Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

So happy to hear you made it through your hand op! The hypnosis sounded like it was useful - and NO needles! :thumb:Chronic pain is so unbearable and can spiral into a horrible cycle affecting your whole body and mind, as you well know. Are there any pain management clinics in your area? Or research projects? Sometimes being part of a research project gets you the opportunity to have new and interesting therapies. Just a thought. But your hypnotherapist sounds like she's on the ball. Hope you find relief somewhere, not just for now but for your future peace. :angel: Best wishes for continued healing and well behaved hips. :SUNsmile:
 
Oh so happy for you! I have been logging on multiple times a day just to look for your update. Thrilled that this worked. I think your idea of getting into a study is brilliant.
 
Hi @mikeycat !! Congratulations on getting through the surgery but was so sorry to read about the days leading up to it and also the painful day, itself. You poor thing. ((hugs)) Hopefully the other aches and pains will subside after this hand calms down. Our bodies can pull all kinds of sympathetic :censored: on us to get us to slow down.
If any one was a candidate for some rest and relaxation from pain, it's you! If it helps, there's a person over here on the east coast rooting hard for you and by the looks of it, you have them all around the country, too!
:loveshwr: :flwrysmile: :loveshwr: :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a difficult surgery day, @mikeycat, but it's OVER and maybe you're feeling cautiously optimistic that you will, as promised, get relief from the awful pain of carpal tunnel. That six hours op of severe post-op pain sounds pretty miserable and I hope you do perhaps consider a pain research program. It's just incredibly unfair and so hard that you are so resistant to medications which work so well for others. I hope you're resting comfortably now, and that within the next day or two the pain will really dissipate completely and you'll be posting again with happy, eager report about a pain-free hand and, of course, that hips are still striding along well. Thinking of you today, and sending pain-free vibes your way!
 
@mikeycat sending healing hugs and pain free wishes your way. Glad the surgery sounds like it was a success and that the care team was so thoughtful and caring with you. You really deserve a break from the pain and hopefully that will happen soon. A pain study sounds like a good idea so maybe they can figure out why normal pain management doesn't seem to work for you. Have a good night and weekend.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Mikeycat,
I am glad your surgery is over. So sorry to hear the pain meds were not enough. Yikes! It would be lovely if they could test to see what drugs work the best.I think they will have it based on genes. I know they can test how your body metabolizes certain other medications, to know what will work best.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Hi @mikeycat
Thankfully the procedure is behind you. I'm sorry it was a rough one. Hopefully you're resting comfortably today and beginnning to feel some relief. You've had some difficult days over the Summer, not to mention the pain leading up to your BTHR. With any luck things begin looking up soon.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
 
@Layla,Mojo333 Elf 1, Barbaraj,Cecropia,Crickethip, Calgal, Fiona444,VSlowLife,enoughpain,hope I got everyone here.Here is what I learned. There are some of us resistant to drugs, anesthesia--allergic. The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla. have been doing studies. Most docs and dentists refuse to accept this which makes it difficult for those affected. They say it may be several things nerve network slightly different than the norm, genetic --mutant gene other aspects. Sometimes using articaine instead of lidocaine helps. Mostly these people are better to go under general.But how do you go under general at the dentist's office for certain work?I always ask for more numbing drugs which usually work. So effectively I dodged the pain bullet when I fought for general anesthesia when I had BTHR-eh?

There is another thing. While I was at the hand clinic for surgery I was given a sedative -IV-needed to fast. Nurse said while hubby standing there I wouldn't remember a thing. Not only did I remember I was just drowsy for about 5 minutes. Also the nurse mentioned the canal would be frozen but not the nerve. I think you needed to be cognizant so the doc could be aware if he touched the nerve. When you go to the endodontist they give you a nerve block(which works) because they are removing the nerve in root canal surgery.

Now all pain has been activated and my body appears to be on high alert that is just touching me hurts,elicits fire in my skin. Gee, how am I to undergo another surgery for my left hand now?
 
Yikes, @mikeycat, what a terrible condition to have, this resistance to pain medications! It really does sound awful and being so sensitive that even touching your skin causes pain would be terrible for any of us. I hope this situation eases for you, you deserve some relief from all this suffering. I can well appreciate your trepidation at surgery for your left hand. Only vaguely comforting comment is that if surgery did work on your right hand, despite the difficulty and pain of the surgery itself not to mention the after effects, it should work on your left hand and after you recover you should achieve relief. But you are a brave woman to accept this situation and press forward. Sending good wishes that the pain will dissipate soon and you can muster your courage as you contemplate yet another painful and difficult surgery. Hang in there.
 
Yikes! Thank goodness you fought for GA going into bi-lateral surgery. What a blessing!
I'm so sorry you're in such a predicament with your resistance to narcotics. The description you give of your body now being on high alert sounds distressing. You have my sympathy @mikeycat.
Your fear of going into surgery for your left hand is certainly understandable but given the relief you'll obtain I'd try to muster up the strength in an effort to get through it all and finally move forward. We're here for you!
Hope today is a good one.
 
Thank you Barbarj. I remember while arguing, on the gurney no less,day of BTHR surgery with both my OS and anesthesiologist who were trying to persuade me to accept a spinal that I would have PTSD post surgery if I had local anesthesia and I guess I wasn't far off. Could you imagine feeling everything. I would have leaped well struggle to leap off the operating table.
I am uncertain whether I will have the left hand surgery as I can tell you the hurt and electric shocks you feel are just about enough. I endured a lot of pain in my life which means I have a high tolerance--one doc said she couldn't believe I didn't come sooner with this ear infection as pain must have been outta this world. Said used to ear infections as a child so...and I had a natural delivery with son and wanted to have him at home.Had miscarriages at home as I wouldn't go to the hospital and just gathered everything.Said most women wouldn't have done this--yup.And the root canals before I found this endodontist,my hero, who can do the work without the agony.
The surgery is a success on my right hand though.I am using it and getting control. Have to do exercises for this too and there isn't a site for people with this but found a blog of someone who was ever so honest, thank gawd, about her journey.
Now I have to go walking as I am getting stiff--this to aid my poor prosthetic hips well my muscles really as the hips are top-notch. And I have another bite--stayed in the city. My arm is swollen but that is minor for me.Waiting, waiting, waiting with bated breath for the end of this year.
 
Oh dear, so now the nerve endings are on high alert? Sighing.. I'm so sorry @mikeycat, enough is enough.

Is the left wrist/hand as bad? Is it feasible to wait a few months to calm things down? This may sound crazy to you but I am going to take the risk. Have you thought about trying acupuncture? That modality has helped me in the past when my nerve pain was so severe and I bet they could do something to calm down your full body reaction. It's not for everybody as some people hate the thought of the needles but I don't see you being a person who would worry about that.
If that isn't a good choice for you then please get in one of your happy places and try meditation. It doesn't matter one lick if you aren't good at it, just the process of trying could possibly calm your sympathetic nervous system down a bit.
I'm not good at it, but it did help me on my tougher days of recuperation.
I completely understand about the jolts of nerve pain, they are nasty stuff.

((hugs))
 
As I read your post CricketHips I thought of the same. I had acupuncture years ago for an unrelated situation and it was helpful. The needles never bothered me at all--never felt a thing. I have been trying meditation as well and prior to surgery did really well with this after surgery not so good. Can't keep the focus as I feel my body all the time. I am still plodding away at meditation anyway.I will wait longer than anticipated for the other surgery as something is really amiss with this heightened sensitivity.
I walked 6 blocks today with a load of groceries on my back. Did not use any walking devices. I was really tired and slept for 11/2 hours. Woke up and everything sore and stiff, went in backyard for rays and to warm up. I was cold can you believe. Trying real hard to stay positive.
 
@mikeycat so sorry you are still dealing with so much pain and now your nerves are in overdrive. I think you and @CricketHip are on to something with the acupuncture. Maybe this would give you enough relief from the left hand and the over active nerves so you can hold off a while and let everything mellow out for awhile.

That's really interesting info that you uncovered and definitely goes to show we have to be our own advocates to ensure we are treated correctly. Sending you cyber hugs that things start to level off some.
:console2:
 
I had GA for my hip replacements too. Surgeon's choice but had no issues.
Hugs and healing vibes coming your way, my double hippy pal.
 
Thanks Elf1, Mojo333, CricketHips. I believe I had fever yesterday and probably from the bite. I now have well whatever it appears an ongoing saga. I am going out today to buy sheets for my son and a card for my hubby and toiletries at the pharmacy--his birthday on Sunday and a cake.The walk is about 9 blocks so we'll see.I am recommencing the exercises given to me by PT at rehab. I will be going back in September. Guess he wants to see me walking like I was 20.
 
I know you're still struggling, @mikeycat, but I have to believe if you're able to walk 9 blocks then you're doing better than before surgery. It is definitely a rocky journey for you, but I am CHOOSING to believe that this will all get resolved, and 2020 will be a good year for you. All of us on this journey get tired, exhausted and achy even doing our daily tasks, but that doesn't mean it's always going to be like that. You just hang in there and accept all the cyber hugs that are coming your way from so many folks on this forum. Hang in there.
 
I can't imagine that the nine blocks didn't drain you today @mikeycat , if walking six blocks yesterday exhausted you enough to take an hour and a half nap then wake up stiff and sore this morning. I fear you're going to end up in the ODIC. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. I understand it's difficult for you to rest but it may be just what the doctor ordered for a couple days. Wishing you comfort and relief from all that ails you. It's been a rough road and hopefully things will begin looking up soon.
 
Last edited:
Hi @mikeycat Lets see,, can we discuss your options for acupuncture? I'd love to see you get to one very soon.
To go even further with this, my acupuncturist was a physician in China, of course she lost her privileges when she moved to the USA. She told me that acupuncture is used during surgery there! It requires much less anesthetic when it's administered.. isn't that something? I would totally go for that and it makes me wonder if it would help you with the left hand, IF it would even be allowed with your surgeon.
She said that they have found that it makes it much easier for the patient's recovery, less anesthetic in their system.
But for now, wouldn't't it be interesting to see what a session would do for you?
In fact, I haven't had a session in a year! I think I'll schedule one, too, just for a tune up.
I'm sorry you had another long walk again today.. hope you are resting.

Please take care :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom