Guest viewing is limited

Oh groan - bone on bone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I am sitting here trying to concentrate but my knee is aching fit to kill! :cry: I'd forgotten that part of the process. Guess it's time for pills again!
 
Does ice or heat help. Maybe not your knee but can be soothing for you. Feel sorta ridiculous giving you advice but I know curling up with a heating pad soothes me sorry you are having such discomfort

.
 
Oh, ouch Josephine!! Boy do I know the feeling though.. Since I had my right knee done, my left one is now hurting on the lateral side when I step down!! Prior to my right TKR, it never hurt at all!! Go figure. I'm going to my regular ortho Dr on Monday for an x-ray to see what's going on in there and maybe a shot. Funny thing is, in June, a few weeks before my right TKR, I had x-rays of both knees. My surgeon looked at them and said my left knee looked pretty good!! LOL maybe he should have told my knee that!!

I'm sure sorry you are hurting Josephine. Wish this wasn't happening to you. We were hoping that you would be fine until you got this one replaced. Not what you need now, with shoulder surgery right around the corner!!!
Sending good thoughts your way.
 
Jo, I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain! Bone on bone is not any fun, and I remember those days. I will be praying for you!
 
Hey Josephine!
It's like students talking to the teacher. But you have taught us well-but pain does seem to have the most commanding voice at times doesn't it? Does a "stim" like TENS unit help eleviate the pain? That always "muddles" the pain for me somtimes.
Will be thinking of you and praying for your continued strength and resiliance.
Nancy2
 
:angel: Jo, I still remember the ache. I would finish skiing and just sit in the locker room with my head hanging down and wait for the worst to stop before I went home. Someone yesterday told me that I was a lot nicer since my tkrs!!!

I always remember that line from Steel Magnolias----"I am not as sweet as I used to be."
 
I just had a similar situation and cannot believe I was caught off guard. Last week I had a follow-up for meniscus repairs and as we discussed the the pictures I could see where the conversation was headed. I don't have much cartilage elsewhere so should not have been so smug about the condition of my knees. The question now is what comes first - knee or hip?

I had a total shoulder replacement three and a half months prior to a LTHR and had pre-op concerns as well. I had visions of needing a trapeeze after surgery. My OS just laughed at my understanding of modern medical practices. I had no rotator cuff damage and recovery went very well and was not an issue during recovery for the hip. I had a shoulder debridement 18 months prior to the replacement and that recovery was similar. Of course, as you've said, guarantees and comparisons between surgeries/recoveries cannot be made. You've got a lot of confidence in your OS and I'm sure that gives tremendous peace of mind.

Best wishes for speedy and successful recoveries.
 
Oh Josephine, What can I say. Well I think we can say this next year is going to be interesting. Take a surgrey at a time. :heehee: I don't know anything about shoulders so I wish you the best. We will all be here to help. Please take care and be careful. Tashia
 
Thanks all. Only 11 days to go! In the meantime I've had a really 'nice' cold, nose, throat and generally feeling like yuk! Hence my absence. Nose and throat are about better but I still have that energy drain thing!

Now my glasses have dropped down between the seats in my recliner. If I put the leg flap right up, I can just about seem the, grinning at me but no way can I reach them! Needs someone a lot younger and fitter than me to get flat on the floor and wriggle under the leg flap. Even then I'm not 100% it's the specs I can see! Oye! It sucks getting old ........
 
Oh no. You need specs to find the specs. I can totally relate. I have done the exact thing and was scared I would crush them if i moved the mechanism.
 
Josephine, Do take care. When this is all over (surgry) you can start the recovery and feel so much better. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling the best. Chicken Soup coming over the internt for my friend. Eat it all.:heehee: and feel better. Do get well. Tashia :console2:
 
Say WHAT WHAT WHAT???? How in the world did I miss this? My constant and fearless leader is in trouble! I am so glad you have the right doctor. Is the same one doing your shoulders?
I am so sorry you are going through this at all but especially all at once. I wish I could bring you dinner! Keep us posted and there will be NO suffering in silence allowed. And don't worry we won't send you you own mantras. WE will listen all day and all night. xoxoxoxox
 
Thanks Marianne! You are so sweet! The chap doing my shoulders is an upper limb specialist and the one doing my knee is a knee specialist. Both are really sweet, very compassionate, superb technical surgeons, good friends and were wonderful to work with. Best test of a surgeon in that regard is to spend all night with him ..... doing trauma cases, I mean! Oh you do have dirty minds! :rotfl: But if he can at the same time stay focussed on the case and yet caring of the team, he is A1 with me!
 
That's great Josephine. Back when I was hospital based I knew who the best docs were. But not so anymore so it was difficult choosing the surgeon. I interviewed several. But once I was hospitalized I found out who the Cedars nurses respected and would go to. And my guy was the least favorite OS of the nurses. I know I will need the left one done. Will your knee man do the minimally invasive procedure? How long will your incision be (not that it matters but curious!). My guy did not allow elevation, no CPM and did not order the ice machine in house or home. The other docs put a sterile ice pad on in surgery so that you are iced AND elevated immediately. My leg gained 10 pounds of swelling in hospital. What will your doctor order for you? You are so lucky to know your guys....all day AND all night!
 
Well, he does the MIS as it normally applies, meaning the smallest he can without compromising his exposure. My leg is quite fat so I am lucky to have a 7" incision. I can remember 12" incisions being quite regularly done in the old days! Also, surgeons don't 'order' things over here. We have a protocol which the ward nurses work to, different ones for different surgeon, but then again they work as a department so nearly all these kinds of things are applied as a departmental protocol, elevation, icing and such being all part of that. Definitely no CPMs used, generally agreed that it's much better for the patient to do such stuff themselves and they don't really need passive anything. You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how my recovery was! Knee recovery - UK style
 
It's about safety and balance. Most patients who undergo TKR use a walker because it provides more stability than crutches. For many patients (especially older patients), there is less of a chance of falling when using a walker than crutches.

Orthodoc


Okay, my husband asked me today....."How are you going to get up the stairs with the walker? I laughed, there's no way you can take that thing with wheels up the stairs, but he SWEARS the OS said I'd use the walker on the stairs. :yikes: This can't be true can it? I know I'll find out in the hospital, but I laughed at my husband, thinking "no way".

Josephine,

Wishing you the best...you've been an inspiration to us all. Hang in there!
 
First of all, your walker will not be the type with wheels. It will have four legs with rubber tips that will give you the stability you need. A walker can be used on stairs as shown in broken link removed: https://ckm.osu.edu/sitetool/sites/sportsmedicinepublic/documents/OSU_MC_patient_education/joint_replacement/walker_stairs_curb.pdf. However.....most therapists will show you how to do stairs on your own without a walker before you leave the hospital. Remember, your new knee should be fully weight bearing as soon as you can stand after surgery. This is not like a sprained ankle or knee where you'll be hopping around on your other leg. You will be moving slowly at first, but you'll be surprised at how well you can get around the house after just a few days.
 
Well I never did! But what a complicated way of doing things! To be perfectly frank, there really is no need to use a walker after a TKR. After a bilateral, perhaps, but not a unilateral (one). In our local hospital, no knee surgery (of any type) gets to use a walker except perhaps for the first day. After that it's crutches and shortly thereafter, just one crutch. Stairs and curbs are easy to manage if the PTs have done their job properly. .....
 
It may be a bit different in the USA. Here the preference seems to be for a walker for a bit of time at home after surgery because of the increased stability. I think I used mine for several weeks and especially when I got up in the night to use the bathroom. I didn't use a raised toilet seat and used the walker to get up and down from the toilet. But the bottom line will be to follow the guidelines set forth by your surgeon.

I have to agree that the directions for using a walker on stairs that I found seemed cumbersome. I would think it only necessary to do that for leg injuries where you are not weight bearing....not with a TKR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom