TKR Ollie's Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post op PT meeting was good. Talked about pain management, ROM, got a couple additional exercises to do along with a daily 'schedule' for doing them. I go back today for first real PT; will be in the pool after PENS. First target is going to be my quad. It is quite sore and knotted from the surgical tourniquet and is affecting both my knee and hip. So - PT squad will start there. Once that gets loosened up, I can tell that my ROM will get a big boost. So will my state of mind. My quad and hip have been giving me fits; more pain there than my knee, actually.

There was some rah-rah talk about 'no pain, no gain' and my warning system began to light up, but then when we actually worked through the stretching exercises, I was in control of the movement, my PT was not. I got to work slowly and push right up to that edge of discomfort/pain and left therapy feeling pretty good. I did the exercises at home the same way and ended my day with less stiffness and better ROM.

Another thing I really appreciated was that my PT insisted that I use my walker for now and not my cane - that he wanted me to walk with a normal gait, even if that meant I used the walker assistance for longer. I am to go slow and focus on not limping or shortening my gait. So in addition to my daily exercises, my walking around the house is to increase ROM and to retrain myself away from the hobble I've lived with for the past 10 years.

Will post after today's session. Besides being excited to get this process started, I am looking forward to the physical activity and hoping it will help me sleep longer tonight.


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
There was some rah-rah talk about 'no pain, no gain' and my warning system began to light up, but then when we actually worked through the stretching exercises, I was in control of the movement, my PT was not.
That is great---remember---while your knees set up the recovery schedule, you are in charge of the PT---they work for you! Excellent!

Another thing I really appreciated was that my PT insisted that I use my walker for now and not my cane - that he wanted me to walk with a normal gait, even if that meant I used the walker assistance for longer.
This is also equally impressive---do not be in a hurry to move on to a cane---that gait is important, and the "mechanics is muscle memory" term applies. Work on attaining the correct gait and then move on to the cane---no sense in hurrying something and needing more correction.

So in addition to my daily exercises, my walking around the house is to increase ROM and to retrain myself away from the hobble I've lived with for the past 10 years.
Yes---again, "mechanics is muscle memory, and your body is use to the hobble---it may take some time, but you now have to establish a new an true normalcy---one that is truly functional and not dysfunctional.

Please keep posting and let us know how things are going!
 
Hydro therapy was great! I started with 20 minutes of PENS, then changed into my best Esther Williams outfit and worked through my stretching sets and walking sets and then had a wonderful massage with the water stream. I was in charge of the amount of stretch/pain throughout.

Then I got home and woof. . . Was I whipped. Ended up going to bed around 8:00pm. With pain meds, I even slept most of the night in bed!! Had to shift to my recliner @ 5:00am. Am working on the ice - elevation today with my regular stretching schedule. Will be happy to get a couple days to recover!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
Sounds like you've got a great PT. My pt also said the best way to practice walking right now could be the walker b/c with the cane you have too many things to concentrate on.
 
Hello @referee54 ,
While you were talking about walkers, I wanted to ask about whether to get the chrome old fashioned walker or the kind with the seat, so later I can walk down the driveway, rest n walk back.? Is there a thread for walkers?

Thanks,
 
I have the old-fashioned kind. Was my Mom's. I might look into the wheelie kind as I get more mobile out of the house.

It really does make a difference in my gait and in building my ROM. It is even helping my non- surgical knee which is also in need of replacement. I can go slow and really take good strides, yet I also feel secure and supported. No Hobbling!!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
Hello @referee54 ,
While you were talking about walkers, I wanted to ask about whether to get the chrome old fashioned walker or the kind with the seat, so later I can walk down the driveway, rest n walk back.? Is there a thread for walkers?

Thanks,
I just used a good, old-fashioned walker with no wheels or seat---anything that allows you to go further or farther,

You should not go anywhere that far, that early, if you have to stop and rest. If you have to stop and rest, you are going too far, too soon.
 
I'm borrowing my mother-in-law's walker. It has wheels, a seat, and a basket under the seat that has been invaluable for toting things with me! I have 2 cats that like to ride on the seat as I walk around the house:heehee:. I'm also on track to hopefully be ready to start the school year, so I'm working hard to follow the mantras! Sounds like you are also on your way.
 
Hi @H2OPoloMom , love your post about ur cats... have they jumped up on your knee? Ouch, I will be dealing with my 2 and I bought the Big Joe bean bag chair for elevation and look who likes it...

[Bonesmart.org] Ollie's Adventure
 
My kitties have been so sweet, too! Woke up this AM with Boo on my chest. (Boo is my avatar) He hasn't been very cuddly with me since surgery, so this was a treat. They have been pretty careful around my knee, but I've noticed they are not stepping quite so daintily today. They hate the walker. . . No, they are annoyed by the walker. I have to give them a bit of a bump now and then to move them along. They look at me with decided contempt!!

My sleeping through the night is getting closer to normal; last night I didn't have to get into the recliner, but I didn't really sleep through. Was fitful and restless. It is dang hard to get comfortable for very long. Am taking more frequent and longer walks each day, but am sure tired after. That is frustrating. I know enough to not overdo, and have had a couple bouts of pitiful weepy-ness, and am trying to carefully help my 'support staff' understand that this will take time, and one good day doesn't mean the next day will be the same. I am stretching, walking, icing, elevating. As good as I mostly feel, I am just 20 days post surgery.

PT tomorrow to be followed by a long nap!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
I have given up on sleeping at night and have decided that it doesn't matter when I get it as long as I can get 2-3 two hour stretches in any given 24 hour period plus an hour here or there, I'm good. Many nights I have to rearrange pillows to a new but acceptable toes above the nose position just to get comfortable, but as long as I accept that these variations are part of recovery, it's all good.

My pets always seem to know when I'm not feeling well and when I need their cuddles and when it helps just to have them nearby when they might not normally be. Cats and dogs seem to do this alike. They have definitely made recovery better!
 
I had my right knee done June 11 so we are about the same pace I love my ice and elevation and am very jealous you get pool therapy my OS said no way hope things continue to go well and I will follow along


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
SO nice to hear your feline adventures. Funny they don't run away with Mr Walker coming... so go faster and they'll move it along.
For 20 days you sound good, it is a long journey. What do you do for activities? Read, stitch? I purchases new pages for my address books so I can re-write them while I'm down.

Also going to work on my husband's Revocable Trust. tee hee.

Hope your sleep goes smoothly,
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
@Betsey-Knees - I am a generally a big reader, but have mostly been catching up on some TV & movies that I missed during the school year. Have to say that I was sort of bored and restless today, mentally restless, anyway. Even my iPad games and such weren't terribly intriguing. Mostly didn't want to do or think about anything.

Right this very minute I am wide awake @1:47AM ... Icing and elevating my knee just because. My sort of bored/restlessness made for an out of sorts day. Felt good, mostly, but not great. Got good exercise - took a couple short, careful walks along with my regular stretches; my knee felt/feels good, but the whole day I just felt a bit - off. Impatient, frustrated, tired, pitiful. I think I got just slightly off my pain med schedule. Have fixed that and am hoping this malaise passes. Also a bit frustrated with mild constipation from the hydromorphone. Not any distress, but certainly NOT regular, and that vexes me. And the sleep thing. I am still napping during the day, but restless at night. I know this is common - normal even - but sheesh!

I am hungry, but nothing tastes very good; first few bites are great, then - bleh. My partner got a box of nectarines at Costco and they weren't very sweet. We had some fresh then I pulled up a chair in the kitchen and put together a nectarine cobbler/crisp. It was awesome, but even then, I didn't ever want much of it. Seriously. . . Not at all like me. . . Not that watching what I eat and maybe even losing some weight isn't a good thing. . . But just. . . AARRGGHH!

I am thankful for this forum and the chance to vent. Seems that I have nudged up against a bit of a wall and only because I know this is what happens during the process of healing, etc. am I not feeling overwhelmed. Again, even if you all don't know it, the stories of your journeys have helped me understand and handle my own.


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
I totally agree with you @Ollie! It is a tremendous help to know from those who have experienced it that there are good days/nights and bad ones. I am having a pretty good day today and am really appreciating it more knowing that tomorrow may or may not be as good. On the other hand, it's also good to know on a bad day that tomorrow could be better and very likely will be! This is invaluable to know because this is a long journey, but one I willingly accept because down the road will be better than before the surgery!
 
yes, early on it is hard to find stuff that you're very interested in eating. Strange for me:heehee: but it gradually gets better. Just try to eat as healthily as you can even in small amounts at a time. I do get hungry now, but am still eating less. Now if only this will stay the case post recovery :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom