Guest viewing is limited

THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maeve. So nice to hear your news.sounds like you are strong and healthy. I thought of you today as I finally got to Manhattan by subway and went to the Asics store. Think you bought the Gel Nimbus? I have the Gel Forte-good for very flat feet. Thanks for the suggestion, and for your inspiring posts. Have a wonderful time on your trip. It sounds great.
What did you think of the movie? I was a little creeped out by his fondness for young men, among other things.
 
Hi LeeApril26.
You are so right about how creepy he was. Michael Douglas was eerily awful ...a stella role for him. Matt Damon was good too. Funny re the audience at our movie theatre. Lots of women of the blue rinse type who expected a lovely movie me thinks... A Sound of Music genre perhaps so I think quite a lot of them would have choked on their Pimms and Lemonades that night at Happy Hour in their Retirement homes! Lol.
Good on you for negotiating Manhatten. Hope the Asics work out well for you. Mine are great.
Hope the shoes and me c :dancy: ope with one of the shore excursions I just booked for Jordan. It's a 10 hour trip to Petra and involves 7 miles of walking. A bit adventurous but it's a must see I think. More nervous about climbing into the water taxi at Marco Polo airport in Venice...the drivers are real cowboys and the wharf is a bit scary. Not much emphasis on OH&S!
Well...you only live once I say and this new hip must be more stable than the old one!
 
Vetgirl... Meet another Aussie girl inspiration, about to take off o/s for a big trip... Maeve... Our vetgirl needs some Aussie support :)
 
Maeve. Oh, those poor blue-haired ladies. Not quite the Sound of Music. Your trip sounds increasingly fabulous. I saw an exhibit at the Museum of Natural History about Petra that made me want to see it badly, but unfortunately not a great time for a US citizen to wander about the Middle East. We went to Morocco 15 years ago and loved it. I don't think iI could do seven miles now without breaks, but if Petra was at the other end I would be powerfully motivated. I am envisioning your bouncing water taxi but am sure that you will enter gracefully. How many places will your cruise visit?
The Asics gait testing was useful, and the shoes are very supportive.
 
Maeve great report. Your trip sounds wonderful. Something to look forward to.
I am still working on ROM of right leg which was done in December 2012. It is improving slowly.
 
Maeve what a great report-- I can feel your joy at just not hesitating to walk around alot before your movie! I have similar joy at knowing i can move fast enough to get out f the way of people in the store, for example-- about a week ago I just stopped carrying my cane for shopping, and waltz across the parking lot and around the grocery store/big box store/whatever quite happily. More aches and twinges tho-- I'm working on remembering the ice! LOL
 
Well. I think it's time I check out of bonesmart.
For me, it's important to disconnect from my rehab life now and move forward.
It's been nice knowing you all and I'm hoping you all make great recoveries and can move forward.
For me that means not dwelling on twinges and remedies . So Au revoir to you all and thank you for supporting me through the recent recovery. :cheers:
 
Off you go, back into the real world!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Maeve.... Have a wonderful trip, my thoughts will be with you on the 20 Aug... you know why :)

Don't be a stranger though, pop by at Christmas, hugs Aussie girl xx
 
Thank you Poppet and Cardie...aka C Mac for your good wishes. Also good news from clifford149.
Will certainly check in from time to time and I wish you all speedy recoveries and good health! :)
 
Maeve I've been thinking of you, as you get ready for your os trip. I've enjoyed your time here overlapping with mine. As Cardie says, back to the real world with you, girl! :)
 
Maeve loved chatting with you, and appreciated your positive influence. Enjoy your trip.
 
Well, here I am checking in after a fantastic two months overseas. My hip is a non event...didn't even notice it!
Walked miles everyday...Barcelona,Madrid, Venice, Yorkshire dales and moors, Rome, Ostia Antica....now that was a walk and a half...a city of Roman ruins about an hour out of Rome, rained a bit so walking through 3 miles of muddy Roman roads was a bit of a test but my hip was fine!
The it was off on our cruise from Rome to Singapore. What a fantastic trip from the picture postcard Santorini, through Oman, Jordan etc with the eyeopening sights of Mumbai and the Dharavi Slum City. A trip of a lifetime!
So 6 months post a pretty radical THR ( including a bit of leg lengthening and a repositioning of my femur) I could not be fitter.
It was so worth doing the hard yards of rehab, including the couple of months working with the physio and the exercise physiologist and my commitment to exercising every day.
Now it's back to the mundane and one more challenge...getting up and down on the floor with ease for pilates and yoga. Any clues fellow hippies? I tend to get on hands and knees to get up and then walk my hands back to my toes and stand up from there....would that cause any problems?? Any advice gratefully received.
Hoping everyone is powering along and life is good!
 
Maeve,
Your trips sounds glorious! And, it's great that your hip was not an issue at all. I loved Ostia Antica. The ability to climb up into 2000 year old apartment houses is amazing.
As for getting up from the floor, I have been doing it for yoga class like this: To get down I put both hands on the floor, and get on my knees one at a time. Then I sit. I get up from the hands and knees position by putting my foot of my operated side flat on the ground with my hands on the floor and push up with both hands and move the other foot into the flat position. It works. I do it on a mat, usually, but can also do it on a wooden floor if I keep my shoes on. In just socks on a wooden floor it is slippery.
Let us know if you post photos of your trip. Congratulations on your wonderful recovery.
Lenora
 
Thank you so much Leonora LeeApril26.
I will definitely try that. Are you on Facebook? My pics are all on there! Don't know quite how to post them all anywhere else but Picasaweb? There are hundreds!
Nice to know you've also also been to Ostia Antica so you can picture it exactly.
Cheers
Fran
 
Your trip sounds fantastic Fran. So glad your hip cooperated.

Get down and up from the floor can be challenging at first. Your backwards lift sounds just fine but might be tricky for anyone with a bad back. For me the trick was to build strength in my legs so they did all the lifting. It can take awhile - just keep at it. You might ask your pilates teacher for any tricks as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom