Guest viewing is limited

TKR Oh Baby feel the (k)need in me - the sequel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @hopefaith - no worries, @Texas Tee is absolutely right, at the moment I would far rather talk about sandals - and I think my daughter would too! In fact, forget her hearing, we are currently texting each other regarding my plan to buy a hot tub.

Many thanks everybody for your caring and supportive comments, each one is much appreciated.

Like with all these things, life goes on, its just a shame that you can't switch off from worrying. She is very like me and realises that whatever or how scary the problem is, it has to be dealt with head on. You cannot run away from it, and the quicker it is dealt with the better. She is thankful that she is being checked over so thoroughly and that it will be dealt with very, very quickly. However the irony is not lost on her that she volunteered every week with a local geriatric deaf group when she was at Uni and even learnt some basic signing.

All being well, she won't have long to wait before the Prof is ready to discuss the results with her. We know that whatever happens it will mean hearing aids - but she seems to have accepted that, especially as she can have whatever she wants/needs. Typically, she is particularly interested in a type of hearing aid that can pick up some sort of iPhone app so that you can just have music playing in your ears without any devices! I just know she will want that one and the ability to switch off and listen to music without anyone knowing , when life/work becomes tedious.

On Saturday she went to one of her old Uni housemate's wedding. With what has been going on, she said she was more aware of just how much of the conversation around the table she missed. In the past she would have said that it was noisy, people mumbled and it was hard to concentrate............ but now she is aware that other people are not having these difficulties, it is just her, and she doesn't want to miss a thing! Her hearing is at its worst when there is background noise.

Best case scenario now (if you can call it that - but the alternatives are much scarier) - is that genetic or viral damage has occurred. This will be irreparable, but no further surgical intervention will be necessary.

Your thoughts and prayers are welcomed, encouraged and very much appreciated. Its so nice to have so many kind and thoughtful friends on here to talk to. For her sake, it is not my illness to discuss with mutual friends at home until she says it is OK and my husband will not discuss anything until the MRI results are available.
Both daughter and I just wish we had a Fast Forward button to get past the next week or so but we will.

You guys are just the best and I am so grateful to have you all

XX
 
@dogwheels Tell your daughter that I learned very early on they are not called hearing aids any longer. The new term is hearing assistance. When I went back for a revision of my stapedectomy in my left ear, it was unsuccessful so I too wear hearing assistance.
The good news is that while they are difficult to get used to the new versions out there make it possible to be undeetected.
 
Good for her for having such a positive and proactive attitude...and I LOVE that there is a hearing assistance device that plays music, talk about silver lining!! She MUST have that one if she needs one. :egypdance: She can get her groove on anywhere, anytime!
 
Hi @ironman60 - I am constantly moaning that the Bonesmart alert fairy dislikes me as my alerts are really random. It really hates DogloverX3's thread and mine and never tells me when there have been postings. So I have only just seen your post. Ha ha

@Nana moon 27 - I'm good thank you, but how are you? Sounds as if you had a rough evening and night. You are up and about on here early, did you sleep?
Husband left early as this is the second day of a dinghy regatta and he is manning one of the rescue boats. I am going to get the place cleaned and tidied and ready to leave, then sit in the sun until he gets back and we head back for London. Like you do, we are thinking of leaving it until a bit later in the evening before we head back - as the traffic gets really bad. Trouble is it is a beautiful day here today and I think a lot of people will be popping down to the coast for the day and heading back in the evening too. We need to time it just right - perhaps about 5pm?? Husband has the patience of a gnat in traffic jams - no sooner do we slow down than he is looking at the traffic on the Satnav and trying to work out how to get off the motorway and an alternative route!

Hope you feel a bit better today, Ann.

XXXX
 
Ah yes my hubby is the same in traffic. Just a man thing - right Phil?
 
Ah yes my hubby is the same in traffic. Just a man thing - right Phil?

Yes. I certainly have no patience in traffic. I'll pass the guy in front of me doing just under the speed limit even if it is only to be one car in front of him. I also expect the worst of other drivers and anticipate them pulling out of driveways without looking or changing lanes unexpectedly, etc.
 
I'm sorry I haven't posted, but I have been trying to keep up. Glad your daughter's MRI went well and fingers crossed that she's get the official (and not the DIY version) prognosis and plan of action very soon!

Glad you've enjoyed your time at the other house and that your weather is so nice today! Good thinking for the extra cushion on the couch. Vanity and design aside, it can be as pretty as it wants, but if you can't sit on it, what's the use? ;-)

I must say, I have missed your cake of the week though. Please try to stay on top of that. ;-)

Forgot to tell you that all in one day last week I not only saw your squishy freezy cup, but also a commercial showing that amazing rainbow layered cake you made! I absolutely thought of you that day!

I hope you have a safe journey home (you're probably on your way now). xoxoxo
 
Awesome Chris! If you could look up DIY TKR & home rehab, I think you could rule the world. Recovering from TKR AND home construction all in one shot? Brilliant! The brain surgery thing would just be icing on the cake!
 
Hi @71Beetle - yes I am back in London. We usually go down on Thursday and then come back on Sunday.

I am fine thank you. Still doing lots of sorting and tidying to try and get my study into some semblance of order. All the time my knee was bad it tended to be 'throw it in and shut the door quickly'. I am winning and can now see carpet!!!

How are you going? Hope that you knees are not playing you up too much today.

XXX
 
Hello @dogwheels, just thought I would stop by and see how you are doing & hope all is well with you & your family. Thinking of you!
 
Hi @dogwheels, that keeps you busy going back and forth between your places I imagine. Do you go back and forth every week throughout the year?

Congratulations on the progress you are making with your study. I love that sense of accomplishment when you get a glimpse of the end result don't you?

My knee is acting up a bit today but I know it is temporary. I am gong to ask Josephine about a new pain that I am experiencing and see what she has to say about it. I will do that on my thread though. :)

Take care!
 
Hi @zlady - lovely to hear from you. How are you doing - is your knee behaving and are you able to do most things now? I expect your lovely daughter will be on holidays from school soon. Do you have anything planned?
I'm doing fine - still waiting to hear the results of my daughters MRI scan and get her hearing aids sorted - but hopefully that will all be done very soon. She just wants to deal with it and get on with things now.

Sorry about the new pain in your knee @71Beetle - it's so weird all these different twinges, aches and pains. I can remember when I was going every week to physio and each time I turned up I would be reporting an ache or a twinge in a different place. It seemed to be a never ending, constantly moving game.

Yes we go back and forth to our other place throughout the year, but more so when the weather is better in the summer. It takes a couple of hours to get there, but its mainly motorway and I think we could both drive it blindfold by now. We have had the place for 16 years and because it is a private marina, everyone knows everyone else .......... and everybody else's business! Therefore we have a lot of friends there, and a large part of our socialising happens there too. My husband races from March to November, so nearly every weekend during that period is taken up with sailing. I usually go with him and meet up with friends or exercise my credit card(!), but sometimes he will go on his own, or just go down to sail and then drive back. We use the house far more now than we ever used to. We bought it when we were living in Indonesia. When we came back it was difficult fitting trips down around husbands work and daughters school. My husband retired at 49, but was tempted by a contract in the Middle East and so off we went for another few years - so again it wasn't used much. It's really only the last 5 years that we have really been able to enjoy it.

Well a bit more study sorting today. It is good exercise and good practice bending my knee to get down to things, when I have spent so many years bending from the waist. Its proving to be a habit that is hard to break, but I am sure that my back will thank me for it eventually.

Hope you have a less painful day today. Take care.

XXX
 
Hello @dogwheels- Yes, the knee is doing so much better and I still see improvement every week. My walking is better but I still need to improve on it & strengthening the knee. It's been a long road & look forward to this being an "I remember when" time in my life. My daughter will actually be starting school in August & we just got back from a trip to Lake Tahoe to visit family; I felt limited in my walking as I'm still working on the self-confidence thing also. It was a good trip though.

I hope all goes well with your daughters MRI & some type of solution can me made as far as what can be done & thinking of you & your daughter. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Take care!
 
Hello @dogwheels, my life must be returning to some sort of normality, I've managed to do more than just read @nana moon 27s thread!
Having returned home last week all I've done since is washing and clearing up, made worse by having my DiL & grandson stay almost as soon as we arrived home, (not that I'm complaining, I loved every minute of their stay).
In fact my husband and I decided today that we needed another trip to look forward to, so we've booked to return to France for most of September, and then a trip to Devon with my brother and SiL in Devon in October. This means we really must get busy in the garden, trying to get it under control before we go off again. Although my daughter had kept the lawn neat and tidy, the flower beds are now jungles and the vegetable patch, which admittedly we have abandoned is totally overgrown. We have to seriously think about what we will do in the future if we are going to continue to take such lengthy trips. We are thinking of buying shares in a concrete factory :rotfl:.
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend away, take care on all those steps on the ferries, xx Ellejay
 
Hi @dogwheels, hope you are well. Have you finished cleaning out your study? Sounds like it was a bit of a chore for you. Are you headed back to your other home for the weekend?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom