Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Thanks Layla.I am going for hypnotherapy tomorrow and I am calling the respiratory technologist at the clinic where I will be having surgery on Thursday. I am hesitating to call as I am embarrassed by this crippling fear but real pain I experience-and why did the drugs at the hospital not eliminate pain.I believe I am hard-wired differently. A doc at the hospital explained why drugs sometimes work on some and not on others not encouraging for me. I once twisted the uniform of a dental tech while having a root canal because the drug was ineffective. Boy was she shocked.I have flashbacks of pain.Actually the pain from the hip replacements for me while very painful in the hospital because drugs did not work was still more endurable than this hand pain from the needle injection of cortisone in the canal. I had trigger finger twice and they injected both into the fleshy part of the thumb --not too bad but in the bone a real tear jerker but still not as bad as into the carpal tunnel canal.
 
Oh, boy, @mikeycat, sounds like a tough experience with those shots! I agree that hands are supposed to be incredibly sensitive and I am sure shots would be excruciating. But, I am really hoping--fingers and toes crossed--that once your September surgery is done you will achieve quick and lasting results, free from pain and able to push ahead to a full recovery with your hips. Maybe they could give you some sort of short-term sedation before your hand surgery? I am sure not only the pain but the anticipation of the pain must be awful. We are all rooting for you, though--hang in there. Hard as it must seem at the moment, you are going to get through this.
 
Thanks Barbaraj. I am having surgery on Thursday --2 days from now. I have called the respiratory therapist at the clinic who is dealing with all my issues and she has indicated they will give me an IV sedative--another needle but I am so used to these no sweat. I was actually teary on the phone. She explained after I explained my debacle yesterday with the cortisone shot that because it has been so long I have endured carpal tunnel syndrome my nerves are tense, squashed and painful and will give me more than usual pain--lucky me.I am seeing a hypnotherapist tomorrow the same one I saw prior to my hip surgery.
You always offer such sage advice and comfort and know exactly what to say--what an incredible skill and talent you have.
 
Oh bless you. You poor thing. CT is excruciating. I wish you all the very very best for Thursday and a positive outcome. Hypnotherapy is superb and I am sure it will help you!
 
Thank you Barbarj and Fiona444. Well I am anticipating the surgery tomorrow but at least I will have an IV sedative. Have to fast 6 hours before.I'd fast a week if need be.Seeing hypnotherapist at noon--me the science gal-ha.No water here again for the day--city has cut off main valve to do work--more stuff to get that anxiety up to par.Had to ice hips today as both my hands and legs seemed swollen but hands the worst.
Thinking of ahipgma today as she goes into surgery.
 
before.I'd fast a week if need be.Seeing hypnotherapist at noon--me the science gal-ha
I get it...hey, I've become infinitely more open minded during my hip journey.

Will be thinking of you and sending good mojo your way for tomorrow's procedure.
Hugs :loveshwr:my super hero "both at once" hippy pal!!!!!
 
Thank you Mojo333 too kind. These words of support are so consoling you can't imagine and you who was ultimately on this very same journey 2 short years ago can understand the leaps and bounds necessary to advance.
 
Yes, but I certainly didnt have the hand trouble so I think you have persevered remarkably in spite of the challenges.
Keep the faith friend...this too shall pass.
Want you "jam up and jelly tight" for the holiday season.:happydance:
 
It's pouring here and I will be off to the therapist via public transport. I am feeling bizarre and can't stop thinking about tomorrow as my hands throb and my hips feel swollen.Yea I am screaming uncle now.
 
Are your hips having sympathy pains for your wrists?
We need to get you fixed up. Get here already Thursday, mikeycat needs some peace!
Stay dry and take comfort in the fact that relief is in sight. :yes!:
Please keep us posted.
@mikeycat
 
Well about 2 hours sleep and have to fast after 9 am. Hypnosis helped for now but we'll see later. Therapist says past pain trauma in addition to bio make-up responsible for situation. Says docs and dentists are beginning to see the benefits of hypnosis and are recommending it.She says they are doing studies in anesthesiology and I certainly would be a case--oh yea.Since I have had bilateral hip replacements all other systems appear to be failing me--go figure. I have aches in my arms, shoulders and of course hands where I never had any pain. Never did I expect this.It is a very unpleasant surprise and a cause for concern to me.I feel I will never get outta here.
 
I hope you get some relief..I can relate to being tired of being tired and sick..If you can find a nice thing to do today to pick your spirits up
 
Oh, sweetie, I can only hope that things go well today. It is evident in your postings how much you're suffering, both physically and emotionally. Glad the hypnosis helped a little and great news that they'll give you sedation during the procedure. I am sure you're feeling overwrought at the moment, but I hope that it will all go well and you'll be posting again and feeling cautiously optimistic. Hang in there, @mikeycat, you are going to get through this and there are better times ahead. Thinking of you this morning.
 
Good Morning, @mikeycat
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Your luck needs to change and you're taking a huge step toward finding relief through your procedure today. I'm guessing the use of assistive devices and physical stress is what's contributing to the achy shoulders and arms. The further you are removed from your dependence on the assistive devices (I understand you're no longer using them) and the relief today's procedure brings, your stress level should go down and hopefully when you're more relaxed and in less pain the achiness you describe will ease.
We're thinking of you today and hoping all goes off without a hitch and you enjoy the best possible outcome, no more pain! Big hugs :console2:
 
Hi Mikeycat,
I am relatively new here, and by now hope your CT surgery was a success. I had CT surgery on one hand 15 years ago. I remember the hardest thing was hooking the bra, and fortunately my daughter helped with that. The doctor went in through a wrinkle and when I was healed, you would never know any surgery was done on my hand.
I had the surgery on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. It was my non-dominant hand, so I could still manage many things. I think in about two weeks I could type normally.
Over time, you may get a little sharp pain from stretching the scare tissues, here and there. I remember by 18 months there was no more of that. The best thing was no more sleeping with a brace at night. I had lost 50% of my nerve function before the surgery, and had PT to try to get it back, but the surgery is what really fixed it.
I was told the dominant hand would take 3 weeks to be more useful, after surgery. That was 15 years ago, and I am sure your surgeon’s more modern technique, is even better at healing than what I experienced.
 
Hi all. The surgery took 15 minutes.I had been sedated didnt last long and as expected even though they topped me up with mucho numbing drugs still jumped and felt electric shocks. They were quite surprised I wasnt. I had much nerve damage but this doc is skilled and has performed this surgery hundreds of times.I had top notch treatment-nurse,tech,doc and only me there in the operating room last surgery of the day.They offered to help me get into gown and carried my stuff. Hubby of course was there. I have narcs--not effective-and all kinds of directives a 24 hour number to call and they are checking in with me today.Last night was awful-shooting pains up my arm but no pain in my hands.Pain was a 9 at some point and unbearable.But there will be no scar tissue as the minimal incision is 1mm on the wrist. As you see I am feeling better now. I am typing with my left and told I can use the operated hand in 2 days.The worse part save the miserable pain was the 6 hours I had to endure post-op as it felt like my hands pre-op all numb and useless. I feel better now and can move my fingers.
I may get myself into a pain research programme because this is very distressing when nothing works.I am leery of having the other hand done not for the results but the journey and misery prior.
The hips on the other hand performed and I get with ease and walk without devices.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom