THR Officially a Double Hippie

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Doodles51, I was reading your post on another thread about standing in line and not hurting. I had to smile at that. What an awesome thing! SO happy for you! :)
 
@Doodles51 Just catching up and I am so pleased to hear how well you are doing now with a matching pair of good hips.Great news that your restrictions have been lifted and that you are able to stand in queues pain free and do grocery shopping again.Well done you.Are you having PT still ?
 
@Kim22 Thanks, it is nice to be moving again. How are you doing?

I have PT for 2 more weeks, 6 more visits and hope I get to walking normal. I do fine if I think about it but the brain wants to go back to old habits and limping and tightening up. I had my first whole day trip yesterday. I went to visit my mom 2 hours away while my husband was at football game and then stopped to see my son's college dorm
since I had not been there yet with both surgeries. I found myself limping from sitting in the car and then later that I can't speed walk yet trying to keep up with my son walking down 2 long corridors to his room. But no pain and I have to realize there's a lot more healing to do. I hope you are doing well. After 3-4 weeks it seems everything gets a little easier.
 
I found myself limping from sitting in the car and then later that I can't speed walk yet trying to keep up with my son walking down 2 long corridors to his room. But no pain and I have to realize there's a lot more healing to do.
You are only a month out from your second THR. There's still tons of healing going on - in both hips. A bit more patience prescribed!
 
I am progressing but slowly today has been a little easier for the first time but I am not getting carried away just yet as both my recoveries have been roller coaster rides with two steps forward and one back but as long as I am seeing some progress I am happy.I am signed up to the slow and steady club.I still have muscle pain which is hardly surprising when you think what we go through in surgery especially with the posterior approach but I do feel those muscles are getting stronger and I am moving better.You make a good point about gait as it is something we need to work on once recovered as we get into bad habits due to all the limping we did.I hope you have a great week and continue to improve.
 
@Kim22 you are doing great. It is a long recovery. I want to just take off and move but it's not that easy this soon. I have more stiffness than pain. I'm finding it hard to walk correctly. Ive forgotten what that was like. I start out good then go back to being stiffened up if I walk more than a few minutes. I wish you contuined progress in your recovery.


Thanks @Jaycey I guess I am in a hurry to get moving again. I want to lose another 50 pounds or so, especially with two new hips. I lost 25 before surgery and now gained 10 back but it feels like 100. I'm getting frustrated with the whole weight issue and don't want to start from the beginning again. It took me a whole year just to lose the 25 and that was from lots of time on the elliptical (the only thing I could seem to do to get my heartrate up w/o pain) and really counting calories. I gained 10 after first surgery but lost it before the second surgery, but doesn't seem to be happening after 2nd surgery.
 
I gained 10 after first surgery but lost it before the second surgery, but doesn't seem to be happening after 2nd surgery.
I had this same experience post RTHR and I am far more active now than before both hip replacements. Give it time though. Still early days.
 
@Doodles51, sending out good thoughts about the weight issue. It can be frustrating, can't it? Hang in there. You did great losing the 25 and you will be able to reach your goal weight. Patience is the key (says the person with barely any patience :wink: )
 
Thanks @DeepBreath. I'm losing my patience with not being able to do much for a few years and next to nothing for almost 4 months. I am ready to get moving fast enough to burn some fat, but know that's not going to happen for a few more months. I knew it was going to be a long haul, but still glad I did them so close together and that it's over.
 
Patience seems to be key in this journey, huh? I have been seriously bugged out by the big jump in my weight and then, miraculously I dropped down 7 pounds again! I still think there is a lot of subtle swelling going on from heel to hip. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. of course then I ate a large container of chocolate covered raisins, insane.. :rolleyes:
 
@Doodles51, I hear you! It does get frustrating. And yes, now both surgeries are done and dusted. My bet is that you'll be where you want to be in no time. Be kind to yourself...you're an amazing work in progress. :)
 
Today was my last PT. My range of motion has improved, leg length is now even, balance is good. My right foot still wants to turn in so I'll be focusing on that and walking normally again rather than stiffened up as my body got used to over the past year or two. It's scary to be on my own but I had a great PT and know what I need to do to keep improving.

I hope all of you are healing and moving forward.
 
Congrats on getting through PT and all the amazing strides you've made! You're an inspiration, @Doodles51. Keep up the fabulous work! :)
 
Hi @Doodles51 Sounds like you are doing so well and that you have really benefitted from your PT.I hope you continue to make good progress.
 
I wanted to wish all my Bonesmart buddies a Happy Hippie 2016. I've been off of here for awhile with lots going on with my mom, my son home from college and Christmas activities. I can't wait to get back to focussing on getting back in shape and losing weight.

My mom has gone into a nursing facility a little before Thanksgiving but is doing well. I'm taking over her paperwork, etc and I'm an 1 1/2 hour away. It has been a lot of stress and work making arrangements for her but is all worth it. I would do anything for her. I had her at my house for Christmas and her birthday on the 26th along with my sister from Georgia and a brother and his family. So much for those recuperation days of boredom!!!
It's been crazy busy for the past 2 months.

I'm looking forward to finding a part time job after not working for several years.

Having both hips replaced was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I am so grateful for the timing of recuperation and that I was able to be able to help my mom now and have an old fashioned Christmas at my house for her and family.

I am so blessed to be able to do so much this year with my new hips. It's amazing to look back at the past 2 months and all I've done without pain. We forget how bad it was until our days go back to normal and we don't think about standing all day cooking, baking, cleaning, shopping etc. without pain. 5 and 3 months post ops, I have to say my biggest complaint is stiffness after sitting too long. I also need to get back to more exercising and strengthening. I can feel all the muscles, etc. still healing and strengthening. They want to be worked.

I hope everyone is healing well and enjoying their new freedom from pain.
 
Doodles....checking in on you. I am happy to see your progress! I am still stiff at times, but you are right...it is great to be rid of that pain!
 
@Doodles51
Hello my friend! I'm so happy to read your update and see how well you are doing now!!!! I am sorry to hear you've had so much on our plate, both physically and emotionally! Keep up that great recovery and soon you'll be "dancing in the streets"! Blessings and prayers sent your way. :-)
 
@Doodles51, what a great update! I am so happy to hear that you're doing well and that you're looking forward to going back to work part time.
It sounds like you have been super busy. Sending good thoughts out for your mom. It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas with your family. :)
Best wishes to you for a wonderful 2016! :yay:
 
Hi Doodles

Good to hear you are doing a lot better and you now are packing two new hips, Don't overdo things to much and take care and all the best for 2016

Billy
 
Just checking in since I have not been on in awhile. I hope all of the hippies are doing well!

I finally went to the gym twice this week. I've not been doing much other than pt exercises the past month, not as much walking with the snowier weather and can feel it. I'm starting slow 20 minutes walking on treadmill one day and 20 on elliptical the next visit. My back and hips would be killing me after 10 minutes before surgery, even after using the elliptical for a year. I can sure tell the old muscles from waist to knees need to get strengthened back up, but was nice not to have hip pain. I tried the bike for a few minutes but felt like I was making moves I should not be doing with 2 new hips.

Does anyone have knee pain and almost a swelling feeling in knee after hip replacement? My knees have never bothered before and now ocassionally do. It seems to be one or the other, but never both at the same time. Im dreading the knees will go next. I still seem to have a lot of stiffness and standing up from sitting in chair w/o arms or getting off the toilet is still difficult. That is my only complaint after almost 6 and 4 months after surgeries. I hope it's just a matter of getting strengthened back up. I was hoping that would be over by now. Otherwise, I don't really even think about having 2 new hips.

Best of luck to everyone in their recoveries!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom