Guest viewing is limited

Oh groan - bone on bone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Sonja and I really forgot..ok..I have never seen anyone here (Ca) and probably know about 40 people from various areas in this state and also at PT. but know more just by chance so it is interesting. I think every doctor has their own protocol.

Just interesting to hear the differences.

So why would crutches be used over a walker. Is it about weight bearing? Now I am curious.
 
So why would crutches be used over a walker. Is it about weight bearing? Now I am curious.


It's about safety and balance. Most patients who undergo TKR use a walker because it provides more stability than crutches. For many patients (especially older patients), there is less of a chance of falling when using a walker than crutches.

Orthodoc
 
Thanks for this. Makes so much sense. So Sonja is now gloating because she is deemed young. Go for it lady. We love you.
 
Ouch! I had three surgeries in 13 months, so you'll beat me in that contest, but it's not one I wanted to win...or even enter. Just, please, follow your advice about getting lots of rest. Even as a surgery itself heals, it's wearing on your whole system.
 
It's interesting how a little pain can turn into a major surgery. I had just a little pain on my knee, which I thought was from spider viens, ha ha. Then the first doctor tells me double knee replacement within 10 years. I didn't even feel it in the left knee till I got the shots in the right knee. Then the left knee was free to inflict pain to get noticed. I guess I had selective pain awareness.

Well hope all goes well for you, you have the best support team for you.
 
We all do, Kay! The most interesting thing about OA and xrays is that one patient's xrays can show very little damage and yet the patient is declaring extensive pain and disability while another patient's xrays will look really bad and yet that patient appears to have very little pain and no disability. You never can tell.
 
The most interesting thing about OA and xrays is that one patient's xrays can show very little damage and yet the patient is declaring extensive pain and disability while another patient's xrays will look really bad and yet that patient appears to have very little pain and no disability. You never can tell.

So true! I have to explain that to patients all the time!

Orthodoc
 
I guess I did "forget" to mention in the early days of recovery I was using a walker! For about 2 1/2 weeks! :) Then, I asked at rehab if I could try out crutches, and they told me they weren't sure because they take so much balance and coordination! :happydance:

I told them, well, if I can't do it I will go back to the walker only! (Little did they know that I had been on crutches for 3-4 months before surgery!) :wink:

Well, they gave me the crutches, and I had a wound vacuum attached to my knee and an iv stuck in my arm attached to a pole. The PT and an aide had both contraptions, and another PT was going to make sure I kept my balance. As soon as I got on the crutches, it was off to the races, with everyone jogging behind telling me to slow down! :rotfl:
 
Jo, I never used a walker EVER!! I would rather die than walk around with a walker. I used crutches in the hospital, because the nurses were so uptight. But on the am of day three I walked out of the hospital with no crutches and really never used them--although I kept them in the house for a day or two. I went to outpatient pt on day four or five and they told me then that I did not need crutches and to forget about them. I think that sometimes people are afraid to walk on the hew knee and my balance is pretty good from skiing. And, I have never even considered using a cane.

I tried the walker once with my first tkr and it was such a pain in the rear, that I used it for one hour total. (My husband insisted that I needed one!) I have a small house and I had to constantly walk around carrying the darn thing around the corners and it was pretty heavy!! Also, my studio is downstairs and I refused to carry it down with me. They tried to make me use one in the hospital, but I would not do it. I just walked around the hospital---if I saw a nurse, I would drag the walker behind me or carry it down the hall folded up. Finally they told me to forget it!

I have had both shoulders done with acromioplasty!! It is a painful surgery----I cried one day, which I could not even believe!! I am definitely not a person who cries from pain!! The best thing I ever did was get a thick belt which fit around my sling and body. I would belt the arm to my body so that I could go hiking or to the gym and my arm would not fall out of the sling or move around too much. I did have one spectacular fall like that---I slipped on some bear grass and because my arm was tied to me, I could not stop myself. Tried to dig in my heels, etc. Ended up about 200 feet down from where I started. At the end, I was laughing so hard that I was out of breath and could not answer my friends who asked if I was okay!! I did beat them down!! Luckily, I had on long sleeves and long pants, so no damage. I had to wear a sling for 12 weeks---the worst experience of my life!! I coached soccer that fall and looked like an idiot running around with my arm belted to my body. Oh well, that was long before I would even think about my knees.

I am glad that I had my shoulders done because they ached all the time. I could hardly sleep at night. But, I am sorry that I had my knees done. I liked my own knees better, even though they hurt, the fake knees just don't do it for me. Kelly
 
Oh Josephine, our fearless leader,:shocked: so you're not thinking you need a second opinion? I have a really great walker with slow moving wheels on the front made the treks around the house easier - how bout I hand deliver it to you? England, right-o?
Well maybe I could just mail it, but crutches! Wow that would have impaired me the cane worked best.
I take it you will have to do the pre-op tests, does that include a stress test? Just wondering.
Prayers going out across the pond!
Nancy2
 
Geez Jo - just saw this! You are going to need a frequent visitor card at the hospital! :heehee: Not fun my friend!
 
Second opinion? Not likely! The chap who is doing this for me, I worked with him for over six years and trust him absolutely. Same with my knee surgeon. I know them both, know their work, how they deal with the unexpected (skilfully!) and how their patients turn out (superbly) - what more could you want?
 
I agree. When I first started looking for a knee surgeon, the first people I called were the three nurses that I know. They all gave me the same name, that was pretty convincing. Kelly
 
You give us such great advice. Now just go back and do your reading :) of all the articles
 
Kelly, why do you say you don't like your new knees? Are you just so active that they don't perform like you would like?
 
Yes, I have lost three summers to knee rehab and in the process, lost my perspective on life too!! I used to be outside constantly, now I have less motivation and find myself in my studio more--but I am no where near as strong as I was five years ago before all this happened. I should have just taken the pain. Kelly
 
Well, nothing can compare to our original equipment, but when we wear it out, destroy it, or osteoarthritis destroys it for us, there is nothing that can heal it. Taking the pain would not have stopped the deterioration. You really would have ended up not being able to do the things you wanted to do any way you look at it. It would have caught up with you with a vengeance. Thank goodness we have knee replacements available to us.
 
That's what I am thinking. If I don't, I'm crippled. Even if the new one isn't as good as the original, I won't hurt so much. I can see where someone who is very active might notice a big difference. Such as Kelly, someone who skis and such. I don't do anything that strenous, so I am hoping I am not sorry.
 
Yes, if the knee is limiting your life, you will be better off with a fake knee. Almost everyone here is more than happy with their knees. I think I am depressed by the extra surgery this spring to take out the scar tissue. It was just too much to loose a third summer. I went on one long hike this summer---15 miles. I usually hike once or twice a week.

But, at last the snow is starting, I am so happy!! We had a celebration today for the start of the snow. Kelly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom