Guest viewing is limited

THR Old hip, new sensation!

It is indeed a journey @beckylou. Sounds like you are doing well. Being released to drive will be great. I was driving by four weeks so hopefully you get released.
 
Glad you are not pushing overdoing it. Plenty of time to strengthen and tone after we get that forever hip good and settled in.
You've got this!
:ok:
 
Aww, it will all come in time @beckylou
You're taking it slow and easy, maybe not by choice but the end result will be worth it :yes!:
I'll bet you get released to drive any day now. I received permission to drive at three weeks but didn't get in the car for a few more days. I surprised myself I wasn't roaring down the road because I was itching to drive also. I think like a little kid, I didn't like that I was told I couldn't, making me want to do it all the more.

I wish you didn't worry. This isn't your first rodeo and you did alright last time. You'll do it again!

Best wishes for a relaxing weekend in beautiful New Zealand. Hahaha, never been but it sure looks pretty in pics
Hugs :friends:
 
Awwww thanks ladies. Yes, it is slow but sure!

Quick question. I have a bright pink area at one end of my incision. It's where the tape has come off. When do we worry about infection?
 
Is it warm to touch, inflamed, oozing? I was told if there's a red patch and warm, outline it with a pen so that you can keep track if it gets bigger.
This is the list I was given:

Signs of infection

Call your doctor if you notice signs of an infection, such as:

  • A yellow or green discharge that is increasing.
  • A change in the odor of the discharge.
  • A change in the size of the incision.
  • Redness or hardening of the surrounding area.
  • The incision is hot to the touch.
  • broken link removed: https://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/fever.
  • Increasing or unusual pain.
  • Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the dressing.
 
I have also found that some of the tapes just irritate my skin. Always smart to keep an eye on, but may just be one of those things.
 
Hi @beckylou
Hope your day...or night, is going well. I have a hard time with the time zones.
You're living the next day before I even go to bed.
My skin gets really red from tape. It looked nasty the first time it was removed.
If you notice that clearing over the next day or so, I'm sure it was the tape.
Sweet Dana laid out the perfect info re: infection and what to look for.
Wishing you a great weekend! (with no worries)
 
3 weeks and 2 days UPDATE

Got the clear from the ortho to drive and swim. He's happy for me to keep on increasing my activity levels for the next few weeks but nothing vigorous until 6 weeks!

I have been mostly up and about for the past few days. A lie down in the afternoon just to rest. Weaning off sleepmeds and had a beer today!!

High five y'all
 
Yippee! Those are awesome things. :happydance:

Nothing vigorous though....so remember that come late night candlelight sesh with Mr Wonderful.... No rocking around the Christmas tree! :heehee:
 
Merry Christmas and happy your new hip will make your new year full of promise.
:cheers2:
 
Hi @beckylou
It's so freeing to get the okay to drive again :egypdance:
You're lucky in regard to the swimming. My OS advised
no pools, lakes, baths, hot tubs etc for 3 months.
Seems OS's ideas on that are all over the place, same with the blood clot protocol.
:cheers: Haha! She's baaaack! :cheers:
 
@Layla - I've only just seen you message now. 3 months for a swim...how bizarre?! Perhaps to mitigate a falls risk? My OS said ok to and my incision still has scabs. I left it another 10 days and got into a freshwater private pool a few days ago. It made me quite paranoid so yesterday I went swimming again but had a waterproof dressing. This morning I can see I have a skin reaction to the dressing! Aaargggh

It's summer here and I am chomping to get back into the ocean but that is a few weeks away!
 
Heh hippies...5 week update!

I've dropped the crutches but will take one when I get out for a long walk. Been for a few swims. Incision still scaby and taking it's sweet time. Back doing all house chores, shopping ect. Have had a social time of outing over the past few days and managing really well. Still doing panandol a few times a day and needed ibuprofen yesterday for my sore back.

I am tracking slightly behind compared to my other recovery but still super happy with progress. Can feel I am heading into that 'what hip replacement' zone really soon.

My other hip has really been playing up. OS said it would settle and the xrays look fine. I guess my pelvis/back have to readjust to all the new ROM!

Next milestones....1) fully healed incision 2) swim in the ocean 3) ride on my bike 4) concert
 
Hi Beckylou!
So nice to hear from you. On the swimming, or submersion, as I believe my OS referred to it....
I believe it has to do with infection risk. I guess they want assurance the incision is plastered shut, no chance
of any nasty old germs penetrating. It's kind of the same way with the blood clot prevention. It's all over the board! I would assume they have to take into consideration the lowest common denominator and build their protocol on that.

All I can do is this > :rotfl: when you say it's Summer there! We're snow on the ground, icy walkways, below freezing.....nastiness! Currently -2 degrees. I think you get the pic as (I believe) a native Canadian?

Warm wishes for continued healing and abundant blessings in 2018! @beckylou
 
Was typing / cooking / watching news on tv when your update posted.
:goodpost: Great update.
Concert? Anyone we all know? I thought my concert days were over until I braved one
about a year ago. Kind of got the bug and want to see the Eagles in the summer here (as Don Henley is 70 and has to be hanging up his hat soon) would love to see Pink in March but was shocked
:holysheep: :tantrum2: :no-fin: :gaah: :banghead: :bignono::groan::hairpulling: :flabber: :bawl: at ticket PRICES! In the hundreds!!

Need I say more :heehee:
@beckylou
 
Oh @beckylou I'm so jealous of your living the summer weather. It's miserable here....MISERABLE! Deep freeze and ridiculous amounts of snow. Polar bears would be in their glory here!
So...you sound fabulous!!! So happy for you!!! Happy New Year and new you!!!! ❤
 
That’s great you’ve got the all clear to drive and swim. The pool is (sort of) keeping me sane at the moment! Though being school holidays it’s quite crowded.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom