THR On the other side and now in the right forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
Halle Berry was the other one LOL
 
Maeve. Thanks so much for the hydro exercises. I will try to make my glutes on the operated side do more work. We have a cabin in in the country, and once the weather is warm enough I have access to a pool and a lake. finally got here Saturday and have been working in the pool. Since my OS prescribed PT, we go back to NYC today for my appointment tomorrow. I have a medical visit on 7/15 and am going to ask about using the pool instead of PT. I think it is more effective.

Your cruise sounds wonderful.
 
Time for me to update my thread I think.
So I've cheated and done a " cut and paste" from a reply I just posted on TeeEm thread....sorry for my laziness TeeEm.
I'm progressing every day. The cane is a bit of a "security blanket" for me. Mostly without it...at home or out but we have had two weeks of rain...incessant, so just in case, I take it with me..slippery surfaces are a bit daunting.
The reality is I'm probably more stable than I was before the op.
it's a nuisance carrying the cane but have just bought a collapsible one to take on my OS trip. Quite compact and I can leave it in my handbag.
Did a big excursion on Thursday. Bus, train and a half km walk to the theatre...down hill on the way, uphill on the return.
The hardest bit was the getting off the bus. Our Sydney drivers never pull right into the kerb so it's always a challenge. Still I did it!
On Wednesday I'm off to the city for a keratin hair treatment. On the bus, by myself. I'm afraid not to take the cane..just in case. Have this awful fear that without it I might be stuck on the bus..the step down may be too far. I know it's just mind over matter andvonce I have done it it will be all OK the next time. Hate being fearful.
On a positive note, exercise physiology sessions start in earnest on Tuesday. Have lots of faith in my exercise physiologist.
Loving my Heartmoves class at the gym...cardio, strength, stretches. Good fun and I can see the progress.
Now I must focus on the confidence bit.
 
I just replied on Teeems thread so I cut and pasted my reply to here on your thread :heehee:​
Maeve Good for you getting the bus and walking up and down hill. I'm with you on the cane as a security blanket. I am more stable now than pre op but the confidence does get knocked when you have mobility issues. I went on the bus with my partner the first time post op. I didn't need help but it helped me having him there.
Getting a hair treatment sounds good. My hair has suffered post op it gets tangled easily and is in poor condition. The body has sent all the energy to healing the hips so something has to give.
It sounds like you have lots of activities going on to get you fit. I am tired just reading it :heehee:​

 
Hi Elosarabrab,
I also had my husband with me for the big excursion but I plan to do the trip to the city on Wednesday by myself.
I am so scared of being dependent ...never have been..such a control freak am I but this recovery process somehow puts doubts in my mind about my capability.
I Need to work on the confidence bit :angel: I think!
 
Maeve the first solo trip is really hard but after that it is easier. This fear/dependency stuff stinks! Each time I do something new on my own I get anxious. Have never been this way. Hope you have sunny skies on Wednesday. Let us know.
 
All about gaining confidence Maeve.. Once you do the first solo trip you will be fine.

I remember the first time I went out during the lunch time crowds, I was quite apprehensive and very relieved to get back to work..

It gets easier :)
 
Once again a bit of cheating here!
i have copied and pasted this update from another thread I replied to! Lazy I know but why not! :snork:
so here is my update!
I'm pleased to say the cane is now a thing of the past! Actually, when I went solo to the city on a bus the other day, I took a new fold up one in my bag....just on case. But I didn't get it out at all and I walked quite a distance in the city with busy footpaths. Eyes to the ground all the time, which is the next"legacy" I need to work on.
I have realised when giving myself a bit of a pep talk, that my hip is far more stable than it was before the op and I didn't use a cane then so I know, on an intellectual level, thatI don't need it and I am no liklier to fall now than I did before. Of course a fall now would be very bad but I need to not be a "recovering patient "any more.
What has really helped me is my exercise program...not physio but exercise physiology. In the hydro pool. I have such a great young guy who has explained that now I need to use all my muscles...just like a normal person Lol and not the preferred muscles that have compensated all these years. And it's really working. I am lucky enough to have the time to devote an hour and a half 3 days a week and to be a member of a fantastic gym/aquatic centre where the facilities are first class. Fantastic hydro pool...even has a large spa section. Lovely after the hard work. I also do three sessions of a Heartmoves class...boxing, stepper, strength. The only bit I don't dare try is the fitball balance. The instructor brings in a chair for me for that bit and I balance on the edge for the theraband partner work.
I was very scared on my excursion to the city...what if i couldn't step down off the bus if it did not lull into the kerb...lots of what ifs...
But I did it. That's not to say there won't be other hurdles...flying by myself to my sister's birthday. Navigating the airport, the shuttle, the luggage....and the OS trip soon toobut I plan to try and self talk and keep up the exercise regime....it means I need to plan all other activities, outings around the exercise but I believe it will be worth it for the next month.
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
GREAT update, Maeve!!!! Before long you won't even think about this hip as you just live your life. Everything is just getting better and better. So happy for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Reflecting on my recovery......another cut and paste from a similar thread..apologies BUT

I think there was a point in time where I decided to not be a " recovering patient" anymore and focus on what I can do rather than what I can't. And it's very inspirational to read your posts!
So! I plan to tell myself that now I am fitter more stable and more mobile than I have ever been, all these doubts about managing are just figments of my imagination!.....
I think that positive thinking..combined with my exercise regime might be working for me...at least I'm hoping so!
 
I think that positive thinking..combined with my exercise regime might be working for me...at least I'm hoping so!


[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
Maeve, don't just hope, BELIEVE! I am a great advocate of positive thinking, and my life has been all the happier for it. Always remember to count your blessings as you go through life. We all have so many more of them than we realize until we truly take stock.

You're doing great----so keep up the good work. We care.
 
You have had an amazing recovery with all that length added to your leg!!
You are very fortunate,
Cardie
 
Time for an update!
I've seen lots of progress in the las week or so and it's a great feeling. Sick of the restrictions....mainly sleeping with the pillow between my legs so called the OS and spoke with his PA. good news!

She has now lifted all restrictions. Says the OS is super cautious as most of his patients don't seem to follow through with all the Physio etc and there is the chance the capsule around the joint will not strengthen but following the report they had from my Physio I get a gold star and am now restriction free....except now squatting down on my haunches.....as if I could!!
I'm feeling great! No cane, fit and ready to jet away in four weeks or so! It's a great feeling.
Mind you I am still very focussed on my exercise regime. The sessions with the Exercise Physiologist and my focus on doing three hydro sessions a week, plus my other classes have paid off! The glutes are working.
I had bought a fold up grabber, a collapsible cane and a very neat sock aid but I don't need them.
So, a bit of hard work and a positive attitude has worked for me.
Looking forward to continuing the progress. Fingers crossed.
Looking back to a month ago it's amazing how quickly improvements come as you pass the 3 month mark...that's my word of encouragement to fellow hippies who might be struggling...It DOES get better! :dancy:
 
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
SUPER UPDATE!!!! We try to tell you TIME & PATIENCE, but you insist on having to find out for yourself! I am so happy for you that everything is falling nicely into place and living a pain free life is yours now!

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side and now in the right forum
 
Hi@Peaches, Kim22, Elosarabrab, mondo_caine, Poppet,ByGosh, C Mac and all my other helpful hipppies whose tags I have missed out here.
As my progress continues, I get busy and don't check in on my hippy friends often enough. Hope you are all doing well.
I'm 16 weeks on now and feeling fit and fine. Good mobility but still working on my glutes....hydro exercises three times a week and two other more fun gym classes. We set off on our OS trip on the 20th and I'm feeling very confident that I will be able to handle it and enjoy it.
In town the other day to pick up our Indian visas, I was meeting a friend as well to see the Liberace movie...Behind the Candelabra. We were very quickly finished at the Indian Consul and I had time to spare before meeting my friend so I didn't hesitate to jump on a bus and head to the Museum of Sydney to see a new exhibition before walking down to the Opera Quays for lunch and the movie. It was a great feeling!
Hope all is well with you too!
 
Oh dear LeeApril26,
How ever did I forget to tag you when I posted just now. Really appreciate your helpful posts so hope you are going well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom