Guest viewing is limited

THR On the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
@45goingon90 In all honesty that sounds perfectly normal from my perspective. I'm just at the end of week 3 and I'm still experiencing the same scenario, but, the main difference for me now is I've learnt to go with it, take the naps when needed as it's just your body telling you it needs it (plus a little help from the meds). Do the walking and PT when your able, follow the mantras and progress should follow. I'm sure @Jaycey or @Josephine will pop along shortly to reinforce this with their huge pool of experience.

Good luck and have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there,I almost bet some of it is the medications.You absolutely need good pain relief but it does have its side effect.You could possibly look at alternatives.You could do an Ibuprofin 800 and Percocet 1 time ,and the next time do 2 percocets.That is,if your Doc says Ibuprofin is ok for you.I did that with my knee replacement and felt I got better pain coverage.The care managers also really stress taking your medications as scheduled to stay on top of it .Good luck.It really does sound like your doing great.:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there
Congrats on your surgery....glad it went well.
Your body has gone through major surgery & it needs all the sleep you can get! I'm so pleased you've got the pain under control. Take it easy, it's your body telling you it needs rest. Go with it...it does get better..it takes time & a lots of patience...I know I thought....well I've had the surgery ...now I want to be 'up and at em ' But it's not quite like that as I soon found out! take care Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@45goingon90 - no, you're not crazy. The tiredness is probably partly due to pain meds and party due to exhaustion from the surgery. Also: low blood pressure. Mine was 90/60 for a few days after the operation. I couldn't stand in a line and wait for my turn for the blood sample taken in the early morning fasting - I had to sit down and still felt quite sick and light-headed. That was 8 days after my operation. Just sleep whenever you feel sleepy. You will get more agile and lively, especially when you are healing and are getting more mobile. Coffee helped me a lot - and eating properly - nice wholesome healthy food but also a treat from time to time, like chocolate and cake is ok. This is not the time to go on a slimming diet.
If you feel your pain meds are too strong - yes indeed, changing the pain meds might work. I didn't take any strong narcotics or similar. Iboprufen can be considered. I took Diclofenac (hope the spelling is correct), also known as Volataren. I'm not sure whether that's available in the US. I took only 1 pill in the morning and 1 in the evening together with another pill to protect the stomach, because pain meds can cause nausea. I had no pain using this regimen and in my third week, I managed with just one Diclofenac in the evening and was able to stop taking them in my fourth week. Good luck!
 
@45goingon90 you may notice that I merged your other thread on extreme fatigue into your existing recovery thread. We like to keep all your recovery story in one thread so that we can better advise you knowing your history.
I am five days out from Direct Anterior THR, and doing great. Really turned a big corner day 4. My biggest problem, I am so easily exhausted.
Well first off, you are only 5 days out of major surgery. Of course you are mega tired! Don't fight it - just nap as often as you can.

Can I suggest you reread the article both Jo and I posted for you Energy drain for THRs ? All this is a part of your recovery.
 
@45goingon90
I'm so happy to see you on "the other side"! You're 2/3's of the way through this ordeal...not much longer until you're dancing up a storm! I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier to welcome you in, but the wifi at the motel was slower than the slowest of snails! Thank you for your detailed "paying it forward" report...you have no idea how much it means to those of us pre-op Smarties! Blessings and prayers sent your way!
 
One week today, and I think I'm doing great. Pain is there, but so are the oxys. Lol! Ice is my bff and sleep, sleep and more sleep. Pretty exciting, right?! My only real concern is that I've started having more anxiety attacks in the evening. I thought that once I was post-surgery, that would all disappear. What is going on? I know that I feel trapped in a body that isn't working well, and that I'm having pain and taking pain meds, but I'm just so frustrated that it's causing so much anxiety. Has anyone else dealt with this? It's horrible! Worse than the pain by far! I'm hoping someone here has some great perspective and/or helpful advice. I feel like I'm going crazy, and it's really getting me down. The hip is recovering nicely, but the mind...
 
@45goingon90 The Post-Op anxiety I thought was/is worse than Pre-Op. In the posts to you from both Jaycey and Josephine is a link for Post-Op Blues. Read it, it helps. Most of my posts about anxiety and crying were done in the middle of the night and everyone who responded had similar experience. It does get better. It really does.
 
@45goingon90 it hits lots of us at the strangest times, personally the best couple of methods I've found are to either get outside to almost anywhere and think about the simple beauty that you can see around you or to sit with my partner and really let it all out with them close till the feeling subsides and you can focus on them and not the demon gnawing inside your head.

It will pass, it will get better as you do. My personal key is not to let it build up and take over, let it out, grind it down and put it back in its box

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@45goingon90
How is your anxiety today? I'm keeping you in my prayers...in fact I have you on my iPhone as a reminder, so I most definitely will not forget to pray for you twice a day! :-)
 
@45goingon90 Just checking to see if things are easing for you. Pain meds can do funny things to your moods as well. We are here for you!
 
Hi @45goingon90, I went to my pre-op class and the nurse advised us that we would be exhausted while healing. She said it was important to get up and move around for 10 minutes every hour, which she said would completely wear us out, and we would want to nap after a short amount of activity. I believe she said this is normal for several weeks. I had imagined reading books and catching up on netflix series, but I guess I will be sleeping instead!

So glad to hear that you are doing well. I hope you are able to figure out something to help with your anxiety. Rescue remedy flower essence might help, also some supplements-rhodiola? I'll be doing research on natural remedies because I am worried about the same thing. Take care, and glad you are on the mend!
 
@Cynthia777 You are so thoughtful! Thank you so much. I had a better night and feel the anxiety calming a tad. I will keep you, as well, in my prayers. As with all of the wonderful people on BS. It's a journey that everyone has some struggle, be it big or small. I pray for BS people daily!
@Jaycey and @LaylaHips I have ordered some KavaKava tea and soursop graviola tea. They are supposed to be great for anxiety. I'll let you know how they work. I have taken Lorazapam the last two nights and it seems to really help. I feel as I get more Mobile and less pain that I will lose this anxiety. I have a hard time being so laid up. My mind goes into overdrive and "what if" panic mode! Really working on mentally talking myself down with positive affirmations. I cut the lorazapam in half last night and did fine, so, once I get my teas in the mail, I think they will provide great help so I can get off the other. As far as pain, I have also really cut back on those Oxys as well, down to 1 5mg tab every six hours. Occasional I have to take two, but not often. Trying to do my walking and chair time a little more often and less time to stay away from pain. All in all, I'm getting there. thank you all for your support. It really does mean so much!
 
@45goingon90 Just take one day at a time. If that's too much, one hour or one minute at a time. You are through the worst part. Now you need to get to know that new hip and start to enjoy more and more mobility. Things will get easier - patience and the slow and steady approach is prescribed.
 
Did/ or does anyone else have trouble sitting in chairs? It seem to cause terrible ache and nerve pain in the back outside of thigh. I'm only 9 days post op, and wondering how long before that gets better. Thanks in advance.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@4G I also had some anxiety my first few nights home after leaving the hospital. I was fine during the day, but at night I felt more vulnerable and loss of control. I did take lorazepam at night and did cut the tablets in half also. It helped and as I became more used to being laid up I stopped needing them.
 
Did/ or does anyone else have trouble sitting in chairs?
Yes, sitting for any length of time can be challenging for a new hippie. Try a pillow. This will ease with time. Still early days for you!
 
@45goingon90 Hi, in my experience the pains and sensations you are talking about are perfectly normal. I'm just approaching 4wks post-op and I still get them on occasion. They do ease off (and also change) as things heal.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom