TKR Ollie's Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in!! Been busy posting to other threads so thought I'd get me updated. First - not about me, but about some local tragedies. There have been a lot of wildfires around where I live; have even made the national news. A good friend's family lost two houses - her parents old house and barn, and her brother's house both were lost to the fire. Winds moved it quickly down from a high ridge and they got out by about fifteen minutes. Several small towns have been completely evacuated, and the call has gone out for not only Red Cross donations, but also emergency animal boarding. . . Has been pretty scary. A very small fire burned to within 1000 yards of where I live, but it never was a threat to me; that fire was between lots of local access roads and controlled very quickly. But right now, there are three fires burning in timber and grassland - is crazy.

So my drama pales in comparison . . .
Have been feeling pretty good; ROM is 104/3 and slowly increasing. PT is getting a bit more challenging and I have to be vigilant not to over do. Have gotten the go ahead to start going up and down stairs in a normal stride - as tolerated a few steps at a time. I can get up my porch steps easily (3 steps) and do the same 3-4 steps indoors, but those down steps. . .Much More Apprehensive!! I have started a short quad push up/ standing extension; standing on my left (surgical) foot on a 3 inch block, I touch my non operative heel down to the floor and push up only with my new leg. It takes a slight knee bend and then extension with out pushing up off heel. These new movements have me sore but not in pain so I am glad for that. I can ice for my knees and a warm pack for my (still) sore quad!!

Am sleeping good, too. 8-9 hours most nights!! Still not always very hungry and am satisfied with much smaller portions. I also have been feeling sort of grumpy and icing my knee helps that; I am sure it is a form of pain, as Jo would say, so ice and Tylenol really make a difference when I feel like that. I have been saving my dilaudid for night time and using Tylenol, Ibuprofen, or naproxen during the day, depending on how I'm feeling. My knee is not so hot/warm to the touch now; it is after PT, but once that gets calmed down, it is much closer to normal. My ice packs don't need replacing as fast!! My main area of tenderness is right over my kneecap; main swelling is just below align the joint line. I watch out for these areas the most before and after PT.

I am going grocery shopping tomorrow. Was my task prior to surgery and Kim is gladly letting me do the small trips - she really hates shopping!! I am looking forward to it - and to getting us back on a regular meal routine!! The whole meal thing has been surprisingly hard; I've not been very hungry and there has been no real schedule. In the first couple weeks, several times I had to remind Kim to feed me; I am not kidding!! We weren't necessarily eating on the same schedule and she forgot that while I napped, she had lunch, or she had a late lunch and forget that I needed something for dinner . . . I didn't need much, but there wasn't much I could do for myself at that point. Once I got desperate and hobbled to the kitchen with my walker and got a banana and a box of crackers (these were easy to get to on the counter) and hobbled back to my recliner. She heard me and popped in from the laundry room and saw me looking pitiful with my banana and crackers - and realized I hadn't eaten yet. Half a wonderful ham sandwich materialized along with some sweet grapes. I cried.

We've had lots of sandwiches, some hot dogs, pasta salads, easy things for Kim to prepare. . . OH - And the occasional pizza :-) but I am sort of tired of that kind of eating. . . But it is summer and who wants to cook hot meals inside? And I am the grill chef. . . so the easy and tasty grill meals we normally have in the summer. . . Nope. So . . . Groceries and transitioning to real meals again!! Yippee!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
@Ollie Sorry to hear about the burnt homes! Makes us all appreciate what we have.
Oh, the image of you sitting with your banana and crackers! What a sad sight that must have been.
Things will get better. My husband loves to cook and is so glad at a little over 7 weeks he has been able to get back into it. He made us salmon tonight. He hates the thought of having to go back to being dependent when he gets his next knee done August 6th. Hang in there you will be grilling before you know it. Baby steps.
 
@tiredwife - yes, I was pretty pitiful! Wow - having both knees done within four months!! You husband is brave and so are you!! Because of my job and needing help in the first few weeks, I'll have to wait until next June to do this dance again. Mentally, I think I'll need that time to get ready again!!

I'll mark my calendar and keep you and your husband in my thoughts!
 
@Ollie because both knee were going out on him all the time we didn't want to risk him returning to work after just one knee and risking a fall. Through work he gets 6 1/2 months of short term disability so we needed to fit both knees into that period with enough recovery time after the last one. His doctor is very overcautious and wouldn't have agreed to it but my husband is doing really well. I don't work other than babysit our grandson 3 or so days a week, so I will be here to help. At least this time he will have a better idea as to what to expect, but every knee is different. He just wants it over, this is the longest he has ever gone without going to work and it is driving him crazy. With PT and other short outings we try to get him out of the house often.
 
@tiredwife That all makes sense!!
I can barely even think about doing this again - so he is my Hero!!
 
@Ollie Hubby said to tell you you have low standards if he is your hero!! LOL Really he has had a pretty easy recovery.
 
@tiredwife and @Ollie,
You are both very blessed with the surgery recoveries and the love of your spouse, as I am". I wanted both of you to know after y'all got to talking about the grilling, that my mouth started to water! I , too, have not had much of an appetite, but I can smell that T-Bone cooking on the grill tomorrow afternoon! Hubby promised!

Also, I have more pain in my right knee as each day goes forward, so I am using my walker to keep swelling down. Feels weird to have both knees elevated and icing, but after working 9 hours a day, both are swollen to the ankles! Prayers please for another job that will allow me time off to have right knee done. If not I am in for a long year! I
I am even thinking about taking a job that pays half my salary to get away from all of this anxiety! @tiredwife, please remind your hubby to enjoy each day, even though he is missing the normal routine of work (and I am definitely a routine person) is has been sincerely a painful and prolonged recovery because I had to go back before my knee was ready! He will appreciate the time off, more so when he does go back!

Ollie, try not to overdo, as men often do, on your grocery shopping! Good luck (my husband does all the shopping and cooking) as I know you miss it! Have ice ready when you come home!

Best wishes for you and yours, blessings too!

[Bonesmart.org] Ollie's Adventure
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Quasi My husband has his appitite back this week, he has been off the pain meds for quite some time. Now he is hungry all the time. We had a huge breakfast at a local cafe. It was great.
 
@Quasi & @tiredwife - I am trying to keep my food cravings in check - but the grill has been calling me!! A steak or my honey lime chicken, maybe a pizza or marinated pork tenderloins. . . Salmon. . . My appetite is coming back a bit, too, but I need to drop some weight before next surgery. . . So must be measured and careful!!
Your breakfast out sounded like heaven. . . As I am really wanting waffles or pancakes or French toast. . . :roseshwr: Oh well. . . Soon!

I am tired from shopping today and a bit stiff. My surgical knee has no pain but am icing just the same as I think I have a bit of swelling. Tomorrow will be quiet unless we go get some pet food to donate to the local fire relief. Lots of folks have lost their homes and are boarding pets all over . . . :sad:

On a positive note, Kim is making her famous bacon and blue cheese salads for dinner and I can't wait. You two take care and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
 
@Ollie ummmmmmm Bacon -love bacon. Darn hungry now! My husband dropped some weight before his first surgery, and dropped some after the surgery. He will probably drop somemore after the next surgery. We both need to loose weight but we are doing it slow - really slow - me a lot slower than he is.
 
@tiredwife - Oh yes, Bacon is Gooood!! :snork: And my dinner salad was wonderful. Is simple mixed greens, dried cranberries, pecans, apple slices, bacon, avocado, and Litehouse blue cheese dressing (has to be Litehouse!). Add a couple toasted baguette slices and. . . Was Great!! I'd made an apple crisp but we were stuffed, so will get to have our dessert today!!

And for today. . . Well. . . Go ahead with any 'I told you so' comments you want. . .
I have to admit that I overdid it a bit yesterday with my shopping expedition and am having an "elevate, ice, and rest" day today. Am already feeling better, but am also kicking myself for getting to this. Just should have had a shorter trip and not been on my feet so long. Now I have to get my knee happy again!! I have my six week check in with my OS tomorrow so a happier knee will be a good thing!!

Best to you today!!
 
@Ollie Okay no told you so's, you will be okay, my husband overdoes all the time, but he ices and elevates a lot too.

Have you tried bacon wrapped asparagus with maple sauce? Wow! Your salad sounds great, but we don't have Litehouse dressing here that I know of. Hubby is going up to make some Waldorf salad now, trying a new reciepe. He has been cooking since he was little. Would cook for himself and his little brother after school while their mom worked. If I remember right the first thing he said he made was homemade biscuits.
Ice and elevate. Have a good evening.
By the way Hubby has been reading your thread, he lurks on here a lot. I offered to set him up an avatar of his own but he said he would rather lurk! He hates typing. If anyone ever wants to ask him something go ahead and I will type his answer.
 
@tiredwife Oh, asparagus wrapped with bacon and maple glaze? Sounds delicious ! Will put that in my 'gotta try it' list!!

I keep food notes for just those kinds of things!! I love my iPad!! I like grilling split zucchini, ones about the size of cucumbers. (You can do slices of larger ones, too, but they might be tougher) That little bit of grill char helps give them a smoky flavor. To serve brush with butter or garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Nice simple side and it uses up the abundant summer zucchini! :thumb: Also, we love grilled stone fruit like peaches and plums, or nectarines. Same thing with them - the grill char gives a smoky flavor, the heat softens the fruit a bit, and served with marscapone cheese (or whipped cream) and sliced or slivered almonds makes a simple dessert. If the fruit is sweet, you won't need added sweetener. If you have a sweet tooth, then you might want to sprinkle with sweetener of choice!! Oh, You have to watch the fruit on the grill, though. It can go jam- soft fast and make a mess!!

Do you have Marie's dressings there? It may be a west coast brand. . . But I think I read you can get Litehouse dressings in Missouri at Sam's warehouse and Dillion's. . . It will be in the refrigerated dressings - in any case, it is a thick, creamy, chunky blue. Just use your favorite!!

It feels really good to be icing and elevating today! Comforting, really. The cats are all napping and for the first time in a couple days I actually feel pretty good. :yahoo:
 
@Ollie I think we have Marie's. We are in a tiny little town with a little bit bigger town 10 miles one way and one twice as big as that one 20 miles the other way.
Hubby says to tell you he uses rum and brown sugar on the grilled peaches. Grilled pineapple is great! Oh, have you ever grilled crab legs? Great smokey flavor and not as messy to eat. We will try the zucchini!

Glad you are having a good day!!

Uh.......aren't the cats usually napping? Ours are until they hear me open their treats. I can be as quiet as I can and they all come running!
 
@tiredwife - yes, they are always napping, and playing musical laps!! They are kind little souls and have been good company when I nap :-) and a reason to think of other things when I get out the laser pointer or feather teasers!!

I will have to try the rum!! I have used my little kitchen torch to 'brûlée' a bit of sugar on the fruit now and then, too!! Talking about food is pretty fun - and relaxing, too!! Takes my mind off stuff and things. :-/

We are having burgers tonight - not grilled, but I am looking forward just the same!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
@Ollie Hubby made some freezer Waldorf salad and we ate that for a light dinner. Had a big lunch at a pizza buffet. He even did the dishes. He is getting really bored. Have a restful night.
 
@tiredwife You'll gave to tell me what a freezer Waldorf Salad is. . And pizza buffet is always a good idea!!

I am sort of bored, too, when I stretch out my meds and get away from the fuzzy head stuff. Today I've been taking my meds closer together so haven't been bored. Easily distracted is more like it!
Best wishes to you and hubby!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom