Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Thanks everyone again. I didn't walk 9 blocks but 7 and yes Layla you were right as always I am experiencing fatigue like no tomorrow and muscle pain everywhere doesn't help that I carried quite a bit on my back yesterday and while not as much today more than enough it seems. I was discussing with my husband my frustration at everything and dont want to bring him down . He says I am not and have made a lot of gains. He tells me to do nothing but rest and even the hands will take 1 year like the hips--so says the doc too. I said if I had the other type of surgery on my hands I probably would have had a breakdown as it is so much more intrusive and I can't imagine the pain that would have been inflicted.I just have to believe that things will get better. I am going to check about an acupuncturist. My insurance covers this.Fortunately the center is near my home.
 
Well, @mikeycat, I do hope that acupuncture might work for you and bring some relief. I know it can feel discouraging, but I think you should take your husband's words to heart--if he says that you've made a lot of gains, believe him! And also take his advice about resting and taking things easy. Sure, I doubt you can rest 24/7, but being patient and resting more is definitely an option. Even though it feels at the moment as though you've had so many setbacks, you have come a long, long way. Think about how well those hips are functioning! You have so much going on that it's unsurprising that you're tired and achy. Accept that, rest and start up again the following day--it's a pattern and it's progress. You are going to get better, I truly believe that. Hope today is a better day and you get your acupuncture appointment scheduled.
 
I'm sorry @mikeycat
The combination of all you've endured would weigh on anyone. Recovery from bi-lateral surgery, alone, is enough. I wish you could find an easy way (for you) to rest and restore. Sometimes it's difficult, especially while dodging the curve balls that have been pitched your way. Hubby's unbiased opinion was derived from watching you, while he doesn't feel your physical pain, I'm sure he's noticed your physical gain. I wish you would take to heart the recommendation of rest from both your doctor and husband. Your body has been battling continual stressors and at some point will crumble underneath the unbalanced weight of rest vs activity. Please strive for that balance necessary in making a full recovery. I hope you're able to get into the acupuncturist soon. What about a massage also for your bone tired, weary body? May be just what the doctor ordered...
Warm hugs sent along with wishes for brighter days soon. :console2:
 
Last edited:
Well Layla and Barbarj I realize my body has been through a war and I came out alive and I need to go slow. I have to find that center and Zen-like peace within me.I am a seeker. Hypnotherapist says I adapt not just cope which requires certain skills. She is right about that. As soon as I find my method I am still within. I will make an appointment with an acupuncturist next week. I am seeing the hand surgeon and he has questions to answer from me.Thank you for all those words and support and advice--very very helpful.
 
If I am honest, @mikeycat, I confess I have zero affinity for Zen-like states. I've tried meditation, and the apps on my phone for that, and I simply can't still my mind sufficiently to get to that blissed out state that meditation advocates suggest you can reach. But, I definitely think you can practically adapt in ways which make sense for you. This is all a horrible, dreary drag, I'm sure, but you are going to get there in the end--you are one tough cookie and you're been through so much. Celebrate those achievements and have faith that you'll overcome those remaining obstacles (oh, dear--I'm sounding preachy--don't mean to) in time. Chin up, lady, and onwards.
 
Try to keep reminding yourself that taking it slow now is an investment in a better future and hopefully continued recovery without set-backs. You've earned it, you deserve to rest and take it easy. Look at a little TLC as good medicine. It's what you need right now. You've really been blessed in your bi-lateral recovery. Yes, you have dealt with other issues, but you will adapt and overcome. You're strong but you need to replenish the reserves. So sit down, put your feet up and relax. Orders from headquarters! :old:
@mikeycat
 
@Layla You are right about having been blessed with the recovery of bilateral. My surgeon was skilled and had performed countless of these surgeries and is tops in his field-even the incisions are small and streamlined. He is doing research on cartilage--so I am assuming he is heading for a new approach.I benefited and for that I am eternally grateful. You are right when you say it is an investment into the future and ofttimes we forget the goal and dwell on the journey which may be great or challenging. I like challenge so here I am.You have made me more aware of the blessings, thanks.@Barbarj It is a drag but everyone has their challenges. In that I am not alone and some have more than I and to them I wish peace and perseverance. Y
 
That's the spirit, @mikeycat, so true that it really can help to focus on the future and what we know will be a better day ahead. It is so easy to get sucked into the misery of our current situation that we forget we will make it out of this morass of discomfort and things will be improving, along with our outlook on life in general. Did you get that acupuncture appointment scheduled yet? I've never had it before but it sounds hopeful and might bring some relief. Hope today's a better day.
 
Not yet Barbarj but it is a matter of just making an apt. on the internet and usually quite speedy. You are so positive and cheery a veritable ray of sunshine and I always look forward to your posts.And how are you doing?
Have a great week-end as I know you do.
 
Positive and cheerful? Moi? Ah, how sweet of you, @mikeycat! I don't necessarily think of myself that way but I am convinced that, even on my crabbiest days, putting a smile on my face and trying to fake it even if I'm not feeling good can actually work to my benefit. I often find my mood easing into a more upbeat place without the reality of my situation actually changing. I am doing well this morning, still wandering around in my night clothes and thinking about what to do today. Husband is off late morning for a football game (it's rapidly approaching the season where, with both professional and college football games starting up, I'll be a football widow on the weekends until the playoffs) so I have the whole day stretched out ahead of me and need to come up with something to do. Have a great day yourself.
 
It's nice having days to oneself. I have every day of the week to myself and I like it. Didn't go to the country as hubby helping to move son and now it appears I have an infection in my hand and supposed to go to emergency as suggested by doc who did the surgery. He can see me Tuesday(long week-end here) but says not to wait so I have an apt. in urgent care clinic at 11:30 tomorrow--here we go again.It burns and kinda leaves me queasy-best way to describe it. I went out for a walk and to get a couple of articles and I am stiff ,stiff, stiff--so I have regressed in that area--oh well I am still upright and still kicking.I am longing for the day when I deal only with my hips.
 
Wait, what? An infection? Is it your surgery hand or the bug bite hand?
I hope the Urgent Care is competent and gives you good care tomorrow.
So sorry to read your update @mikeycat, and I hope you get out of this rough patch soon!
:console2:
 
Oh, no, @mikeycat! I hope that urgent care was able to take a look at your hand and prescribe antibiotics yesterday. The last thing you want or need right now is another complication! I am hoping by now you're feeling less stressed as the problem has been addressed and you're looking forward to a calmer day today. Hope the hips are doing okay, even if hand is a problem. Cheers.
 
Hello and a happy Monday to you!
I'm so sorry to read this news, mikeycat Its like you're on a bad ride that won't stop. Something's gotta give here. Wondering how the appt went on Sunday and if it's an infection for sure? Fingers crossed it's only an irritation and nothing more. Hopefully you're enjoying some quiet time alone and getting some restorative rest while hubs is helping your son move. Will look forward to an update on how you're doing.
We're here for you and we care. :friends:
@mikeycat
 
Thank you Layla and Barbarj. I did have an infection and the antibiotic given caused side effects but who cares now. Saw surgeon this am who removed the 1 stitch. Said he used most powerful local anesthetics available and has encountered maybe 2 or 3 others like me in his career. He has been doing this for 25 years. Said I had incredible nerve damage. He thinks other hand less damaged. I think otherwise. He offered general anesthesia. He gives a rebate on the second hand so guess no rebate as general will zap that.He suggested the tests but then reconsidered as it involves inserting electrodes-needles- and sending currents of electricity. I said I think not--more incredible pain to tell me what I already know. I have to get the 2nd hand done because my hand is closing and it is giving me pain at night. My right hand is doing everything now. It feels so much better but will take a full year for me to have total feeling--I dont care about that.He says there is also arthritis in it.Now my gait has slowed so I went for a short walk about 5 blocks and I am wiped-no sleep last night. Hubby moved son to new place and helped him set up and clean. Did this over 2 days--no rest for him and today is his birthday but he doesn't like celebrating it. He drove me to the hand clinic while he was talking to several people at work to solve problems--eh gads.I will get us dinner at one of the wonderful restaurants a block away. I will also get dessert.
These hips have cost me big time. I am wishing for an end of 2019.
 
@mikeycat sending gentle, healing hugs and hoping your 2019 ends much happier than its been!
:console2:
 
@mikeycat I’m sorry that you had to fight an infection. I really haven't any words.
You must be exhausted.. but your dinner plans fir your husband sound lovely.
2019 hasn't been our year either. I understand your sentiment in that regard.
Happy to read that your right hand is much improved!!

Hugs.. and sending healing thoughts in your direction. :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Thank you Elf1 and CricketHips . Right now the redness is going away on my hand and the infection has decreased considerably. I am thinking 2 weeks for the next hand. Oh gee thank gawd we only have two---small blessings.I would have liked to focus on my hips and gait and walking but that will have to wait. The PT is expected to call Sept. 20 but I want surgery on the 18th so no go. The place I went to for athletic therapy at the university just a short distance from here sent me an email to tell me I have residual time left and can use it for anything ,massage therapy included so this is great. I may sign up for the athletic therapy again(for arthritics)and be guided one on one. They have a new complex with all these machines. A little light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Atta girl! You will overcome the obstacles.
2 weeks, I hope you can rest up and get as strong as you can physically, for the last surgery. Yes! I’m sure you are most grateful for only 2 hands! :heehee:
Your hips will wait until you're able to focus on them.
Rest, eat healthy foods and get this over with!
Love your ability to bounce back. :yes:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom