Guest viewing is limited

THR Old hip, new sensation!

Good 5 week update. Glad you are getting back to your favorite activities.
 
Hi @beckylou glad to see you're progressing so well......you must be so glad to be allowed to swim, given how hot it's been :) hope everything continues to go well for you :yes!:
 
Help please!!!

5 weeks 5 days post op. Over the past week I have been increasingly active and not using crutch. Joint feels great BUT.....incision site flared up last night after a huge day out in the car and a long walk. It was slightly swollen and pink but not really sore. I iced it and this morning it was back to normal.

By midday today I felt the incision, no swelling or pink areas but it felt lije a searing pain. Not continuous but off/on. Back on pain meds and rest.

No fever, not unwell.

Infection? Or just overdoing it? It's the weekend here so wondering if its worth a trip to A&E....
 
I'd be inclined to think it's because you had a huge day. Someone told me how even though the incision is healed at the top layer, there's still ongoing deep tissue healing-overdoing it will tell you via that deep tissue, muscles, ligaments etc yelling that it's rest time. I'd take it easy over the weekend and see how it feels come Monday. Go back to one crutch or a cane. Put your feet up. Ice. Take your Tylenol etc clockwork.

Frustrating, no doubt, to feel progress only to then feel totally set back. You're a Trooper girl! Wanna join us over in my pillow blankie fort? Luv ya!
 
Agree with Dana. The movement pulls on that stuff and that can make it hurt. I wouldn’t worry too much unless it shows significant changes (like it gets really hot and swollen). You will have spells like that while healing continues. Take advantage of the weekend @beckylou and get in a little rest.
 
Those little nerves would zip, zap, and sear at times...things getting back to life I reckoned.
As I moved around more, the numbness dissipated and every once in a while that incision pain would catch me out of the blue.
Recovery junk I think. Obviously watch for redness increasing....
Glad to see you are doing so well otherwise! This will be a great year!
 
When I had similar sensations with first THR, I was told to massage the incision - that it was likely scar tissue adhesions that were being pulled from the activity.
 
My ortho said no immersion in water such as bathtub, swimming pool, etc. until the next appointment at 7 weeks. It is awesome that you can swim. I am hibernating and waiting for that Indian Summer that must be just around the corner. Winter has started with a bang this year in the U.S.
 
I recall many weird sensations in the area surrounding my incision.
Most were fleeting. If something lasted longer, it was usually gone the next day.
Hopefully your situation has improved. If you're really concerned you could phone the office of your OS, allowing his care team to ask a few questions and most likely put your mind at ease.

Congrats on almost 6 weeks! It sounds like you're diving right back into life.
So happy for you @beckylou
Enjoy the weekend!
 
Yep! I had the same as you after a very strenuous day of going up and down stairs. It’s fine now. I took 2 Advil and iced and elevated. I was fine in the morning. I hope you are back to “normal”’this morning. My incision felt burny and a bit hot and swollen. Not just the incision but about 4-5” all around it...and a bit on the side of my thigh. My THR was Nov. 28
 
@lucinda007... I ended up getting antibiotics and within 24hours of starting the pain went away. It could be a coincidence as I had also been resting and icing. Better safe than sorry!
 
Last edited:
Hi @beckylou
I hope you're feeling "good as new" after your mini detour last weekend.
Best wishes for a beautiful New Zealand weekend! I know you're warmer
there than I am here in the Upper Midwest-West. Today will bring a sunny high of 4 degrees :rotfl:
Bet you don't miss THAT being a native Canadian!
 
Hi...almost 6 week update!

Thanks @Layla sunny high of 30 here today.

Last week's blip is a distant memory. Finish the antibiotics and working on rebuilding my gut with healthy eating and probiotics.

At 7 weeks....
I haven't had pain killers or used walking aids for the past 5 days.
I'm back to long walks and have done a few river and beach walks and feel really stable.
No more resting during the day and sleeping well at night.
Started to go past 90 degrees and joint feels super good.
Incision is a bit tender and numb and not quite completely healed. A few smalls holes still with scabs.

Energy levels and acitivity close to normal now. Just want to get my pre op fitness now whih starts with increasing my walking mileage.

My right hip....which was done is 2014....is a bit of a worry. I am getting sensation (not going to call it pain) in my buttocks and on the outer side of my hip. Since I have started increasing my ROM with the left I have noticed some brief pullinh in my groin. Of course my main concern is that the acetabulum is loosening but will need to see how it settles in. Still a worry but not with the new hip!

Hope all you other hippies are doing awesome. It's quite the journey. I now have two good hips for life after almost 20 years of limited mobility and pain. Yay!
 
Perhaps right hip is just adjusting to left starting to work right @beckylou. Otherwise you sound great.
 
Hi @beckylou
So great to hear the news on your incision.
It takes quite awhile for that numbness to disappear.
It sounds like you're really getting back on track with daily exercise and
normal sleep patterns. Good for you!
I'd try to ignore your concerns regarding your first replacement unless it becomes worse or unrelenting.
It's probably due to your changing gait with the latest THR. Consider weighing in with Jo in a week or two if it continues to concern you.
Hope your weekend is great!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom