Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Calling about getting second hand 'done' next week in spite of burning still in right hand. Not looking forward even though I will have general anesthesia for those 15 minutes. This has got to end--the pain that is.I have no difficulty enduring things-hey -I had a 'bum' left hip for 12 years and would have endured it more had the right hip not tumbled from grace. I am a purposeful person with no purpose. We, my family, are firm believers in contributing to the planet not extracting and merely taking up space. Dad used to say 'no one should ever know you have been here'--most ecological person I have known.One moves over for the next generation-as granny said to me on her death bed--'don't cry for me I had my turn now it's yours.'
My hips are ok but not where they would have been without the set-backs. I would take the hip problems any day over these painful claw hands and shooting nerve pains up my shoulder.But why not me.
 
Well, for what it's worth, I think your decision to move ahead with the second hand is the right one. It will be, I hope, a few days of pain and difficulty followed by recovery and then a full focus on getting those hips back in shape without this miserable hand and arm pains. I am truly sorry you don't feel like a purposeful person right now. But remember you are doing the best you can in the face of some significant challenges. You ARE purposefully moving ahead to deal with these challenges (cue call to doctor about second hand) as best you can. I sense you are feeling discouraged and anxious, and I'm so sorry, @mikeycat. Life can be really, really hard sometimes. But you are here and moving ahead, slowly perhaps and with understandable fears about what your future might hold, and that's what important right now. Maybe let go of some of those lofty, although worthwhile, aspirations of contributing to the planet and just focus on yourself--it's okay, really and truly! Hang in there, I believe things are going to be looking up for you. I am CHOOSING to believe this--a good and valuable human being like yourself will be "back in business" and living (and contributing to) life fully when the time is right. Patience, my friend, and cyber hugs coming your way from me and lots and lots of others, I think. :console2:
 
Thank you Barbarj. I am having tremors thinking of calling. I have 4 people to call -2 cancels and 2 appointments to make.
 
I think you are making the right decision, re: left hand. I probably told you this already but my mom was suffering with her arms/hands with carpal tunnel. I never realized it could get as painful as it obviously does.

We will be rooting for you and giving support, hmm, I hope that is a good thing! :prayer:
Your granny sounds like a great woman.. as you are now!
I'm so sorry that it's so traumatic for you and wish there was something I could do to help.

Those hips will wait until you are able, there will be no stopping you shortly.
 
Hi @mikeycat
It seems to be the best decision to free yourself of the ongoing pain. Hopefully you'll soon notice the positive effects of the procedure, not suffer any after effects and move ahead with your two new hips catching up on all you've been missing out on. Your future looks bright!
 
Hi @mikeycat how was your day? Did you get a surgery date for Lefty? Thinking of you..
 
Oh @mikeycat my heart goes out to you. It is awful to have constant worries and pain. Your family sound amazing and your purpose will come back soon I am sure. If it was me, I would also get my other hand done too although I know it is such a hard scary decision. Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts
 
@Layla I have little option but to get the left done but this burning feeling in my right after almost 3 weeks is questionable. I had no pain in my hips after several days and this is 'relatively' minor. The pharmacist questions the dosage and says infection can travel through the bloodstream--oh boy.I sure don't want any more effects. Think I have an X on my back.
@CricketHips they called me for the procedure and I said I would call them back.I am going to call the nurse and question why and is it normal my right hand is still burning and still red after almost 3 weeks and stitch removed a week ago.
@Fiona444 My grandmother was a 'Home Child'--the term they used for the children they sent to the colonies (i.e. Canada, Australia etc.) to populate these countries.125,000 sent between 1865-1915 I believe. My grandmother and her brother were sent in 1895-Other brother left in England.

Strange as it may seem I had a good night last night and my legs were loose and I was doing all kinds of things with them and they were so light like many years ago so I was very very happy with that.
 
I remember when my super tight and sore muscles began relaxing, the thigh felt so loose and I kept marveling at the feeling!
I've several clients who've had carpal tunnel surgery and it seems like it's the same as hips or any other surgery. Never linear. I hope the OS for the hands can reassure you and it's not yet another thing! Wishing you a great day!
Never have heard about "Home Child" something new to research tonight :thumb:
 
Strange as it may seem I had a good night last night and my legs were loose and I was doing all kinds of things with them and they were so light like many years ago so I was very very happy with that.

How awesome is that! Hope it only gets better. You're due for a break, mikeycat.
Said as I run from Mojo :rotfl: she doesn't like when we say Break and Fall (Autumn)
Have a great rest of the day!
 
I have an an apt. on Thursday with the hand doc to see what is what. I spoke with the nurse today. At least I get things addressed so I am grateful for that. I am grateful that my hips are moving as they should,and the work that was done, and for this site and the great people here.I am so lucky.
They did a documentary on 'Home Children'--cheap cheap labor it was. 1869-1932--as far as 1970 in Australia they say. My friend in NY sent me an audio of songs and stories about this group.It was haunting. They were not all orphans.Nor was my grandma.
 
Hardly slept last night and my hand is more inflamed and seeing doc tomorrow.Have malaise and pain all over even hips stiff. Hubby cant make tomorrow and asked son but says he has a course but would forego-- no way.I found out that antidepressants are useful in neuropathic and chronic pain and probably I have a central sensitivity to pain and could have been brought on by surgery=PONP postoperative neuropathic pain --chronic pain after surgery which I have read can last for months or years. It can develop if nerves were damaged during surgery. This is probably the hand surgery.I am terribly worried about the other hand because even though I will be under general --there is the recovery period with what type of drugs to alleviate pain.I haven't felt well in weeks now. I am losing weight because I have no appetite,hair of course,I am a bit of a drag. Tomorrow I will take a cab to and fro the appointment.
 
@mikeycat Sorry to read of your complications. I will be praying for things to get better for you in the near future.
Hopefully your doctor will be of some help in figuring things out. Who would of thought hip surgery could cause so many other problems. We are close together for hip surgery and when I had another xray done, all was good there, but the waiting for the healing to be done is way longer than I thought. It can sure bring your spirits down. I can get around pretty good even if it hurts, I just figure gotta move. I will say my house is spotless as I keep cleaning things for something to take my mind off all this slow healing. Everyday I find some nook or cranny to clean out. But it's keeping me sane so far....
♥️♥️♥️♥️
 
I am so sorry Cecropia it still hurts getting around. That must be weighing heavy and I bet the busy cleaning part is keeping you sane. I too know about the healing taking way longer that I thought too but who knew it would be the least of my worries.I started this hand thing because of the walker use.It is so awful but not as awful as the pain that cannot be kept under control and has given me this stress syndrome.I did not have this prior to the hip surgery that is-- I had carpal tunnel syndrome but under control. This walker thing gave me nerve damage.I am at the end of my rope.
 
So it appears that the infection is under control--absent-- though there will be tenderness and pain somewhat for about several weeks--oh well 'man/woman up'. I am grateful no more infection. He asked when I wanted the other hand done. Will 'man/woman up' there too. As I will have general at least I won't feel this surgery. He will give me a stronger dose of advil post-op. I will have to endure the pain for a night --oh well. It was on a scale of 9-10 last time.Now to walk for the hips.
 
Well, @mikeycat, so glad to read that the infection is under control and despite tenderness and pain, that worry is gone. I know you're feeling conflicted about the second hand surgery, and given the pain that you know is coming with that second surgery, I think you are really brave to understand that despite one horrible night, it will, in the end, bring real benefits and maybe allow you to move forward with your overall healing, seems like whole body these days and not just hips. This hideously slow recovery must be so wearing for you, such that the light at the end of the tunnel is still seeming a bit dim. But sounds like the doctor's visit was successful, at least in reassuring you that the infection is at bay. Hang in there, that's all I can really say as I've no magic wand to wave and make it easier for you. You ARE doing the right thing getting the second hand done, I think, and you really are due for a miracle break right about now. Hope you manage to get out and walk those hips today, and they continue to feel like they're healing well despite all these other complications. Cheers and hugs to you.
 
Last edited:
Best news of the day. No infection! :yay:
When are you targeting to have the other hand done? @mikeycat
Hopefully soon so you can put all of this behind you, finally moving forward without pain.
It's been a long haul for you. :console2:
 
I am unsure of when I will have the left hand done. I mentioned the pain up and down my arms and the fact that I had not had this before. He said to get this done and see family doc (mentioned fibromyalgia) eh gads if so it was started by OA and the pain endured during surgery which may have triggered something. PTSD and infection are also described as a few of the causes. I think it is more the nerves in both my arms are frazzled and damaged -carpal tunnel- and that walker.Unfortunately I have little choice in the matter of my hands and will have to deal with the consequences---adapt. If the PT calls next week I will surely scream.I have to go out walking in the park tomorrow. Fortunately it is 1 block over.
 
Hang in there, @mikeycat Regardless of what caused (is causing) this awful pain in your hands and arms, if your doctor really feels you should get the second surgery done, I hope you do move ahead after further consideration. I am so sorry to read your posts which detail this difficult suffering you are forced to endure--wish it were different, I really do. At least those hips of yours seem to be doing splendidly, and I hope the walk in the park today goes well--fresh air and maybe some sunshine might be a bit of a needed mood booster for you.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom