TKR Ollie's Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Ollie's Adventure
@Ollie, and it's really paying off for you. What a great report on how things are going for you!

Keep ups the good work and keep us posted. We care.
 
@Ollie Good Morning! Sounds like you are doing really well! Very glad for you. This knee would have been even easier than the first knee, but he overdid it in the hospital and came home to company, so it is just a little tough getting the pain under control. He is at a 4 with spikes when he does things, was at a 5 and 6 the last day in the hospital and first few days at home. We are slowly reigning it in. The home PT said this knee looks a lot better than the first one did at this point. His ROM is a lot better with this one. The thigh swells on this one, the first one it was just the knee swelling. He hasn't lifted it again since he overdid it in the hospital because that hurts him too much now, I think he did a number on his thigh muscle doing that in the hospital. Once we get the pain under control this one will zoom past the first. Enjoy your kraut! Our kitties aren't allowed in the bedroom, I'm allergic and have to have a safe zone. We often find hair ties under the door. Lilbit steals them from us and they are all over the house. We have the lever door handles and Lilbit is slowly figuring out how to open them, thankful she can't push the handle down and push the door open at the same time. You have a great day!
 
@Ollie How are you doing today? I'm about ready for bed! It's been a long week! Hope you have pleasant dreams and a restful sleep!
 
A good day. Went to the therapy pool at lunch time, just to get a bit of flipper walking in the warm water. It is open over lunch time M W T F for patients and residents to use. About 6-8 show up regularly. I try to go at least once a week on a day I don't go to PT. Am going to try and keep it up through the winter. Had my brats and kraut. Such a treat!!!

How are you and hubby today? Pain getting mellowed? You getting your rest? Sleep well, my friend!!
 
@Ollie Sounds like a good day! We had the nurse stop by yesterday and she called OS for us, and he also had PT, who is very gentle and kept saying how much better this knee is than the first knee (except the pain). They changed hubby to a 12 hour oxycodin. He slept better (still in bed) pain stayed at 4 and 5. No huge spikes, maybe by later today we will get the pain below a 3. OS gave him 5 days worth. It was nice not having to wake up every 4 hours for his meds, so I got some sleep. Glad you enjoyed your brats and kraut! Have a great day!
 
@tiredwife I have dropped the ball a bit with my posts!! School is about to start and I've been busy and tired so haven't even lurked through the forum much. :hissy: My knee is doing very well and I am being so careful! I have to put up posters on my classroom walls, but am going to have my students do the climbing and monkeying around work!! Will be in my room today for a bit just to be sure things are ready for kids on Wednesday. Tomorrow is full of meetings and all that starting up business. :sigh:

Still some discomfort and stiffness still and my ROM is around 125 after I stretch and warm it up in the pool. Will be focusing on getting my daily ROM to stay up there! I still ice at the end of the day or after being on my feet for a while. Am also using warmth to loosen the tight spots and to soothe my other knee!

Am down to PT once a week now and will be completely done at the end of September. After that I'll be doing pool work on my own as well as increasing my recumbent bike work. My non-surgical knee has been terribly unhappy this past month. As I've been increasingly more mobile, my right knee has had to work harder. Now my surgical knee/leg is getting stronger and I am hoping my right knee with calm the heck down!! :heehee: I am beginning to shift my cane to the other hand already!

Hope all is well with you and Hubby. I saw that his pain has much decreased. :yes!: Gonna be dancing soon!!

I am off to school - promise I will do better with my posts!! :yes:
 
@Ollie Good Morning! Good to hear from you again! I understand how busy you are, just wanted to make sure you were okay! Hubby made Swedish meatballs last night - yummy!
125 ROM is good! It is enough to do anything you need to do! I think hubby's 1st knee only got to 127, but it hasn't been measured in a long time. He starts outpatient PT Tuesday for knee 2 and I will have them measure both legs then.
Don't overdo it at work. Before hubby had knee #2 done it was really starting to act up and the new knee #1 had to become the strong knee.
 
@tiredwife I am doing pretty good!! Work has me tired, but not painful. Am working through my new schedule, finding time to elevate and ice. Today I am in some compression socks to help with the edema in my surgical calf and ankle by the end of the day, and just finished icing at my desk. I really miss getting to ice for 30-45 minutes or more at a stretch!! :censored:
And am having to be more self sufficient than I am currently used to!! :snork: Have had some fleeting emotional and whine filled moments, and when tired I am pretty grumpy - sensitive sort of grumpy. I know I am not healed yet and that is frustrating, and as good as things are going, I wish they were better. And from this forum I've learned that is quite a normal and common feeling!!
On the upside, I got corn on the cob from my Auntie and it is so good!! Last night I made pesto chicken with corn on the cob and my Auntie's green beans with bacon. Oh - and a co-worker just gifted me some beautiful tomatoes.

So - all in all - I am feeling pretty good and am well fed!!

I've been keeping track of you and Hubby - even if I'm not posting much. So good to hear that knees are healing well and feeling good. Best to you both!!
 
@Ollie Glad you are finding some time to elevate and ice. It is a long road. Love green beans with bacon and a little bit of green onion in them! Yum. The only edibles I grew this year, is my sage and mint (can't kill the stuff), some lemon balm, citron thyme, little bitty peaches (mostly pits) on our tree, and a couple of little green peppers. Outside plants have suffered a lot of neglect this summer.
Hubby is doing pretty good, making some Hormel Chili right now, neither of us felt like cooking.
Take care of yourself.
 
@Ollie

Good Morning,

Just catching up on your thread. You must be starting your third or so week back at school.
September is a very busy time for teachers and hope that you are able to ice in the staff room at break time.

Went to lunch on Monday with another retired teacher friend and we both sat back and laughed over teaching memories.

Take care and mind yourself,
Cathie
 
Hi Ollie! How are you and Kim doing? How are your kitties? Hope you are taking good care of your knee!
 
@tiredwife @kneeper @marmora
The back to school schedule has me hopping!! Lots to do but am being as careful as I work through the day. I can usually get a good icing done at lunch time, if not before. Am tired at the end of the day, for sure!! :yawn:

The kitties are good. They haven't been terrorizing the house much lately, but leave a cardboard box within paw range, and they'll find a way to chew it up!! It is getting a bit cooler at night, sort of, and they are wanting to have lap time . . . but two people and four cats causes some of the patterns to fill up!! Kim had 3 the other night vying for her lap and I just had one. But then I had an ice pack that none of them want to lay on!!!:kitty:

Kim is happy that I am pretty much back to my old self - and chores!! Not very happy to do the icky jobs that I am in charge of . . . :heehee:

Gotta get to getting busy . . . meeting this afternoon and I have to run it. yippee.:hissy:
 
@Ollie It is the same with us, 2 laps and four cats. Sometimes we both have two, sometimes one of us has 3 and the other has one. Sometimes neither one of us have any! We keep their treats down in the TV room. We have one of those recliner things with the cup holder/storage thing in the middle. The all have their own place they like to stand for their treats. The boys stand on the footrest either side of my feet. Lilbit likes her's in the window ceil behind my head, and Emily likes to sit were the cup holder is and eat her's off the padded part between the seats. I will tell them to get in their spots and that is where they go!
[Bonesmart.org] Ollie's Adventure

LOL let me quess - you get to clean the litter pans!? That is my job too!:heehee:
 
@tiredwife Yes. I am the litter box maintenance crew!! That was the first chore I was asked to resume. . . Hrumph. :censored:

Wow - Your cats sound quite a bit like ours!! They tend to joust over the best napping spots, but when it comes to food or treats, they sort of go to their bowls and wait. . . Sort of patiently!!

Every morning, Casey will sit by his bowl and whine and chirp, Finn will throw himself down on the floor as if he is weak from hunger, Bailey jumps up on the counter and cries, and Jasper will stalk around impatiently.
THEN. . . after they see food in their bowls, the babies Finn and Bailey run into the dining room and sit so pretty, waiting for a couple treats. Once they get two treats each, they run back and finish breakfast. Every morning.

Had a meeting after school so I am feeling extra tired and my knee is heavy and felt full by the end of my day. Came home and tied on the ice!! The ice is heavenly, but I am so busy that I just don't get a chance most days to ice, elevate and rest it like I want. Not a lot of pain, just the discomfort. I'd love to take a week off, go to the pool each day, and just rest my knee. Oh well! I am going to rehab tomorrow, though. Will be nice to soak in the pool!

We will be driving three hours to Seattle Friday afternoon for a Saturday AM meeting. We are going to stay over Saturday night, too. Sort of a work related weekend away. Kitties will be on kibble rations!!
 
@Ollie Yep, cats are creatures of habit. We let ours free range (big feeder) for their food.
Did I tell you that my son and his wife live in University Place in Washington?
It is good that you get to use the pool in rehab. Steve has the regular type PT. I think the pool is less stressful to the joints. Have a great afternoon!
 
@tiredwife You did mention your son living in University Place!! Sort of a small world, isn't it?

A number of years ago Kim and I were traveling in Austria. We were staying in Salzburg (think Sound of Music) and as we were checking in to our hotel, the Desk Clerk commented on our being from Washington State, that her fiancé was from there. Come to find out, her fiancé grew up near where we live. AND she had just gotten home from a trip to meet his family and when she mentioned his two cousins, both Kim and I burst out laughing - her fiancé's cousins were our ex-students. We'd both taught them!! It is funny how often those kind of things happen!

The pool is great. I am so glad that my OS supports that treatment. I am home, icing and elevating before my PT. It is a treat to get a bit of extra time to rest and relax!! My baby kitties are wrestling on the couch - after napping for a while. They are so much fun, even when they are being rowdy and terrorizing each other and me!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom