Guest viewing is limited

THR On the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LaylaHips
Thank you. Yes, teens are something else! And I like the idea of a thunder shawl. Sounds perfect! I am seeing my Dr today to do something temporary to bridge this gap between co-dependent and independence. I do believe it is completely a symptom of the hip stuff, as I've never experienced this before! Crazy! Take care and have a wonderful day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, little chickadee, you are approaching six weeks tomorrow and I'm wondering how you're doing? Are you still dealing with those nasty panic attacks? If you have time, I would love to hear an update and the progress you've made since surgery.

You're one of the sweetest members I've come across here on BS! With each of your posts, I can always feel your gentle and kind spirit. As always, you are in my prayers daily. Hugs and blessings!
 
@Cynthia777 I just love you from afar!❤️ I am doing pretty good. I've had three road trips in the last 3 weeks, 4-6 hour car travels. Not really smart, as each one has set me back 5 days of tons of pain. But...your kids grow up so fast and I didn't want to miss my son's soccer games for high school. Other than that, the PT says I'm doing fantastic. I'm still having to take a few pain pills daily, as I don't do well with pain. I'm quite the Princess and the Pea. however, I can walk around the house most of the time without my cane. I do use it to go anywhere because I get wobbley when I get up from the car. I started driving last week again, and that was such a freeing advancement. My anxiety is getting better, my Dr put me on Effexor with Xanax for bedtime. It's helping 100 percent. And I'm only taking 1/2 of one Xanax pill (was rx'd 2 pills at night). I'm hoping to cut that out within a week. I feel sad to have to take the long term anti-depressant for anxiety, but I realize that it's better than the attacks. My Dr says take it for 1 year, then go off. She thinks it's a situational problem with a possibility of a little ptsd. Weird! Anyway, I'm praying it continues to work without the Xanax. I'm not a fan of drugs. I hope you are feeling ok. You are so sweet to always be worried for everyone else. Thank you for your beautiful spirit, gentle soul, and always uplifting words. I wish I could Hug you a million times!
 
You are a dear and I'm sending you my love "from afar", right back at you! I'm so pleased to hear that the medication for anxiety is doing its job! Don't fret about being on the antidepressant for a year...it won't harm you in any way. You surely don't want you and your family to go through a year of dark and dreary days when you have so much to to be thankful for! You want to see the sun, not the clouds....:-)

It's very interesting that your doctor mentioned PTSD! I had just mentioned this very thing to another member on BS. I hadn't read that THR surgery could cause it, but yesterday I started pondering the sometimes difficult
post-op emotional aspect of recovery some experience, when it suddenly hit me that this journey is so intense, I'll bet it could cause PTSD. This is good information for members to know, as they can get a better grip on why they feel so bad emotionally and in turn, can seek professional help if necessary.

Your family is very fortunate that God saw it fit to place you as their wife and mother!
Hugs, hugs and more hugs sent to you today!!!
 
You know what? We had a sudden loss last year, my brother died suddenly, right on the heels of my sister receiving horrible news about her heart function. I couldn't sleep and started having horrible nightmares. The Dr put me on Ambien CR and said to take it every single night. And said it was PTSD, brother's passing brought back some bad memories of our childhood.. who would have ever thought??
I also take a medicine for anxiety and Dr has been so supportive and it's helped me so much.
The last nightmare? I jumped out of bed and was screaming and took a hard fall. Scared the poor husband out of his wits. so, yes, I take the meds and don't feel badly about it.
I hope that helps you feel okay with it. sorry for the rambling post.
You sound like you are doing well. The car trips sound brutal though. :(
 
Love your new picture.. very attractive and look like a very warm person.
 
@CricketHip Thank you for your raw honesty. It's helpful to hear I'm not alone. I have such fear of being in pain and couldn't seem to shake it off. I'm scared of never getting over it I guess. And I know the other hip is going to go bad also. The structure is similar, so it's just a matter of time. I'm sorry for your sudden loss of your brother. Breaks my heart for you. Amongst my surgery, my brother in law had an accident and is permanently brain damaged and we are trying to take care of his affairs we just got him moved into a long term care facility today, but it's been hard. Sad. Takes a toll on everyone. He doesn't even know his own kids, and he's single. So he only has us. Bad timing...but life goes on. I just guess my mind could only handle so much. I appreciate your kindness and so wish this sweet BS family lives close. I would love to reach out and hug you! I pray for your journey to be smooth. And I hope you are smarter than I and DONT travel if you don't have too! It's tough on new hips. Lol! I'm just too much of a care taker and giver to sit back resting. Sometimes a curse. Are you feeling ok today? You are also a lovely lady! And very kind as well! Get lots of rest and stay glued to the ice. Ice is truly my best friend, still! Especially as I sit at long soccer games for my son. I've just learned to go with the flow and if people ask, I make up funny stories. (No one believes I had a hip replacement at my age!)
 
@Cynthia777 and @CricketHip

Can I just say, that despite the distance, I feel God has brought us together. We were meant to know each other. I'm sure we would have a wonderful time if ever we were all together❤️
 
@45goingon90
Oh how right you are! I feel a connection that I know is God sent...I'm praying some day we will all be able to meet up somewhere and have the grandest of times! You never know, you never know. Hugs my friend :)

Btw...look at you! What a beautiful woman, both inside and out!!!!!!!
 
Hip is doing great. Have been walking without the cane for the last 4 days. I might use it 5% of the time IF I've been in the car a lot or toward the end of the day if I have far to walk. Still have a small limp, but I just slow down and take shorter strides. It's amazing how much strength comes from getting rid of the cane. I am also rocking stairs, the normal way, one foot in front of the other! Haven't done that in 9 months! I love it. I will be 7 weeks tomorrow. I'm loving my water PT and tomorrow we start double sessions with the addition of riding a recumbent bike. I'm so excited. Still very amazed by the amount of energy drain. It sure doesn't take much to wear out. Hope all the new Hippies are doing fantastic! Love and prayers to all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
AWESOME!!!! Look at how well you're doing at only 7 weeks! I'm so intrigued with this energy drain everyone experiences! I think it was @CricketHip who has shared some pretty funny stories about her energy drain (she's such a kick)....you may relate to some of them. So good to hear from you...I always miss when you're not around. :-)
 
The energy drain is bizarre @Cynthia777 You read about it, people tell you about it, but NOTHING prepares you for how weird it really is!! It's like, you feel really good one day, so you decide to go to the grocery store and have other ideas of things you'd like to accomplish....but by the time you go to the store, all you can think about is how the heck am I going to get all of this unloaded and put away?! Then those other things that were on your list of ambition, hahahahahaha,NOT! Time to go lie down. And for me, not sure if others feel this way, I get nauseous when I hit that exhausted state. As soon as I lie down and rest, it goes away. Very strange indeed. I'm STILL intrigued by it, and I'm living it! My Doc said it takes a year to get 100% energy level back. Hmmmm. Anyway- have a great day!
 
@45goingon90
Darn girl! When and if I end up with surgery I'm going to be in serious trouble because, except for the nausea, that happens to me already! I'll have to keep a blow up mattress in my car! Lol! I bet you were really encouraged when your doc said it will take a year to feel normal! Are you employed (I'm not sure, but did I read you are a stay at home mom)? You better start drinking those energy drinks right before heading out for errands. :-)
 
Well it's been awhile since I've checked in, so I thought I should update my recovery...My lovely new hip has been behaving very well. I spend 1 1/2 hours at PT 3 days a week. One hour in a therapy pool, 30 minutes on an underwater treadmill, which is heavenly!!!....then 1/2 hour in the gym, not as fun, bicycling and doing other strength exercises. A couple of weeks ago, my knee was swelling a bit, but the PT just thinks it's from the realignment after thr. I agree, because it's much better now. My newest complaint is that my IT band and medial glute muscle are REALLY tight! PT said its from doing too much. I push myself so far that I feel my operated leg get tired and find myself waddling at that point. She says I need to cut back some of my extra walking. It's hard because you think you are better and get excited. I just want to keep going, thinking it will be good for me.....hahaha. So now I'm having to go backward a little, but, it's all a process. When they tell us it will take a year to be normal, they really mean it. And, I'm surprised at how much energy drain has been creeping up again. Coincidence? I guess I just need to take a deep breath and remind myself that I'm only 11 weeks out. (Of 52) . To all of you that live somewhere warm, I am so jealous. This cold weather is not a friend of my new hip. We sat out Friday night in 40 foggy, cold weather for a high school football game. When it ended, I felt like I had to ratchet myself up! Lol! I can see I'm going to want to go to the sun this winter! Anyone want company?. Hope everyone is doing great. Blessings to all!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Bonesmarties! I have a question, if you have any help it would be greatly appreciated....has anyone experienced the piriformis pain and sciatica in the butt after thr? Mine just started bothering me at week 10 PO, and seems to get worse each day. My PT told me I needed to do less walking until it gets better, but that isn't helping either. I feel frusterated because I was healing so well until this happened, and now I feel as if I'm going backwards. Oh the joys of recovery....any ideas @AndyH99 or @Jacey, or .....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
has anyone experienced the piriformis pain and sciatica in the butt after thr?
Yes, post LTHR I had major sciatic and piriformis issues. Stop any exercising you are doing. Ice the piriformis area and gentle hamstring stretches help me. What other exercises/activities are you doing?
 
@Jaycey
I go to PT 3 days a week, do underwater treadmill for 30 min, water noodle press downs, single leg squats, toe raises, swim flutter kicks and some step ups(all in water.) Then in the gym I do 15 minutes of recumbent bike intervals(I think this is a culprit ??) and some bridges with ball between knees and band around lower thigh leg abductions. After PT, I usually try to walk a mile on our gravel road every day. The only thing the PT told me so far was to walk a little less. And it's still getting worse each day.
 
Well given the amount of activity you are doing I would suggest stopping everything until this settles. You are doing quite a bit and your body is telling you to slow down. Stop, ice and gentle stretches. Then only add activities gradually - one at a time. You have had major surgery - easy does it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom