Guest viewing is limited

Oh groan - bone on bone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, I just got a letter from the hospital after I refused to use a walker at all. They essentially agreed with me that it is not necessary and no longer require the use of one. They prefer patients to have crutches since that is so much more flexible. If you need assistance on the stairs, crutches are much easier to use. However, when I got home on day three, I just walked up and down the stairs on my own. K
 
Jo,

I wish I could give you a huge hug right now. Maybe a thousand will do for starters (and I'll hug you from the 'good' side).

You have.been so kind to all of us and I only wish you the best on this next ride.
 
Jo, here are some things that made the rotator cuff surgery easier on me. 1. get some blouses with buttons or snaps. It is too hard to get things over your head. 2. Get some pull up pants---it is too hard to button up!!

I had a big strap to hold the arm against my body so when I was playing soccer it would not bounce around! Seriously the strap does make it easier at night. Kelly
 
Ah, Josephine! All the very best for your upcoming surgery. I hope it goes well and you make a sterling recovery. :flwrysmile:

You've been such a help to us all - now it's your turn! Get plenty of rest and feel free to complain to us - we'll always be here to listen! And we all care about you!


About crutches/walkers:
I came home to New Zealand from Canada using two underarm crutches, after my 11-year-old PKR failed suddenly. I was not supposed to bear any weight at all on my damaged knee. At the hospital in Quebec City, they measured me and fitted the crutches very carefully, warning me lots about the dangers of putting pressure on my armpits. (No. Someone my size and age cannot bear their full weight on forearm crutches!) They showed me how to use the crutches and would not let me leave until I had mastered the correct technique.

I had 2.5 months on those crutches before having my Revision to TKR and, so, developed confidence in them. When the staff got me out of bed the morning after surgery, they had me use a walker. I hated it, although it was useful to hang the catheter bag on! :yikes:

The next day, the physio came along with forearm crutches for me. I have a weak left wrist and I felt that the forearm crutches were putting strain on it; I felt as though that wrist would give way on me and it made me feel unsafe. So, I said "no thanks" to the forearm crutches.

We had a little battle of wills (along with an explanation by the physio as to why underarm crutches could be unwise), but I explained that I already knew the possible dangers and my crutches had been measured and fitted for me when they were issued. (I already had calluses on my hands, but not under my arms! :giggle:)

I left the hospital using underarm crutches. After about a week, I graduated to using a pair of forearm crutches (with new rubber tips fitted) that my son had left behind - he has an above-knee amputation. A week after that, I started using 2 sticks. Later, just one stick, and then none.

As far as I can tell, in New Zealand, walkers are seldom used after TKRs, except for the first few days. Most people have the forearm crutches. There is a definite awareness of the potential for damage being caused by putting pressure under the arms if using underarm crutches.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Thanks ladies. You are kind. Kelly, I have some stretchy cotton tops which are a couple of sizes too big and very easy to get on even with a gammy shoulder - as I learned last year when I damaged mu right shoulder. And I never wear pants, pull-up or otherwise, just elastic waisted skirts which will be much the same thing.

However, right now I have a new problem - an annoying cold that just doesn't seem to want to go away. I have my pre-op tomorrow and surgery next Wednesday. Hoping against hope it will mostly be resolved by then. If not, I think you may hear the cry of anger across the pond! :heehee:
 
Josephine, I do wish you the best when having your surgery. We are all here for you just like you have been for us. You are an inspiration to me and I want to say thank you so much!!
You will be in my prayers. Hope that nasty cold leaves quickly!!
Love and best wishes .... Gilda (((Hugs)))
 
Dear Josephine,
I hope your Pre op visit went well and your cold is disappearing.
Best wishes,
Toothfairy
:flwrysmile:
 
Josephine,
Welcome to the 3 surgeries in a year club. I had my first one in London in February of this year. I wish
you well in your upcoming surgery. Recover quickly my friend.

Bassman
LPKR 26/11/12
 
Well today was a comedy of errors!
1. I turned up on the wrong day - the pre-op is tomorrow!
2. went to Walmart to shop, at the checkout found I had left my wallet in the car! Long walk there and back only to find the queue of customers was still standing there patiently waiting and being very sweet about it! Only in England!
3. at another supermarket with an even bigger car park, took me over an hour of wandering round and round and up and down lanes to find my car!
4. decided to do the only sensible thing and speak with my surgeon's secretary who suggested I leave it till Monday and then, if I was sure I wouldn't be fit, to let her know so she could get another patient in. And than she would also book me in to an empty slot on the 17th December. Oddly enough, the day's outing seems to have cleared the old pipes a bit!

Just as a by the way, a few nights ago I lost my specs in the depths of my recliner settee. I knew I needed to 'log roll' the settee in order to look under it but though I probably could do it on my own, it's in three sections and shows signs of coming apart if not careful, so definitely not a one man (or woman!) job. But can I find anyone? I rang several places including Help the Aged and the local authority - who said 'oh yes, we have a handyman service' - only to find they all seemed hung up on the fact that they would have to charge me but made it patently clear they really didn't want to come. The local authority chap said he would have to send someone round to assess the job from a health and safety point of view. I asked when and he said probably Friday. So when will someone be able come and actually help? Maybe Wednesday or Thursday next week! :doh:

So after a day of utter frustration and even tears, I finally stumbled upon a chap who said he would come that evening for a tenner (£10) only he failed to turn up. Seems he hit a problem at the job he was on, apologised profusely and promised faithfully to come this evening which he did. He was in the house for all of 30 seconds as we rolled the settee and found the specs underneath. I offered him the money as I showed him out but he waved it away, saying he couldn't possibly let me pay for that little job!

And they say chivalry's dead!
 
Oh poor Jo...I had to smile as I was reading about your day, but I also felt your frustration too. I have had days like that and found myself on the verge of tears. I was telling my doctor about one of those times and he told me it was just a 3 letter word called "age". Of course I disagreed out loud but deep inside my mind I knew he was quite right...LOL..
Oh, by the way, did you get that nice person's personal phone # in case you need a helping hand after your surgery?..((smiling)) May not be such a bad idea...hehe
Love you dear ! Gilda
 
Thank you Gilda - my intention certainly was to amuse. You couldn't write a story like that, could you? And your doctor is a pillock! Age indeed - lot he knows!
 
As a person who has ADHD I have had lots of days like yours!! I am trying very hard to be a person who THINKS prior to acting!!
 
Josephine, I 'm so sorry you that kind of day but it did sound it ended on a high note. The good thing about tomarrow is that its another day and things can go better. I truly hope it does. From the US Happy Thanksgiving Day. Take care and tomarrow will be better. Tashia
 
So how is the viral cold honey?
 
I think I just added another noun to my vocabulary- pillock. The definition is probably not known by many around here. :angel:
 
Jo,
Looks like I have been away too long. I will be praying that your first surgery
goes as smooth as butter. And that your recovery and P.T. is manageable.
I will be checking back in to see how you do. Then we can compare our Rotor
cuff surgeries. Sending you Big Hugs!
D.
 
I hope your day is going good and that you are i no pain. I know surgies are coming up and I wish you the best and will be thinking of you often. Please tell me that the cold is gone. You have enough to think of without that. Wish I was close enough so I could drop in and say Hi once in a while. Stay postive my fiend. Tashia
 
Angel! How lovely to see you! Thank you so much for popping in to wish me well. That means a lot to me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom