THR On recovery journey

@cheermom, thanks so much for that detailed explanation of your pt. I definitely assumed you were doing a bunch of hip exercises ... Nice detail--and nice thinking from the pt and the surgeon to focus on the whole body.

Very informative. Thanks.

Sounds very postural pilates even which is good. Well worth describing.
So can you describe your technique for getting up and onto the floor. Something I have yet to try.

Sounds good @cheermom , what an amazing recovery. I'm about 4 months and also doing well, was running along at 95%, except after I did something stupid and hurt my back. But the hips are great.
Happy healing.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

So thankful that on my 6 week anniversary I can host our family get together. Giving my new hip a workout this week. Between PT, shopping, cleaning, and now cooking and hosting for 18, I am testing the limits of my endurance. So far, so good. I am taking small breaks all day and it did help that we had the week off from work, so was able to do some prep and cleaning earlier in the week.

PT has been brutal this week, no more babying the hip, lol. More core and balance work. I was on a balance board playing catch with a weighted ball. Really worked that core to stay on that balance board. Bike work, leg presses on the machine, and weighted squats and some step work rounded out the sessions. But the hip always feels so good after the workout, a little sore, but definitely more stable. I find when I miss my exercises for a day or two, my hip feels way more wobbly.

I haven't felt this good in years. I have officially joined the "why did I wait so long" club.

Everyone (in the US,) have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Safe travels to all who are visiting relatives and/or friends.

Well done you. Enjoy the Thanksgiving celebrations.

Can you describe the method you are using to get on and off the floor @cheermom. I am desperate to learn this skill.

I have been using a half kneel position with the surgical knee on the floor and the good knee up. I just lift myself from my good leg. My personal goal has to get back to standing from a sit without hands, so my PT has been working with me on strengthening the muscle groups needed to do that.

Do you use a stick or anything to counterbalance the bad leg. Need to try this!!

I am going to follow you too cheermom as intrigued to see how it all goes for you. 13 days in and doing a few activities of daily living and walked outside for 40mins today slowly
Am in awe ...

@cheermom
I think you have had an amazing recovery! You are right, what works for 1 does not work for all. I believe you hit the nail on the head with your statement about finding the right physical therapist. I wish you the best of luck and hope to be where you are in 3 1/2 more weeks!

Strange, I must not have hit send when I made my 7 week post since it has disappeared. So, I will try again...

Thursday was my 7 week post-op. I am at 99% recovery. Still waiting for the lifting restriction and the 3-4 mile/day walking restriction to be lifted then I will be at 100%. I am able to do anything and everything I did before surgery, actually more, without any energy drain or soreness. I have been back to work for a month, a job that entails being out in the community all day with adults with disabilities, shop (went to the limit of my 4 miles on black Friday,) do errands, hike, clean, cook, hosted 12 for Thanksgiving, spent 12 hours at a cheer competition without issue. I am blessed that I had an uneventful recovery without complications. So glad I didn't have to stay out of work till 12 weeks and then do a "phased" return as recommended in the first posts here. Totally unnecessary on my part. The sad part is that after 7 weeks of intense 3/week PT, my absolutely wonderful physical therapist has released me, saying I am good to go. Luckily she is setting me up with a plan that I can maintain my new body with a personal trainer.

I attribute my quick recovery to a core and stability focused rehab through my PT**. I started this thread by borrowing a mantra from my daughter's cheer team of "Train Insane Or Stay The Same." Of course, my insane was not quite as insane as hers since it was, after all, major surgery. But as I was told, there is no complaining that something won't work if you are not willing to put in the work to fix it. Following the PT's plan that there is good pain and bad paid, with bad pain being anything that is stabbing, knife-like and your body trying to tell you not to do something absolutely to be avoided pain, and good pain being that burn, that achy muscle feeling you get from working your muscles, from building stronger muscle fibers, seems to have worked beautifully for me. The good pain was the the work needed to rehab all those muscles that weren't used or were used incorrectly for the past few years in my case. The Train Insane motto seemed to have worked perfectly for my body.

The key is finding the right PT. Reading posts on here, some of the PTs seem rather terrible. I can gladly say that my PT has never had me do a clamshell or any of the other exercises on the non-recommended list on this forum. Except for standing leg lifts or the marching in place. She pretty much left the hip alone. By focusing on the core muscles, balance and stamina, the PT has helped me build a strong framework to cradle that prosthesis so it can heal and limit the possibility of injury. Since my muscle memory of how to walk was so off, we worked on proper posture and walking and created new, correct muscle memory.

Since I am pretty much completely back to normal, I probably won't have any more updates as there won't be anything to update, knock on wood. Best wishes to all in their recoveries.

**This plan of action worked for me and may not be the best or right plan for anyone else. I would certainly never, ever recommend embarking on a strong rehab plan without the blessing of your OS. I had an uneventful, complication free surgery so was able to embark on a strong plan of rehab. I was followed closely by my PT and my OS so that no injury occurred. Since everyone heals differently, there is no right or wrong in the way everyone heals.

Last edited:
I'm glad is working out for you @cheermom. I have to admit I thought you were headed for very deep doodoo with your (relatively) aggressive approach ; you took a route that I would never ever risk. I took the polar opposite approach, and rested as hard as I could while convalescing; the more reps someone else did, the harder I napped. :) (okay, that's tongue-in-cheek). However it worked out for me, and I was able to be back swing dancing at week 14. I never gave a toss about how quickly I got off the walker or cane or whatever; I was looking at where I would be months down the line, and decided on what I considered the safest route. I have to say I am pleased with how my recovery has been going. It sounds like things have worked out for you so far too. Hope you keep weighing in with updates. take care.

@An54, so glad you also had a great recovery! So exciting to see you post about being back to dancing. Really, 7 weeks or 14 weeks, it is is not a huge difference in the long run. I am just one of those A type anal people that needs to be moving and I needed to be back at work. My OS only approved 6 weeks of time off, so I had to rehab as much as I could in that short time.

I still think with me, working my core on balance boards and focusing on every muscle except for direct hip muscles was the key to not getting in trouble. I can see the damage someone could do to themselves if they did 5 reps of 15 clam shells 7x per week.

I hope to read more about your dancing. While I have 2 left feet and the sense of rhythm of a pole and could never make it around a dance floor without tripping over my own feet, I have always admired the beauty and the work it takes to dance.

Happy Thursday
In reading your thread I'm feeling blessed. I also had an uneventful surgery without any complications which I'm very thankful and grateful for. I felt 99% recovered at 4 weeks, myself. However, I knew that was impossible since there were nerves to regenerate and soft tissue to heal, along with all else internal that was disturbed. I never had any restrictions and I experienced posterior approach. I took 4 Oxy, then it was Extra Strength Tylenol for a couple weeks. I was never a napper pre-op and hoped I would be in recovery. Nuh uh, no such luck :bawl:I guess I attribute it to the fact that I slept soundly at night from the beginning with the exception of a bathroom break, midway through the night and then I was back out again, sound asleep.

Thankfully I'm retired so the return to work was not an issue for me and I'm happy I don't have to sit through anything as mundane as cheer camp, my sympathies, lol :heehee: Although when it's our child it doesn't feel as humdrum. I speak from experience. It is remarkable when you think back to the very early days how we're able to bounce back as quickly as we do from a major surgery. Cooking, cleaning and maintaining the household, running necessary errands etc. Members are often surprised by the progress from one week to the next.

I feel fortunate that I didn't have to go through the intense "train insane" therapy you pushed through. I had the luxury of choice and got enough out of three PT sessions to cancel the remaining nine and move forward on my own with the basics, of which was mainly walking. I was advised to trust and use my body as my guide, which I did. If something felt as though it was too much, I'd stop and try again at a later date. It worked well for me.

Unlike you, I never felt I had to put in a lot of work to "fix it" as my body naturally went into a state of repair from the second it was traumatized. I didn't put myself through burning or aching pain as I'm not a "feel the burn" believer / follower. Totally unnecessary for healing. It's great for you that your protocol worked. Again, thankfully I didn't have to put myself through the rigors that you did and still achieved the same result relatively quickly. Your recovery is pretty average and it's interesting to have that knowledge given your procedure which is very interesting to me.

I find it enlightening to read the many stories of recoveries BoneSmart has to offer. A great number move forward happily engaging in life once again because they're able. Some stay in support of others and some suffer through set-backs from minor to serious and gain support and encouragement through the commaraderie found here. We stand together through the common bond of joint replacement, none better than the other, just some more fortunate in their outcome.

Many don't follow a Phased Return to work. You're most certainly not unique in finding it unnecessary. It's recommended as a guideline for those fortunate enough to be able to take the time for rest and healing after this major surgery.

It sounds as though you're moving on...mentioning you don't feel the need for further updates, so I want to wish you well moving forward. Have a happy holiday season and a wonderful 2019 enjoying life once again with your new hip.
@cheermom

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom