TKR Ollie's Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ollie I like chili and corn bread, Cajun red beans and rice, chicken pot pie. All of which contain lots of calories and carbs that I shouldn't have. Right now my husband and daughter are cooking and everything is quick and easy foods as neither of them like to cook. My daughter loves to bake but not cook meals. I want a personal chef like @tiredwife has but then I would just gain weight :sad:
 
@tiredwife @Minnie's knees @marmora I think life would be easier and much more enjoyable if I had a whole crew to cook, clean, and do all the household repair. But that is just me. So for now I will think healthy thoughts, keep scrimping and saving for retirement, and dream of pumpkin pie, runza, red beans and rice, and chocolate cake. Just that much - and rehab - keeps me busy!!!!!
 
@Ollie and cocoa with Irish Cream, and bacon wrapped steak! Our retirement may be put off a little longer because we bought the truck and I want everything paid off before we retire. Thankfully hubby will be back to work soon so I can start doubling up on payments.
 
@tiredwife @marmora OK, you two. . . It's more than enough to think about the food. . . But now you add in Bailey's in cocoa or coffee. . . :roseshwr: In the 'spirit', I'll also have to recommend Peppermint Kahlua in cocoa or coffee or over ice mixed like a White Russian. Then again, I LOVE what we call 'Irish Coffee' if the whisky or bourbon is good and one of my great Aunts (actually my Grandpa's cousin) started to offer me brandy in my coffee once I turned 16 - no matter what time of day I stopped in to visit. :cheers: She thought she was sneaking something over on my folks, but they knew (all the aunts and uncles knew) . .'cause all of the cousins got the same special beverage at 16!! She was a pistol!!
 
@tiredwife @Minnie's knees

We buy a bottle of a Baileys each Christmas and usually serve it over ice.
Never thought adding it to hot chocolate or coffee. Also lovely to make a a Baileys Cheese Cake.

And always finish Christmas dinner with an Irish Coffee made with Irish whiskey !

Cathie
 
@Ollie well,.......you have to have an after dinner drink......:shrug: Bet you thought you were really grown getting to drink at 16!
 
@marmora.....do you have access to sweet potatoes??? Sweet potato pie is every bit as good (some say even better) than pumpkin pie. It looks pretty much the same too.

If you guys enjoy cooking, you might have fun with an old thread we have in the Social Room. It has a lot of recipes from members. At one time we were going to have a recipe and cooking section here on BoneSmart, but we had to abandon the idea. We got way too busy with the important job of knees and hips. But our original recipe threads remain for those who want to wade through them.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/cooking-and-recipe-forum.11569/
 
@Jamie

Love sweet potatoes have have them baked with our dinner a few times each week.
Will a Google Sweet Potato Pie recipes - thanks!

@tiredwife- the legal age to drink in a Ireland is 18 years.

Cathie
 
@marmora Love Irish Coffee on a cold winter night. . . Jameson's whiskey is a personal favorite!! Also have a fondness for Scotch whiskey. Did some tasting in Edinburgh several years ago. Got lucky and sampled Stagshead from a small distillery. It had a lovely a hint of honey and was tasty, but my big favorite was the beautiful bottle of 14yr old Cadenhead's we brought back.

By the way - a set of my great grand parents came from County Waterford, sailed from Dungarvan in 1837. Michael Heffron and Margaret Fitzgerald. Gonna get there someday!!
 
@marmora It is 21 here.
@Ollie hubby is a bourbon man. Booker's being his favorite. Sometimes we have tastings when we go camping. Most of our friends prefer 4 roses single barrel. Me I like sweet wine and my cocoa with Irish cream.
 
@Ollie well,.......you have to have an after dinner drink......:shrug: Bet you thought you were really grown getting to drink at 16!

@tiredwife Yes, I did!! But actually. . . It was a Christmas tradition for everyone to get a sip of cherry Heering, a potent cherry cordial that my Grandpa's Aunt Marie sent him from Denmark every year. We'd get our sip after dinner on either Christmas Eve or Day, whichever we were celebrating. And I mean a tiny sip, and I mean everybody!! All of us little cousins felt a bit naughty!! :wink: To this day - the idea of cherry Heering makes me shudder - it is sort of cough syrupy. But at the time. . . :cool:
 
@tiredwife @marmora

Gotta love the bourbon, too!! Tatoosh from Washington State is a really nice bourbon, should you ever get a chance to try it.
And I like the idea of cheesecake with Bailey's!! Of course just about any cheesecake would be good!
 
@tiredwife @marmora @Minnie's knees I survived Halloween quite well. Only had two kids come - Kim's twin niece and nephew! A mermaid and a transformer!
Lately I've been quite hobbled up by the cold and damp - old knee hates it, feels like glass shards in there. New knee is stiff but not terribly painful. Have been using the cane quite a bit. In the spirit of getting in shape and continuing to rehab, I've gone to do water walking at the YMCA a couple times and over did it the first time! Man, I was so stiff and sore!! Took a week of gentleness and ice/elevation to get back to "normal". I Am Trying to remember that each evening -I am officially 5 months post op and wish all was just a few ticks better. :bored:
But gentle does it!!

Am at a leadership retreat this weekend - learning about special education law. My district is working through some issues regarding special ed and making accommodations. This should be quite informative. But I'd rather be home sleeping in, resting my knee etc. I am not looking forward to sitting . . . Luckily there will be LOTS OS chances to move and stretch!

Time to go meet the troop for dinner! Best thoughts to you all!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom