're right, high schoolers have tremendous talent, and often love to perform.
Brrrrr for your country trip. That's plenty cold for me, too. But you have your woolies and mittens and whatnot, and even maybe a warm pool at your hotel? Did your husband actually play golf in this weather? I know golfers are fanatical...
Watch out for those stairs :)
 
Maeve you have been one busy lady. Keep it up exercise is what we all need. You sound like a very proud grandma for all the right reasons.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom