THR On recovery journey

Thanks for the update @cheermom , I am following your journey so I hope you keep us updated right through to six months or a year or so --even if it seems like a boring update to you, logging on every few weeks to simply say "all is well", but it is the longer term outcome that many of us will be interesting in hearing about.
 
Wow, @cheermom, that's so great that you've done so fabulously and are able to resume so many activities that most of us (well, me for one!) feel are still a bit out of reach. By the end of my fourth week, just finished, I am on no pain meds and able to walk without assistive devices, and do most household chores. No PT or real exercise except walking yet (per doctor's orders) and I'm not driving yet--waiting until 6 weeks just to be sure as it was my right hip. But, feeling pretty good except for energy drain by day's end and occasional aching in my hips (both--left isn't far behind in terms of arthritic damage). I am most impressed at your progress, and hope it continues. I was in pretty good shape before surgery, but I'm older than you are, so maybe that's why my progress might take a little while longer. Anyway, keep up the good work and keep posting--we all LOVE to read the inspiring early success stories!
 
Cleared to return to work full time
Cleared to drive
Walking, mostly independently, carry cane for uneven surfaces
No pain meds needed
No brain fog (no narcotics needed)
Working from home 6 hours a day with no problems
95% return to normal activities such as cleaning house, running errands, making dinner

Great job and congrats!
 
I COMPLETELY forgot to ask my OS about the robotic method when I was there last Monday. I got sidelined by the news of lack of healing of the fracture. Dagnabitall. We are going to continue to with the anterior method one week from today on my right side and I am crossing everything possible that this side goes book perfect!! I have decided that since my body does seem to be on the slow side (25% healing of the fracture that is now almost 6 months old), I will BE STILL and will watch the new Hallmark movies while allowing both sides to heal for several weeks, maybe even a month. I'll be doing the necessary walking in the beginning then will slowly add more walking as I feel up to it. I didn't cause the fracture the first time around but my going to PT and doing their recommended exercises 3x a day definitely interfered with any union of that femur (obvious now when I look back on how bad my limp progressed from week 4 on). We have a new rec center with a great aquatic center that is due to open February 2019 so I'm going to aim for doing my rehab there, in the water (will hopefully graduate to my full active lifestyle once again after that)!

I wish you continued success @cheermom as you go! We are 80 degrees here in Denver today but tomorrow the bottom is dropping out and we are expecting up to 6" of that white stuff. I wear shorts year around living here but I suppose I will don some long pants with my sturdy waterproof shoes/boots!!
 
How are you doing @cheermom ? Hope everything is okay.
Thanks! Logged in to unsubscribe to the mailing list as I got an email and saw this. Everything going extremely well. I highly recommend the Mako approach. Small scar, no pain, precision cuts and precision fit of the prosthesis is contributing to being at 95% 3 weeks post op. PT ensured my muscles have corrected "muscle memory" for the new joint. Have been working, running errands, and back to normal life - doing things I haven't done for a year, for a week now. Enjoying my daughter's cheer competition as hoped today. So nice to have my energy back and being pain free for the first time in several years.

Wishing everyone a speedy and pain free recovery!
 
3 weeks 3 days into recovery. Was able to spend several hours at my daughter's cheer competition over the weekend as hoped for with no ill effects. Also, went for a 3 mile hike yesterday. Glad I didn't lower the bar of expectations. It has always been my philosophy that you set the bar high, but if you don't reach it, that is fine because you at least tried.

Continuing rehab with my PT, supervised by my OS. Loving her rehab plan and her philosophy. She is very adamant on listening to your body about any real pain like sharp, knife like stabbing pain. You must immediately stop if you feel anything like that. But she also expects you to work your other muscles hard like you are in a gym, leaving with that achy, sore muscle pain. As she says, that is good pain. She always says you will never get your body back in balance if you don't retrain all those muscles that were used improperly while your hip was not functioning. They don't relearn themselves. You need new muscle memory to achieve a functioning gait and that involves not only the hip, but the core, other hip, leg, back, shoulders, just about all your muscles.

Got some sad news over the weekend too. A dear friend lost her MIL (early 60's) from a THR done around the same time as myself. Unfortunately, she never made it to 3 weeks post op. Getting up for a trip to the bathroom took her life from an embolism.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that is awful! Your poor friend. Just shows one can never take anything for granted. :-(
 
Glad I didn't lower the bar of expectations. It has always been my philosophy that you set the bar high, but if you don't reach it, that is fine because you at least tried.

This really tickles my funny bone because I just finished posting on my own thread about how low I set the bar-- so very low that I could exceed my own expectations by a month! Yay--I made it!! What a brilliant plan, guarantees success :) And I haven't been trying. ...and how would one try to rest harder anyway? Oh I'm just being perverse with my joking around. But anyway, despite my flaccid and placid approach to convalescence, I have no complaints at this point. Life is pretty normal. Glad to hear things are going so well for you @cheermom
 
A dear friend lost her MIL (early 60's) from a THR done around the same time as myself. Unfortunately, she never made it to 3 weeks post op. Getting up for a trip to the bathroom took her life from an embolism.

So sorry to hear this about your friend. How devastating for the whole family.
 
3 weeks 6 days -
Had a great morning in PT yesterday. Worked abductors, adductors (both sides,) glutes and spent some time on the leg machines. Followed by my favorite part of PT - a deep tissue massage on the leg and the scar. She again commented on how tiny the scar is compared to others she sees daily. Thanks Stryker Mako!

Pleasantly sore this morning. I have always loved that feeling of muscle soreness after a good workout. And I can always see immediate results when long underused muscles are reawakened. My limp has been steadily improving as my muscles wake up after a 5 year nap and strengthen to allow a normal gait once again.

Since some have been interested in the difference between the robotic assisted surgery and the normal surgery - the scar is a little less than 3" long. It is the main reason I have been told that I did not have swelling or a need to ice as the need to cut through major tissue was kept to a very minimum. Also why I am rehabbing so easily, damage to surrounding tissue was kept to a minimum.
 
Three inches?!! Wow, that is tiny! My scar is about 4" but it seems HUGE to me! But nice that you didn't get any swelling, I got some but it only lasted less than a week with icing. Kept expecting bruises but didn't get those--just a residual numbness on the outside of my thigh which should, I've been told, mostly fade with time. If that is the worst of it, I'll be quite pleased with my results.
 
Wow! Mine is around 12 inches! And I am sitting on some of it! Getting better now but still bothersome from time to time. I love the massaging around the scar as it does release a lot of tightness around the muscles...
 
I imagine this system is used variably by different surgeons. My Mako scar is around 5 1/2 inches.
Interestingly I know my surgeon in the UK had an American from Stryker in the op theatre that day. It was amusing to listen in on their conversation above the sawing and hammering.
 
Happy Veteran's Day All!! Thank you to all that served our country!

Just finished PT, no better feeling than that muscle exhaustion that comes from a good work out. Taking advantage of the day off and now home listening to the Holly channel on SiriusXM, cleaning house and starting to haul the Christmas decorations from the basement. Love the Holiday season. After a bit, it will be time to rest and since nobody else is home, I can sneak in a Hallmark movie.

Again, thanks to any and all veterans on this board for your service and sacrifice. If it was not for you fighting for our freedom, I wouldn't be happily enjoying your day getting a head start on my favorite time of the year.
 
@Apricot, yikes, you are far braver than I being awake to hear the hammering and yammering. I was nervous enough about the spinal rather than general, thinking I may wake up. Luckily the anesthesiologist reassured me she was giving me good drugs to keep me asleep.
 
Actually it was quite fun in an odd way. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the team. Fortunately the op area is shielded from sight although you can look around in other directions.
 
Hello All

Hope all your recoveries are going well. Mine has now become mundane at 5 weeks post-op.

Was cleared by OS to get out from sitting at my desk all the time, so met with my director about plans for rentering the field. Another step towards normality.

Still working with my PT several times a week and will continue. As I am on this board longer and read other stories of PT, I can understand why some have quit. I would not tolerate being on the table just doing hip related exercises like clam shells and bridges. I have yet to do table exercises or even a single hip exercise. I work hard and experience the "good" pain as my PT calls it of muscle soreness, but it is never at the hip.

As I mentioned previously, my PT and the center I go to are all sports rehab specialists that work directly and with our Surgeons. Their main population is getting olympic and world class athletes back running, swimming, on their bikes and skis. And some of us old fat people in between :) Their bodies are already in prime shape, so my PT has her work cut out whipping my whole body into a functionig, working together group of muscles. I think they like the challenge.

My rehab focuses on fixing all those muscles in the other parts of the body that were reappropriated to help support the damaged hip for years. We focus a ton on core and strengthening my entire weaker left side.

For instance, this week we worked on balance each session. In the gym they have a long white line down he center. I had to carry a weighted pole (think tight rope walker) while walking the line. You had to stay focused on balancing the pole, and this was accomplished by balanced walking. It was hard, but not on the hip.

The only time I am on the table is the best motivator to keep going, the deep tissue and scar massage.

I did do PT with a useless person when a different surgeon was trying to figure out whether it was a muscle injury or OA as xrays were not yet definitivs. He did have me laying on a bed doing clam shells while simultaneously working on a young girl's ankle on the next table. The pain was increasing. That PT and idiot surgeon (long story) lasted 4 weeks. It really is the quality of the surgeon and health care team.

We were vacationing in Vail a few years ago and I made an appt with the Steadman clinic. Got my diagnosis and recommendations for a healthcare team back home who were also part of the US Ski Team. What a difference from the previous idiot.

I am grateful for the whole body approach and know I wouldn't be recovering at the same pace without it. I love celebrating the small things like being able to almost sprint up stairs again, getting up from the floor without a massive effort, and being able to get up from lower sitting positions like low chairs and toilets with no having to grab something. Most of that was from a weak core.

Been logging approximately 2 -3 miles a day, have returned to 95% of normal daily activities except for my one lasting restriction of not lifting more than 25lbs. Working on getting to the 4 miles and my 10,000 steps by 8 weeks.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom